Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long to wait before putting things back in cabinets

Posted by eriepatch (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 9:29

We are finishing up painting our kitchen cabinets and I'm wondering how long you waited before putting stuff back your cabinets. Shelves and doors were removed for painting. We painted inside cabinets too. I don't want to rush this but want to get my kitchen back in order. If anyone remembers, we painted very dark stained oak cabinets. Mayonnaise was the chosen BM Waterborne Satin Impervo color. So far I am very happy with the color and the paint.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long to wait before putting things back in cabinets

This is going to kill you probably, but think BIG PICTURE, ok?

I believe when you paint windowsills in your house, for example (it's a horizontal surface) you are supposed to wait 3 weeks before putting stuff on it or it might leave marks)

Only reason I know that is because we had our house painted right before T-Giving one year, and I had to wait it out to put candles in the windows for Christmas. And I didn't know about this "rule", I did put stuff on my mantle after I painted it, and there were marks.

Patience. You've come all this way--hang in there.

Bee

o

Thanks Bee and that's what I've been telling DH. He thinks we can put stuff back over the weekend. I said I'm fine with 2 weeks! This has been an awful process as you know and I sure don't want them messed up over impatience.

o

I put things back into my laundry room a week after the shelves had been painted.

Things stuck to the shelves.

o

Oh dear! I never heard this before. We recently repainted our pantry shelves and restocked them as soon as the paint was dry. I just went and had a look and nothing is sticking and I don't see any marks. We used oil based paint, perhaps the rule is for latex or maybe I was just lucky but I think I had better be more careful in the future.

o

Thanks to all. Since my shelves are out of the cabinets
I may start putting a few things on one of them in a few days
to see what happens. Can always put that one up high if it has marks.

o

A trick I use, after waiting a few days, is to put down wall paper scraps. I cut squares (or circles) a little bigger around than the base of dishes, or items that I want to place. Put the print side up, place items, and after a few weeks, remove the paper. If it sticks a little at the pressure spots, which rarely happens, I wet the residue and wipe it off. I haven't done this on a window sill, but have used the scraps on open shelves. This involves the extra step of moving items out to remove the paper (or not, if you can't see it, and don't mind that it's there), but it sure helps to get the kitchen organized asap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here