Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle16_gw

PiCTURES of cabinets finished at bottom

michelle16
11 years ago

Hi everyone, I want al my cabinets to look finished at bottom.Not sure if I want some of the legs to look like part of the cabinet(they will be custom inset) or if I want it to come out alittle as a seperate piece. I will have long trim with feet on the furniture looking pieces(integrated frig and pantry) and then a straight base with toe kick on island and others. Not sure how it looks when the 2 meet up also.Any thoughts, or pictures would be great, a visual helps so much! Thx in advance! Michelle

Comments (16)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Michelle, I think you may not have gotten any responses because your question is a bit garbled. Can you try to explain your question a bit more clearly? In the meanwhile, I have linked to a post that features "cabinet-style" feet that you may find useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished feet

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angie- thx for your reply.Yes I realize it sounds confusing, I wish I could attatch photos, but Iv'e tried, I can't! You see how in those pix u sent the legs are one whole part of the cabinet itself? well u can also do legs attatched to molding in midlle that sticks out more(it's seperate)kind of like base molding-how it bumps out.I like the look of base molding all round island and some cabs-like Celine's zen kitchen photos-but then I would also like to have the legs like u showed on some areas that bump out, like sink, integrated frig and pantry.Can I combine them both and it look okay? Thoughts? did I really confuse u now? thx!!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

For those playing along at home, here is a picture of Celine's kitchen:

Now, I give you one thought and an offer:

Thought: Although the base molding looks nice, don't you think it will harm your ability to use the area? Toekicks were invented for a reason!

Offer: I understand that you were not able to attach the photos, but I gather that you have seen some relevant photos of the type of leg you are interested in. If you just post the URL (i.e., the web address), I offer to imbed the photos for you.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi angie, i will try and gather some and give you the url, thank you!! I think what I have decided is to do the closed molings(like celine's) just on island and bottom of draws(like katie ob's) for the sink area(which will be bumped out- i will do the valence kind with legs(like the pix u sent)so it will be open where my feet are.I will also do this open leg kind at the bottom of the integrated frig(paneled) and pantry.Those items are also bumped out(deeper) Do u think that would work? Do you also know if Katie OB did it everywhere? THANK YOU for your help!!

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

I guess we mixed both kinds in our kitchen although I did not do any "feet" due to the expense. We have a furniture toe kick like the one pictured on our floor to ceiling pantry cabinets. And the same furniture toe kick on the back of our peninsula cabinets. However, the front of our peninsula has a regular toekick. Although I don't have a good pic of it (and right now with some computer problems, I don't have an easy way to upload new pics), our contractor did a wonderful job wrapping the furniture toe kick around the corner to make it die into the standard toe kick.

Back of peninsula

From Kitchen

Front of the peninsula. You can see the pantry cabinets with their furniture toekick on the back wall. And you can see that there is a little furniture toekick in the corner of the peninsula which was our solution to this gap since there is a wine cooler in the back corner of the peninsula and no cabinets (so no toekick in that corner).

From Kitchen

Although, this is a "not done yet" photo, it shows an arched toekick (don't know the proper name) under our butcherblock. I wanted it to look a little like furniture.

From Kitchen

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Like this? Sorry, the pic's old and not great, but it's the only one I had on Photobucket that showed feet.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

itsallabout thefood- thx so much for taking the time to post the pix, and show me u can mix it up.Nutherokie-that is the exact leg type i want him to make-but i was only going to have it under certain pieces, and then have the reg base that goes to floor on other areas, can I do both?? if not,how did u decide which areas to put it under??thx! Michelle

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Hey Michelle, yep, I've got a mix. In some areas the base goes to the floor for a no-toe-kick look, in others, I have the feet.

I decided, in part, based on where I thought I'd be standing and working for extended periods and thus need the toe kick in order to comfortably stand close to the counter (like in front of the sinks). In areas I wouldn't be standing so much, I went without the toe kick (beneath dishwasher, on seating side of island). And in part, I decided to be okay with what the carpenter did without consulting me (like on the hutch).

I'll snap some additional pictures for you this weekend if it will help!

• vickevette
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle, I have a mix, and it looks fine. Sorry i do not have any pictures that show it well. The only issue I ran into with this was what to do with the dishwasher. We used a two-piece solution for the base molding, where it goes to the floor, with a 3/4" ogee molding that overlaps the faces of the cabinet, over the straight flat piece that extends to the floor (my installer attached that with blocking behind in the toe recess area). Having the separate ogee part that overlapped and attached to the cabinet faces allowed that element to stand alone in areas with a recessed toe kick, so the two different treatments had a common element. It was attached to the bottom of the overlay panel for the dishwasher, still allowing clearance for it to swing open. Anyway, the two piece toe kick trim solved the issue of what to do with appliances with overlay panels--only an issue if you have those.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you both for your replies, vicky-I was wondering what they would do with dishwasher, i will save this post and let the cabinetmaker know-tks. Nutherokie-you have been so helpful with your posts! I was the one that wanted to do the two diff. cab colors and afraid how it would match up.Your kitchen looks so amazing so far. Is it done? I would love to see how you did the moldings, it would really help to see a visual, plus I would love to get another sneek peek of that gorgeous kitchen of yours!!! Thanks again, Michelle

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle, of course I remember you looking for pics of two colors meeting at the crown! I hope you got your ideas worked out for that.

I'm attaching a couple of pics, but the light was bad and I'm not used to my iPad camera yet, so I apologize for the quality. As you can see, my kitchen seems to be getting further from finished the longer we go. Argh. The dishwasher is pulled out, some of the cab doors had to be redone, so they aren't painted, and the fridge front is leaning against the wall. Still, I hope you can see how I transitioned between feet and no feet.

By the way, the difference in the color of the sink base and the drawer base is just a trick of the light -- except for the doors, they're not painted yet.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG!! This kitchen is going to be amazing!! Everything I have seen so far is so custom and top quality, can't wait to see it done! Thx again!! Michelle

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle. I can't wait to see your kitchen, it sounds like you've got great ideas. My DH revamped our cabs and added feet at the bottom, with some base mold.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Lake girl! Yes your picture is exactly how some of mine might be-where it bumps out more instaed of the leg being a part of the cabinet, it's more interesting like that and blends more with the molding in the rest of the house!

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see nuterhokie's kitchen, it's going to be awesome! We decided to go the budget route for now, and get more life out of these white cabs. We found pics in magazines and my DH came up with this look. It takes a little getting used to, as the toekick isn't as roomy as it was. Sometimes I bump it with my toe, but not much. Also, we didn't do feet under the DW (which is sorta in the corner). All the best!