Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuarbc

Musty smell coming from Range Vent

stuarbc
10 years ago

We have only been in our newly built house for about 2 months now....but over the last week or so we have been noticing a musty smell in the kitchen. Almost like what a dog smells like when it comes back in from being outside. At first I thought it may be the sink, drains, dishwasher, or a leak somewhere....but I do not smell it in any of those locations. Then I thought maybe it was coming from the range....but didn't smell it there either. Then last night I smelled it stronger and was able to track the smell to the vent above the stove. We have a forced draft vent that has ductwork pretty much straight up to and thru the roof. I pulled the cover off of the vent and smelled the little metal mesh filter and it definately had the same smell.

The only reasons I can think the vent would smell bad are:
a) Some kind of animal has gotten into the duct. Although we haven't heard any noises coming from the vent.

b) The cap on top is allowing moisture in....but I haven't noticed any moisture drips on the range.

c) the vent may not have the required power/capacity to vent sufficiently and it is causing buildup in the duct that is mildewing.

Thoughts/suggestions on other things that could be causing the problem or how to verify?

Comments (6)