Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Close-up photos of your marble & soapstone edges

julieste
11 years ago

My fabricator does a standard 1/8" radius which I believe is referred to here as an eased edge; anything else is an upcharge. And, I am pretty much getting the line from the fabricator that since soapstone is a softer stone, this is the preferred edge so nicks and chips won't happen. But, I am getting the Green Mountain original PA which I understand is a harder variety. They are planning to make the corners quite round for me though. I am willing to pay more for the upgraded edging if it really makes a distinct difference in the overall look and feel of the kitchen.

I know I don't want anything fancy like an ogee, but I am debating whether this standard edge is too sharp and crisp (and perhaps contemporary)for my kitchen--100 year old house with feel and flavor of a 1920s or 1930s kitchen but not an attempt at a replication.

One set of counters will be marble and the other side of the room (the one with the really heavy duty use by the range and sink) will be soapstone. Do you have any close-up photos of your marble or soapstone counter edges? Do you remember what you chose for edging? Can you make any comments on what you like or dislike about the edge? Thanks.

Comments (17)

• whit461
    11 years ago

This pic is out of our files, so it may not be the best, but you can see the edge. We got the standard eased edge on our marble. It works great for us. Our home is also 100 years old, but our kitchen remodel has modern touches in pulls, sink, appliances, etc. As such, the simple sharp edge and corners work better than a more detailed edge.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

My 4cm Carrara has an ever-so-slightly rounded edge. I don't remember the name, but it was as straight an edge as I could get my fabricator to do. I dislike fancy edges, and prefer straight lines. It's very easy to wipe off my counters; whereas I've read on the forum that ogee edges and similar can be more difficult to wipe as crumbs can go astray down the edge. The woodworker who made my walnut island top matched my marble edge. 17months later and I'm still very happy with my choice.

P.S. Nicely written post.

Edited to add this additional pic of my edge.

This post was edited by breezygirl on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 10:13

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

For what it's worth, my soapstone counters from 1910 have a simple eased edge. The only historical difference being that countertops were not as thick back then.

This is the best shot I can find at the moment, sorry, but you get the idea:

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

circuspeanut, may I come over and hug your countertops? ;)

needinfo, I have an eased edge on the perimeter tops, and a beveled edge on the island. I don't care for the bevel, but it started life as a dining table (from craigslist), so the price was right, and I'll live with it.

This photo shows the black marble tile, DIY eased edge and clipped corner. The KA is on an epoxy resin pad with the same edge. The cabinets are vintage, probably from the 1920s or 1930s.

I'm including a link to threads discussing soapstone edges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Franklin edge

• hsw_sc
    11 years ago

Our counters have eased edges as well and I'm perfectly happy with them. Our soapstone edges are nicked, but our soapstone is very soft and these pics are from just above the silverware drawer and also where we prep (this is a well-used corner :) ). The marble pics are right at our sink, DW and range and we really have no issues with nicks. I think that an eased edge is a pretty forgiving edge and is also a look that lends itself to contemporary and historic looks.

Please excuse the look of my counters! My kitchen is being used in "fast lunch break" mode and has also not had a nice waxing in quite some time! And FWIW, our house was built in 1930...

{{!gwi}}

• bcafe
    11 years ago

I have a basic eased edge on the soapstone.

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all of you for showing me the real life examples. Now it will be easier for me to make that decision as to whether or not I need/want to spend the extra money (and it is quite a bit) to go with a more rounded edge than the 1/8" radius.

Now to clarify a bit. My fabricator as standard will do 1/8" radius. Is this what you mean when you say an eased edge? The fabricator as standard will also do a 1/8" bevel, and I believe this is what mamagoose said she does not like.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

My bevel is more like 3/4" on the diagonal plane, and 1/4" on the vertical. Sorry, I should have included a pic, but I don't have a recent close-up.

Here is a link that might be useful: bevel on carrara island/table (in old kitchen)

• enduring
    11 years ago

Here is my new soapstone sink and counter in my new bathroom which I finished last month. YIPPY.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I went with a half bullnose for my marble wall unit (only because my main counter was the same and I didn't want two different "plain" edges so close together). I like how it accentuates the veining that I chose to be along that edge, too. And this was not an up-charge at all. Standard pricing.

And an ogee on my nearly 200-year-old pice of "King of Prussia marble" that topped my mantel in the living room (always an up-charge from I was told):

This post was edited by KevinMP on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 0:17

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I used a 1/8" roundover edge (an eased edge) on the edges of the countertops, and a 1/4" roundover around the edge of the sink:

BTW, I did these myself, and there was absolutely no difference in difficulty of doing 1/8" vs. 1/4". It seems a shame if there were to be an upcharge for this!!

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone's photos are so lovely. Thanks so much. This will really help when they come to do my template tomorrow.

Enduring--great sink, and a great DIY project.

Angie--what you said is so interesting. I had just assumed that it would take more passes with the sander to make a more rounded or smoother edge and that would be the reason for the upcharge. Apparently not.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

You know, now that you mention it, I may have made two passes with the 1/4", and only one with the 1/8". But still, we are talking minutes additional work! (I also did the bottom edge of my countertops with 1/4", so it was more than just the sink. It was perhaps, I dunno, an extra 8 minutes work.)

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually when the guy was here to template today we discussed edges, and he told me that for them when working with soapstone it is probably actually easier to go with a bit more of a rounded edge than the standard 1/8" radius their company quotes as standard. And, he told me I didn't want to pay all of that money for the upgrade on soapstone because apparently, even though they do a lot of soapstone counters, the office person uses granite as the standard when figuring out up-charges. (I can see why it might be much more time and effort to make a more rounded edge on granite.) So, we'll see because I think he is going to go a bit more of a radius that the standard, but I won't have to pay the big bucks for it. I think we'll both win because they won't have to be quite so careful not to sand too much off (apparently something quite easy to do), and I'll get closer to what I want.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

FWIW, I used (and I think this is normal) a router with a carbide roundover bit, either 1/8" or 1/4". It was a breeze. No worries about taking off too much or too little.

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

I went a bit more than the 1/8" eased edge, more like a 3/16" softened edge...