Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maries1120

Faucet frustration - only 3 options?

maries1120
12 years ago

We have a window over the sink and have some damage from water on the current sill. So in the remodel we are looking for a faucet with a handle than moves forward only or just back slightly. The only ones I have found are:

Grohe LadyLux

Hansgroghe Allegro E

Elkay Harmony

Are there others? Originally I was thinking under $500 but OK with less than $650. Or any opinions on the ones above?

Thanks.

Comments (17)

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Maries-it might be a little early for my brain to process properly this AM, but are you saying you don't want a faucet that moves side to side? Or are you referring just to the controls?

If the controls are the issue, did you have a leak at the controls that caused the damage to the sill? If so, I would opt for a faucet brand with a better track record than the previous one you had. The reason why the controls move front to back as well as side to side is to control flow rate in one direction and temperature in the other. Which would you be willing to give up?

Another option is to mount the faucet so the controls are positioned in the front, over the sink vs. out to the side. It seems to be the 'in' thing to do right now.

I know this doesn't give you any other faucets to look at specifically, but I'm hoping it offers greater insight into what you're asking for, why you're having a hard time finding it, and other options that may work for you :-)

• salishsong
    12 years ago

I ended up with a Belle Foret with a similar design, ordered from FaucetDirect.com. I had a Grohe LadyLux in a previous kitchen, and I loved it. It was too pricey this time, and not really the look we were trying for either. Can't speak to long-term quality on the Belle Foret yet, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Belle Foret faucet

• davidro1
    12 years ago

The side protruding handle that rotates down in front, but not back, has been invented for those who want that particular way of turning water on. It IS good when one wants to avoid turning the handle partway back.

--

Handles that protrude to the side are easy to photograph. The image corresponds to what many people want to see. Then, there may be a hundred million or two, who think this is "the way" for all faucets to be.

Another option you have is to get a faucet whose handle position allows it to be centered. Then, the cylinder where the handle is, is pointing forward. Another recent thread dealt with this center-handle positioning.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

If I am understanding your questions correctly, I think you have more options that you think. I got the Moen Brantford and it was not expensive. You can have the lever go front to back as it was designed or others have turned the lever to go from left to right across the front of the faucet. That way, dripping hands are over the sink not over the windowsill in your case. Hope that helps.

• minty19
    12 years ago

I had the same problem and I just installed (and love) the Hansgrohe Talis C. The handle rotates 90 degrees. Standing up straight and you pull toward you. Does not go back toward the backsplash. Polished chrome was $370.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansgrohe Talis C

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is just the control that I am concerned about - we need the faucet spout to move.

I thought about the controls in front but DH didn't like that since it didn't feel as natural and I agree. Even though he is left handed he likes the control on the right. I like to encourage DH using the sink! :)

The water issue seems to be from water from wet hands turning the faucet off over the years rather than a leak. The current handle is mounted separately next to the faucet but while we like the side mount, we didn't want another hole in the quartz.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

new habits are easy to learn, when it comes to handles on faucets.

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Minty - thanks for the feedback on the Hansgrohe. I like the design of this one too. Between the HG Allegro and the Grohe Ladylux I like the Allegro a little bit better.

There is a Whitehaus Rainforest one I like the looks of but not sure how the handle works. I emailed them but haven't heard back yet.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

The Whitehaus Metrohaus can be mounted with the handle to the front. We considered it but went with the side.

I believe several folks who used to be here have done the similar Kohler Vinnata with a front handle mount.

I think more can be front handle mounted, but most folks don't want to put their hands under or through the water stream to turn the faucet on and off, so the side handle is more popular. Our hot water can get hotter that I want to put my hand through if I am running only hot to soak something. That and what we were used to were primary reasons for keeping our handle on the side. I get drips, especially when DH does dishes, but I wipe up frequently. Caulk is also important.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

If your wet hands are the culprit, then what about a Tapmaster? Your hands won't go near the faucet.

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What is a Tapmaster?

• oceangirl67
    12 years ago

What about those new smart touch faucets?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I strongly encourage you to rethink rotating a faucet with the lever, or stick, in front. I was dismayed when my plumber told me that my cleanup sink Hansgrohe faucet would have to be rotated forward instead of to the side like I expected. It really took me no time at all to get used to it. After using the faucet this way and having to wait for my prep sink install, by the time I did get my prep sink I made sure to rotate the faucet front just like my cleanup sink. I can't believe how little water gets behind and around the faucet with the lever facing front.

A Tapmaster is a nifty device that allows you to control the faucet hands-free using a foot control. I have the Euro 1775 which only turns on and off with your foot. There is another model that lets you control hot and cold as well as on/off. With mine, you still must use the faucet hand lever if you want to go from hot to cold or adjust flow rate. The majority of the time I turn my faucet on I don't adjust water temp or flow at the faucet, but there are still plenty of times when I still need to touch the faucet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about faucet lever facing front

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Here's a recent thread on Tapmasters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tapmaster thread

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

drbeanie - I thought of that but wnat to limit the number of holes they put in the quartz.

I will try some moving the handle in the front and see if that feels like it will work. I think it would vary with the height and width of the handle and the spout reach. I am not opposed to the 3 I posted though but want a faucet that is made well and that I like aesthetically. Our kitchen is smaller too so I don't want anything too big that will look out of proportion. I have a couple of appts next week at Plumbing showrooms. I'm sure they are used to dealing with women obsessing over faucets and these details.

• txjoyce
    12 years ago

If you have a Costco near you they may have the Hansgrohe for about $249. We got ours there and it's an Allegro, but probably last years model. They also have the Grohe Ladylux on their website for sale -- you don't have to be a member to buy online, but there is an additional fee.