Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen_maman

Small galley kitchen reveal--lots of pictures

kitchen_maman
10 years ago

I am to share my small galley kitchen! It is so much more functional than the original 1951 layout. This was part of a huge renovation we did on the house that is just finishing up, so you will see that we are still putting some places back together. Unfortunately, it was a cloudy day so it is darker than usual in the spaces, and I forgot to turn on some of the lights. I hope you enjoy!

Edited to say that these pics are from my cell phone and iPad. So some of the color is off. Ugh, when I edited the HTML corrupted so I had to reload the photos! Sorry!

Before:

And after:

Under cabinet LED light

I put my son's plates in the buffet so that he can put his things away out of the dishwasher, and set his own place at the table. He likes to help and this gives him easy access. I also did this for our oldest, and she still likes to help...start early habits!

New place for the dog to eat

Close up of the marble

Close up of the floors

Dining room--buffet

Close up of backsplash

Our Ikea sink

I love my pantry! Still have to fix the door and paint the shelves

Kitchen in progress making doughnuts. This is also my prep space and I just love it! I have so much more room.

This post was edited by kitchen_maman on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 10:10

Comments (56)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kitchen - I can't see the pictures, so will have to look later - did you move the pictures to a new folder - it looks like the links are missing or else my computer is having a brain fart.

• kitchen_maman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I edited the post and the pics disappeared...I hope others can still see them!

It was supposed to be a 16 week project. Instead it was about 26 weeks! We did not DIY. We had an architects design the addition and I mostly had in my mind exactly how I wanted my kitchen to function. We lived in the house for two years before the project and I am so glad. I learned a lot about appliances and design for these forums. I fell in love with Bee's original kitchen before I found garden web! I loved the old look of white tiles with black grout so I decided to mix the two!

The paint is SW Earthen jug. I love orange and wanted it to warm up all the white and black. I wanted as much white as possible because the only window in the kitchen is north facing. But we do get very nice light form the windows in the front of the house, east facing, and the dining room which is west facing.

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

I can't see the pictures either. Please repost them.

• eleena
    10 years ago

No, no pix, they are gone.

Please get them back!

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

Where are the pictures?

• rosie
    10 years ago

No, they're gone. I'll come back. :)

• shelayne
    10 years ago

No pix :(

• AnnaA
    10 years ago

Oh my, just beautiful! Everything from the marble to the color scheme, the oven... And that floor! What a wonderful "updated" version of a vintage look.

And those donuts....YUM! :-)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Tell me about your lovely flooring. What is it? Your kitchen is stunning and most especially the floors!

• deedles
    10 years ago

I see the pics. Beautiful! Love the wall color and you tile is so pretty! Really nice, I'll bet you are loving it!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I also love the flooring tiles. It is all fabulous. The arabesque tiles with the marble and Aga are so gorgeous together.

Love the SW Earthen Jug! Great color!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

Every element is beautiful, and together they are wonderful! I love the black and white marbles together--it's so simple, yet very elegant. It's great to see that you are already enjoying your new kitchen!

• kitchen_maman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly, the floors are Nero and "arabesquato" polished marble tile. I have always loved the look and was determined to have them some day. I am so loving them!

AnnaA, that is exactly what we we going for a slightly updated "vintage" look.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Wow! Really, just wow! I absolutely love the way the counters, floors and that gorgeous backsplash all flow together so beautifully. By the way, those doughnuts are making me hungry!

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

so charming....unexpected how great the floor looks in dining room-it makes it all flow and look a little bigger-smart move!

• eleena
    10 years ago

Fabulous!

Love your white tile with dark grout!

Aren't those pantries great?

• rosie
    10 years ago

I can see why you're loving cooking in there. The flooring, counters, old stove, glass door on the pantry, and more--so much to like. Happy cooking, Kitchen Manan.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

wow, what a transformation! Beautiful! You must be thrilled to pieces.

• Linda
    10 years ago

Beautiful! What a neat stove! and it all goes so well with the hood and BS and gorgeous marble! What an improvement!

• kiko_gw
    10 years ago

Great job! Love your countertops, sink, backsplash,pantry and cabinets.

• elissahart
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Congratulations. And I love that you included some "in action" photos--I feel like there aren't enough of those here.

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

I can see the pictures now! Looked at them all twice :). Everything is so wonderful--the counters, the space, love the flooring and the pop of color on the walls! Fantastic job!
    Have to say I also like where you put your son's dishes. My kids fight over the sweeper with the short handle. Got to start them early is right ;)

• neesie
    10 years ago

What a pretty "real" kitchen! I'd love to come over and hang out sometime!

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

What a transformation! The aga and the marble look gorgeous.

Love the arabesque bs with the dark grout! Can you post a close and share details of the tiles, the grout etc?

• angie_diy
    10 years ago

Va-va-va-Voom! That is lovely!

Naturally, I LOVE the floors! :-)

• blfenton
    10 years ago

What a difference. It's a beautiful space - so much brighter and more open. Like many others I love the floor and how it goes right through the dining area and the marble. What a great combination.

• kitchen_maman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let me remember everything! Lol

Countertops are honed marble, called Venato and I chose that over the Carrara because it was slightly whiter and had some brown veining. Just like the tiles I chose for the floor.

The cabinets (I almost hesitate to admit) are the much maligned Merillat. Our builder suggested them and had an account. I have some in the classic and some in the masterpiece line. They are maple with white paint. I truly hope the reason people have such problems is because they had the really cheep bottom line product. Their showroom was beautiful.

Hood is vent-a-hood, got a great deal because it was a display-half price.

Floors are Nero and arabesquato marble. Polished. With black grout.

The backsplash is Merola Tile from Home Depot. I went with matte so that the floors were the shiny bling bling. I used the same black grout as for the floors.

Aga legacy 36 inch dual Fuel. I just LOVE cooking with it! Discounted because he ordered it for display, but never displayed it!

Tall fisher and paykle DD. I have a nice sized drawer below that has my tupper ware! Again, discounted because it was unwanted after purchase.

Fridge is a Kitchenaid.

Sink is Ikea 24 inch

Faucet is Brizo Belo, prep sink size in chrome.

Under cabinet lights are LED E2 contemporary tape, hard wired.

Paint is SW Earthen jug in kitchen, Grey Cloud in dining room and On The Rocks in the living spaces.

When I first discovered Gardenweb a year ago, I was convinced not to go with marble countertops. Then I met a salesperson who convinced me to reconsider. She was Indian and said she didn't have any problems like I was describing (staining). So I went on a search! Then I discovered the whole "are you a linen wearing or admirer from afar kind of gal?" I jumped for joy! I wear white linen all summer long! Lol. Love it. So after talking to my husband, we committed to marble. And we are so happy!

Let me know if you have any questions!

• 66and76
    10 years ago

Oh, kitchen maman, how lovely! I would enjoy that kitchen forever. Congratulations on achieving your vision. CLASSY.

Would you please post where you purchased the marble floor tile? Did you have to special order it?

Thanks.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

congratulations, I'm so happy for you. May you wear your linen (marble counters) happily for years to come! I love the counters and the floor, the bs, and of course, the doughnuts!

• kitchen_maman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pink, I used mosaic tile company. I used the location in Rockville, MD. They were amazing and so were the prices. We also got the same white marble, brushed for our bathroom. We bought brushed "temple grey" for our daughters bathroom. The contractor's discount was even better. It was equal to or better than man made tile!

I don't think the black marble was in stock initially, but we did not have to special order any of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic tile company

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Lovely remodel, but I've gotta say the one thing that stood out for me was . . . THE FLOOR. Classic, yet bold. I love that it continued on into the dining room. A small space of checkerboard is "not enough", but you did it right.

• kitchen_maman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! Again!

I have to say that I had those moments of panic when I was seriously doubting that my vision would all pull together.

MrsPete--thank you! I had a hard time convincing everyone that it needed to flow into the dining room, but I thought it would make the space look bigger. And I agree, if you are going to do the checkerboard floors, you should go big. :)

• scootermom
    10 years ago

I. Love. Your. Floor.

If I had that flooring in my kitchen I would dance all the time (hmmm...guess I'd have to install ServoDrive, too).

The whole thing is beautiful. I'm not really a marble person, but I love your choices. Your floor tiles make a gorgeous, bold statement, while your lovely countertops whisper softly yet beguilingly. Perfect!

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

beautiful and so unique! love the bling from the chandelier, and of course the range is to die for! congrats!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wow - Glad I came back to visit. Go dance away from the kitchen to the dining room on your great floor. A bold move but you will love it!
    You have some nice features in your kitchen - the big drawer and of course your pantry - and how could I forget your special spot for your son's dishes :-)
    Enjoy!
    PS - Save me a donut!

• mrspete
    10 years ago

One question about the floor: I assume those are 12" squares?

ScooterMom, I'm not a marble person either, but I like this floor.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Lovely job! So many beautiful elements. I'm a marble lover and user also so I completely understand!

• JessicaBee
    10 years ago

Obsessed!!! Love the back splash and hood/stove area. Job well done!

• kitchen_maman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MrsPete, they are 12x12. Even if you don't like marble, I am sure you could find a man-made equivalent. :)

I should follow up with some interior shots! I have some nifty interiors...pull out cutting board. I bought Ikea wooden flatware dividers, which are slightly too large to fit on the bottom of my drawer, so instead of sitting on the bottom. They sit on the lip of the drawer, and I have storage under them! Bonus!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love the cabinets, the hardware that ties in with the beautiful floor and beautiful backsplash, the appliances, and the gorgeous marble counters! Thank you for sharing.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    10 years ago

Love it!

Your backspash reminds me of the old flooring in my parent's 1960s home (they never updated anything). It was light olive green with darker olive green borders, pretty much the same shape as your backsplash. Your backsplash is definitely more stylish than that old flooring ;-)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Wow, glad I had time to take a look, that is a sweet kitchen! LOVE the floor, it looks so nice flowing into the dining area. And it works so well with the backsplash too.

• shelayne
    10 years ago

Oh my, I just **LOVE** this! Your floor makes me want to cry, it's so fabulous! The marble counters are amazing, the backsplash, the windows-- everything just works together so beautifully!

Congratulations on making your vision a reality. It is perfect!

• alvmusick
    10 years ago

From one galley kitchen owner/renovator to another - Bravo! I absolutely love your choices.

Here's to another amazing galley!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

This is my second look and I just have to say again how much I love your kitchen!

• bpath
    10 years ago

My second look, too, and besides the dreamy floors I'm noticing the placement of your pulls on the drawers. Unexpected and absolutely perfect and makes perfect sense. Also liking that the cabinet pulls are different from the drawer pulls. Can I ask, was it just cause you liked it, or was there a functional reason?

• bowyer123
    10 years ago

Very nice! I love your BS, especially how you to added to the height. Every picture you posted I kept thinking, 'I like THAT, and THAT and THAT!' I'm sure you will love spending time in there!

• deedles
    10 years ago

Say, what are the lights on the ceiling? The curly ones specifically. Now that you've had them for awhile, do you like them? Anything you can tell me about them?

I'm thinking about something similar for my kitchen ceiling for the overall lighting with task lighting otherwise.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love your cabinets, your unique stove, your beautiful marble counters, the red toaster and the doggie place mat! I love your dining room chandelier! Thanks for sharing.

• kitchen_maman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again everyone! I enjoy cooking every night and spend a lot of time in there in general!

Brooklyngalley--thank you! I just love the galley, and it flows so well!

Bpathome--the placement was functional. At first I was going to place them all the same. Then I realized that the under sink would be different and my husband thought he would always pull the wrong way. I like them high for the drawers too. Very convenient.

Deedles, the lights are Vaxcel Lighting SP53718 Spotlight Contemporary. I love them! They provide so much light. I loved that they were curved and had the square crystal glass. We do have task lighting too to avoid shadows. I love that we can direct the light. I have light directed into the pantry, the microwave, the bar area, and three directed at the stove/sink area. I am posting a link below. We bought the lights from Furgeson.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen ceiling lights