Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Experience with Vermont white granite?

Mom23Es
11 years ago

We tagged two slabs of vermont white for our kitchen last week. Late last night I got the price quote, and I'm having some sticker shock. For 90sq ft, the stone is almost 6k- plus a few hundred more for sink/range cutouts, edging, measuring, delivery, and installation.

Is there another name for this stone? I have come across posts where it is briefly mentioned, but I'm still not sure I understand. Is it actually a quartzite? Does anyone have experience with this stone? How does it hold up? I was told it's pretty soft. (We wanted an ogee edge, but we were told it's so soft that it will just chip and not look pretty.) Is it beautiful enough to justify the price? I'm a bit nervous about this. 6K for our kitchen counters?!?! OMG. Should I run?

Comments (12)

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I'm pretty sure Vermont white is marble, which would make sense on it being soft. Although I'm getting marble (statuarietto) right now and it is having an ogee edge.

• ratrem
    11 years ago

So that price is just for the stone and not fabrication. That seems about right, if it includes fabrication I would say that is a great deal. I would think fabrication would add a few thousands to that estimate. I am sure that is a marble not a quartzite. It is very beautiful.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Also, I should have noted that 6K for 90 feet sounds really cheap to me (Detroit area) if that includes fabrication/installation. I have approx 11x3 island - no cutouts, but I do have ogee edge and my marble is almost $5K. I had 52' of granite on my perimeter (again with ogee edge) and that was at least $5k.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info! Maybe it's not so much? We're in the Midwest where things tend to not cost as much. However, this is twice the price of the level 1 granite our builder had included. We have been assured that it's granite, not marble, but I've read conflicting opinions in old threads here. I'm wondering if anyone has recently used it? The stone shop said they sell it as fat as they get it in.

I saw that azwildcat's kitchen has this. Is she still around?

Here is a link that might be useful: Azwildcat's Vermont white

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Hi Mom23,

You're sure it's not Vermont Danby Marble? I just did my kitchen with Vermont Danby, I've written about it several times and love it. It's definitely marble, although one of the benefits is that less porous than carrera or calacatta marbles, making it somewhat more stain resistant.

You might want to send a pic of your slabs to the helpful folks at Vermont Quarries, the Vermont Danby marble comes from. They can probably help you identify your slabs.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.vermontquarries.com/

• ratrem
    11 years ago

Well vermont danby is definitely marble, but I have seen what is commonly called super white referred to as White Vermont so that is probably what it is. It is actually a quartzite and probably a lot more durable than marble and looks a bit more gray. If you google White Vermont granite quartzite you will see photos of it, it is more commonly referred to as Super White and very pretty. Did the $6000 include fabrication?

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ratrem- Thanks so much for that tip. I google for white vermont quartzite and found exatly what we tagged. I wonder why they call it granite around here. I mentioned quartzite at one point and several people insisted I was talking about Caesarstone quartz. I don't have a pic of the particular slabs we selected, but here's a pic from a 2010 gardenweb post by lexmiss. This is exactly the type of stone we picked.

The total cost to measure, fabricate, deliver, and install for 90SF plus 2 sink cut outs and a rangetop cut out will be about $6500. It seems outrageous to me, but I guess that's because I'm comparing it to the level 1 granite that is already included in the price of our house. This is double the price. It sure is pretty though. :)

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Yep, that's Super White granite. That's the first "white" granite I saw and thought it looked like marble and I loved it! Your price seems good to me in Detroit. Not sure where you are in the midwest. Level 1 stuff can be way cheaper (about $39/sf here), where my blue pearl granite was like $80/sf or something (plus fancy edges, sink, etc.).

• Alexandria Evers Jutzi
    7 years ago

Where did you get it priced from? I am also in the midwest and love the vermont white, but I was quoted 7500 for 66 square feet, and it seems really high to me...

• Harbourside LLC
    6 years ago

I have had white Vermont in my kitchen for over 4 years. The cost on the east coast was about $72 foot installed. Not cheap by any means but the product offers an exceptional look with no rings or staining. I have yet to figure out what the material actually is although I was told it was a granite and not a marble. I have a builder friend who uses cheaper Carrara Marble to achieve a similar look but the product stains easily, leaves water rings and is not user friendly in a kitchen. (I did use carrara over a desk area and it has held up very well) I will be using White Vermont again based upon its proven durability and beautiful look in a new beach house project.

• aliciap414
    4 years ago

Im in New york and have been told its a quartzite on its way to turning into a marble. Ive been looking at it too for my kitchen reno and loved it. Ib still haven't gotten price as of yet.

• PRO
    Phoenix Granite Fabrication, Inc.
    3 years ago

Super White is not a granite and it's not a regular marble. It's a dolomitic marble. It's a harder marble than carrara or others that are carbonite but dolomitic has magnesium in it as well making it a bit more durable. It is the same type of stone as Fantasy Brown (which like Super White has multiple names like Tuscan Dawn, Moonstone, Canyon Dawn, Brown Fantasy, Beach Wave and Sequoia) Your stone supplier should know the difference, but sadly, many don't. Ask for the geological information for the slabs you are considering. There is also a very rudimentary test you can do when you're considering stone. First is the easiest. Take a glass bottle with you. If you rub the side of the raw slab with the bottle and the bottle scratches, it's a silica-based product like Granite or Quartzite. If the stone scratches, it's NOT silica based. (Some marbles contain pockets of quartz or veins of quartz which is why some will try to sell it as quartzite) If you can get a sample and pour vinegar or mountain dew or lemon juice on it and it leaves a mark, it's NOT silica based...(not granite/quartzite) Granite and quartzite are silica based (natural quartz) and NOT susceptible to etching from the acids we see daily (coffee, tea, wine, juices, vinegar, soda, etc) The calcium based stones will chemically etch when exposed to these items.

I hope this helps! All of the material can make a beautiful kitchen and can be professionally protected. Granites are the least amount of 'maintenance' As long as you understand what your stone is and how it reacts and you know what to expect, you'll be fine.