Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srahndennis

What concessions did you make due to your budget?

Stacy Rahn-Dennis
14 years ago

Struggling a bit to balance everything and wondered how others dealt with this issue. Did you choose a different cabinet manufacturer? Door style? Finish? Countertop? How do you feel about it now?

Comments (43)

• ellendi
    14 years ago

Make a list of what is very important to you. For me, it came down to keeping the kitchen the same size and layout. We were then able to get higher end cabinets. Also, I didn't go for all the whistles and bells, inside features that are not seen from the outside. I do have one lazy Susan in my corner cabinet and a spice rack. I have to say though that I could have done without the spice rack because it only fits small jars!(I just went along with the KD's idea.) I think the quality of the cabinets are the most important.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

We had originally planned to "bump-out" our kitchen (and the then-DR, as well as the bottom half of the house) by adding an addition. We knew roughly the cost of an addition, and figured out that it would take pretty much all the money we had for the reno. We'd have had to wait a very long time to furnish the kitchen (if ever!), or would have only been able to furnish it with the very cheapest of cabs, appliances, etc.

We opted to stay within the footprint of the house/orig kitchen, change a window, and open up the wall between the kitchen and the then-DR, and vault part of the ceiling (which we had planned to do addition or not). By forgoing the addition, we then had the ability to choose what we wanted for our cabs, appliances, counters....(still within our budget).

• willis13
    14 years ago

Bwaaaaa. I made the concession on my budget!

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, willis!!! I've done that, too. I'm already keeping the same footprint and flooring. I just can't seem to get cabinet and GC budgets to come together. I wish we were DIY but definately not an option. I wish I had the skills and time to GC myself. Again, not an option. I'm expecting to choose a less expensive granite. My sink and faucet choices are not too crazy. I'm sure I'll leave the backsplash until later (not a big area, anyway).

• morgne
    14 years ago

LMAO! I'm with Willis And Srahndennis. I didn't bother making a budget at all. I just added up what it would cost to do what I wanted and started moving ahead. Not that I would recommend anyone else do it this way!

But I can't think of a single thing I "want" that I didn't get...

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Sold a house, got another job :oP

You can save in a lot of areas. I wouldn't skimp on cabinet quality but I would use a lesser countertop if the one I wanted was too pricy at the moment, then save for the future one (ie use formica today and change to stainless later). Knobs can cost a freaking fortune and I saved a fortune on mine by shopping the net hard. I also did a huge amount of shopping online verses local. I saved a fortune one some things like my faucets, tiles and sinks because we have only one local store and they take advantage of that by literally being 40 to 50% higher priced than the average price anywhere else...discount prices are even cheaper (and since I was buying out of town I didn't care who I got things from).

I saved another fortune on lighting by using antique lighting refurbished. Ebay can be a real friend to your budget! I wanted some antique lights that were a few grand each and found them on ebay for 500 (for four) rewired for about 30 each by a professional and I learned to paint them....so way way way cheaper!

• segbrown
    14 years ago

I nixed inset, and the paneled ceiling. Saved about $12,000 there. Still haven't installed the speakers etc, although we have wiring. THat's another couple thousand. Pretty much everything else, oh, except window treatments, but that's partly because I can't decide.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

We didn't look at high end granites. (Well, OK, I looked! But didn't get.) We went from a small project (mudroom) to a big addition with almost every room gutted, so we were blowing out the budget anyway. We had allowances built in for things like tile, granite, custom cabinets and carpet; some of those we exceeded but tried to stay in line with the granite allowance for the kitchen and bathrooms. So the 'exotics' were out. I don't regret it - I love how our house turned out. And someday if I really want to I could probably get new granite, but I'm happy with what I have.

Other little things: I got my cabinet hardware at Target and Great Indoors, and all my ORB switchplates and outlet covers at Target. Those little things start adding up, because you need so many. And I reused an old granite counter for a new fireplace surround and the counters in the powder room and mudroom... so there are little ways to save, sometimes.

• macybaby
    14 years ago

Most of my budget "help" has come from DYI and working as we have funds. Took me an extra year to save up when I decided I wanted an induction cooktop and double wall ovens. Original plan did not figure replacing any appliances.

Original plan also included basic laminate countertops - so now I'm hoping to have funds saved up by fall for something much nicer.

BTW - my original plans were all done before I found GW - funny how at one time I thought I was perfectly happy without all the extra stuff - there are so many things that I didn't even know about 3 years ago that now I feel I can't live without!

Cathy

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

I picked what was important to me - range and granite and got what I wanted. For other items I shopped for less expensive alternatives. I would have loved crown point cabinets but I'm not too woo'd by cabinets so I got a solid mid range frameless line - Cabico. I picked an inexpensive tile. My faucets finishes are chrome. My other appliances are Samsung and kitchenaid. I think if you get a few things you really want the other choices won't bother you.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

I wanted the soapstone for $12,000 but had to go for the DIY copper counters for $1,200. :-)

We used recycled cabinets and an old $15 hospital prep sink. Haunted eBay for deals on knobs, faucets, tiles and lighting. Learned to tile, plaster, paint, refinish floors and match cabinet stain. Made my own window treatments.

I spent my big money on new appliances bought locally to ensure good warranty service.

• portland_renovation
    14 years ago

I gave up inset doors and the tin ceiling that I wanted... I can still add the tin later on if I come up with the money, so that was an easy one.

We also did the demo ourselves, as well as any other work we felt we could handle, to keep costs down. I put less glass into the cab uppers than I would have liked, but enough that I feel like we got a more airy feel. I also got floor model appliances, so the finishes don't match (black stove, SS fridge and DW), but I can always swap those out later.

• kaismom
    14 years ago

My husband is taking some time off from work. In the meantime, he is acting as the GC, so that will save some money.

Our kitchen is completely open to the living room and dining room. So we can't really update the kitchen without taking the dining room and living room into consideration. My kitchen remodel is really for "cosmetic" upgrade. I am not changing any floor plan or getting more counter space per se. So architectural detail of the entire floor is driving the total remodel package.

We were thinking of replacing 30 ft of railing with modern frameless glass railing. At $200 to 250/ft, it added up. So will only replace about 6ft of it and probably leave the rest as pony wall done in dry wall. Decision still not completely made, however.

Looked at doing the grain matched veneer paneling for the entire wall. It came in at 20k. Nixed that idea quickly!

I REALLY want a baby grand piano in the living room. We mocked up the space and it works well in it. (Craigslist has some fabulous bargains) May wait couple years before buying one. May rent one in the mean time.

I know these are not the usual part of kitchen remodel but it was a part of our remodel budget package.

I have been coveting Henrybuilt cabinets for 10 years. We live in Seattle and walk by the showroom often. I looked at other cabinets and priced them out. Decided that it was worth the price to have it for me! Complete splurge and probably NOT worth the extra money in terms of quality or other aspects of it. But it really is a visceral decision for me. I am very honest about that.

• User
    14 years ago

Haven't bought anything yet, but so far, I've cut from the appliances budget:

Looks like I'm getting my counter-depth fridge from IKEA, since it's almost 1K cheaper than anything else that depth.
    Also, keeping my existing dishwasher til it dies, even though it won't match.

Will also paint myself, and probably sew my own window treatments.

• doonie
    14 years ago

I always stay in budget...mostly by changing my budget! Seriously, it is difficult and my project has expanded enormously in scope. I have given up little things like a warming drawer and changed the glass mosaics on the powder room wall to pebbles. I am using plain Jane white subway tile in the laundry room, but I really wanted handmade tile there too. I am using my old refrigerator in there until it dies and then I will replace it with the upright freezer I really want. I think I will probably be doing the uncovered part of the patio and walkway in concrete rather than the pavers:( So, lots of little things. I think it ends up being very individual as to cost savings.

I have a GC involved with contractual amounts allowed, I have gone over on the backsplash tile, and I will be going over on the lighting.

Igloochic's idea on the hardware is great. Little things like that really do add up. I think I am allowed $13/handle or knob, and I will be staying in that range. (Hopefully I can find something I like at Top Knobs as that is what he uses!)

Good luck to you. It is a stressful process and I am hoping it is well worth it in the end!

• eastbaymom
    14 years ago

So far, the budget is still expanding! To limit the rate of its growth, we are:

- not moving any walls
    - not changing out the window or the sliding door
    - considering demolishing the soffit ourselves
    - painting ourselves
    - installing backsplash tile ourselves
    - keeping white refrigerator (for now)
    - checking appliance, sink, faucet, and cabinet hardware prices locally and online

• canicci
    14 years ago

Waiting longer to do the renovation, so we can save more. We won't just do our kitchen, it's also the 2nd bath, laundry room and an addition for a 3rd bedroom. It will fix space issues in our house. So we'll have to wait longer before we can do it, maybe another 2 years at least - I'm getting ideas now though. We might be able to do it in stages, eg kitchen sooner and then addition later on.

I will have to make compromises on appliances - but anything is better than the 20 year stove and fridge that I'm babying so they last until we do the work. I would love to have marble counter tops, but I know I can't deal with the etching. I might go for one of the white quartzites to have similar look, and my mother has a large cutting board sized slab of marble that she uses for her pastry - I'll do the same.

Our main priorities are fixing space issue in the house, and I want more counters. I'll just have to keep reminding myself of this.

• bireland
    14 years ago

- Instead of a warming drawer, we installed a stainless steel shelf ($15) above the range and under the hood which has heat lamps. LOVE IT and use it every day.

- One wall oven instead of two. So far so good...may need to plan (and cook) ahead a bit for a big dinner party. But I think that's okay, as I prefer to have desserts and an item or two done early so as not to be too hectic and to enjoy guests.

- No wine cooler, but we didn't have a great space for it anyway.

- Careful choice of tile for floor and backsplash.

We negotiated EVERYTHING (or at least shopped for sales and best price)

• rcvt
    14 years ago

DH can do wiring and plumbing, so best big break there. I can paint.

Kept original footprint.

Nixed the soapstone; kept our boring-as-hell granite, figuring it will last another fifty million years.

IKEA cabinets. I don't have expensive cabinet cravings and I like IKEA's functionality. The contemporary look fits our home.

IKEA cabinet hardware. They had exactly what I wanted, and at a crazy-cheap price point.

Got an induction range at a good sale price (wanted cooktop and wall ovens; couldn't eke out the necessary wall space once we decidede to keep the original footprint).

Splurged on refrigerator (Liebherr! Found a local dealer and service expert so my servicing worries were lessened. Took me three years to take this plunge. Lust was involved. I can't explain refrigerator lust. Never had it before hanging out at the Kitchen and the Appliance forums and then seeing a Liebherr in person.

Splurged on a wall-mount Kohler Karbon. eBay had a very good deal, which diminished some guilt. I can't explain faucet lust either. I absolutely wanted a wall-mount, and our home is contemporary (as if that were sufficient excuse!) so the Karbon is perfectly functional as well as incredibly cool.

Planning a Kobe, not a Futuro, vent hood.

Planning to postpone backsplash until I see how things look.

Nothing but the stove is in yet. Cabinets should arrive in about four weeks. Then we dive in to demo and building.

In all, we are on budget if not on schedule.

I will take the oft-posted advice here and lay in a good supply of wine.

rc

• motherof3
    14 years ago

Our renovation included opening the kitchen to the FR and also opening the FR to the sunroom. We originally planned to cathedral the ceilings, but had to nix it to keep within budget. We went with maple instead of cherry cabinets. I selected a less expensive door style, but the cabinets are still good quality. Instead of expensive corbels, I went with table legs for my island.

Besides that we're just trying to not go overboard with any of our kitchen choices - moderate granite, backsplash tile, cabinet hardware. I purchased a Kraus sink online. I went with chrome finishes on my faucet fixtures since I really didn't have a strong preference for the more expensive finishes. I also bought those fixtures online and saved. We went with a avg name brand wine fridge instead of the subzero (but splurged for a subzer fridge). I'm also expecting not to be able to purchase funiture for the new FR for awhile. I told the kids we would have a new kitchen open to the FR, but no furniture to sit on!

I know that if we go over budget, we would have the $$ to cover it. That alleviates a lot of stress for me, but I'm trying to spend every penny wisely.

motherof3

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

I was fortunate that the custom-made cabinets (with lots of drawers and pullouts!) and granite that I liked best were on the lower end of the price scale. I'm also keeping my vinyl floor which is nearly new and looks like tile. Keeping my old fridge which is now the wrong color but still working...will replace in the 'right' color when it dies. Just replaced hood and DW in last 8 months anyway. Got a $200 rebate on the DW.

Splurging a little on the induction range, Silgranit sink, Hamat faucet, and marble backsplash. Saved some money by shopping online for these things and also got a good deal from the local lighting place.

The only thing that I've given up that I really wanted (besides building a whole new house) are some $$$ knobs. I can always replace those later.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

Because we are retired and doing things ourselves, we have conceded massive amounts of personal time. Our timeline is now 4 months over budget and growing longer and longer.

Every so often, I just ask, "Why not hire out this task?" DH's answer is invariably, "I want to do this." The unsaid answer is "I want to do this AND I'm saving money."

DH has almost no time to himself and I spend time dithering, hovering, messing with internet resources, driving around, trying out ideas, etc. My regular activity is on hold, perhaps for another 6 months. One of the greatest liabilities has been that the time lag has given me too much cerebration time and I've begun to rethink my earlier decisions, over and over. In the last couple of weeks, I re-thought a part of our floorplan and now we've decided to punch through the wall we had previously decided to preserve. This will add more mess and more delay and the cost of two pocket doors plus trim. This week, I am rethinking the lighting, which I was so proud to have finished deciding on 'way last January.

I've begun to look at higher-end products under the spell of a new "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" attitude that will be very destructive to the budget and the calendar if I continue to heed it.

• sayde
    14 years ago

Like florantha, above, we are retired and planning to do some of the work, for many of the same reasons. DH wants to do all the cabinet work. We had earlier planned to do a gut remodel with new cabs --I always wanted a white kitchen but felt so awful about tearing out the original gumwood. We have now decided to keep and rework the gumwood. So that saves a lot of money and also relieves me of the guilt I was having about ditching the gumwood. There are very few houses left that still have the original gumwood cabinets (c1927) in a fairly pristine state. Had thought about a new window but, keeping the current one. But as far as the other choices, we are getting what we want.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I worked on two kitchens with a client (although I didn't design the first one I consulted), I designed the 2nd one.

#1: pre divorce, big house: Inset full custom cabinets, latches, soapstone sink and counters,(Cabinets and countertops ~ $50,000: client doesnt even know for sure) total kitchen budget close to 100K

#2 post divorce, small house: Full overlay Thomasville cabinets: $13,000. Formica basalt slate countertops under $2000, black composite sink.

People who come in (and don't look all that close :)) say "You pretty much duplicated your other kitchen!"

With 20% of the budget we got really close, and it still had pullouts and other bells and whistles. Except for the expensive cooktop and hood in the big house, the appliances were similar.

It clearly ISN'T the full on custom kitchen, but almost every element in every kitchen has its "High" option and its "Low" option, (and gradations in between). You decide what needs to be the "real thing" and doesn't.

• jrueter
    14 years ago

I agree with bostonpam - if you get a few things you really want then you won't notice the "concessions" so much. For us the granite counters, removing the dropped ceiling and moderate upgrades on cabinets were important. I also got nice, but not top-of-the-line appliances including FD CD fridge, convection range and convection mw (instead of a second oven) and worked the sales. We saved the dishwasher which was only a couple of years old, shopped for deals on flooring, windows, lighting, machine-made instead of handmade tile for backsplash. We used a gift card we got with the purchase of our windows for all the cabinet hardware with some left over.

We also started a year later than we had originally hoped which allowed us to save a little more $$ for some of the splurges

• babushka_cat
    14 years ago

oh such a good question, facing the same challenge. it has been an educational process. this is what i have done so far, still learning:

made a spreadsheet with all the items i wanted, researched estimated costs, pushed total and presto 20K over budget! i had to take a hard look at what i was not willing to comprise on and then took a look at what was left. like others have posted, this is where i had to cut:

-i am painting myself instead of the GC $2000 savings
    -am tiling back splash myself $1000 savings
    -doing some of the demo work myself $800
    -Purchasing some stuff direct to avoid the GC markup (TBD so far $2000, still negotiating)
    -Bought range at scratch and dent sale $550 savings
    -will be purchasing out of state on the internet when price is good and shipping is free.

still over budget but less so than i was and am still looking for ways to cut as i get updated estimates.
    good luck, keep us posted!

• sally123
    14 years ago

I really, really wanted Crown Point cabinets. I got Medallion instead and saved $20,000 on the kitchen alone (we did about 75% of our house). Now I love my kitchen and rarely think about it. I don't know how we would have paid for it anyway. I'm afraid most of my decisions became the "damn the torpedos" variety.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I wanted inset cabinets all the way up to ceiling and a paneled frig, wanted everything flush and built-in looking. I wanted a beautiful range hood and shortened 8' windows for extra cabinetry along that bottom wall. I really wanted 15" deep upper cabinets to fit all my big plates.
    What I'm getting...Full overlay cabinets at standard depth, 35" wall cabs stacked ontop with 18" wall cabs (but not all the way up the high ceiling), no window changes that would allow extra cabinetry. A new French door CD refrig (not paneled).Micro/convection oven remains over range so no beautiful wood range hood but will be getting 6" spice cabs on each side. Ended up doing my own design due to the fact that the person I hired just took one of my ideas, then measured (ALL WRONG) and charged me. I love my final design. Ordering all Conestoga cabinets online...everything but electric and countertop will be DIY. My budget is at or under $15,000 and that includes the new frig & sink, all other appliances stay.
    I am happy though because I'm getting all wood well above average quality cabinets with mostly all drawer bases and high-end glides.

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

My budget? :( I must have not made enough concessions!!

• Sharon kilber
    13 years ago

Here is a link, to Bob Vila, he, has a budgeter, for kitchen remodeling. It is kind of fun to see if your, in your budget. sharaz http://www.bobvila.com/KitchenBudgeter/KitchenBudgeter1.html

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments! Loved the Bob Vila calculator, shar-az. Nice to feel I'm not alone in compromising. Part of my problem is that I really like to cook so I'm spending more on appliances than typical (induction cooktop, pop-up downdraft [cooktop below window], monogram single oven w/advantium [as opposed to double oven + micowave], etc). My estimates for painting have been out of this world --- I have wallpaper to be removed, texture then paint. But some of them have been $4K. Really??? I may just have to have someone do it after. Not giving up yet....there's some way to make it all work!

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I don't feel like I conceeded on anything I really wanted. However I quickly ruled out all kinds of things that I knew would add cost. Though our kitchen space was an odd shape, I did NOT expand the footprint beyond the original space. I didn't get any extra, specialized appliances - got the basics only - a fridge, ovens, cooktop, dishwasher and a hood. No wine fridge, fridge drawers, warming drawers, etc. Also skipped extras I'd always been able to live without like pot fillers, heated floors, etc. I got the counters, cabinets, cabinet hardware, tile, lighting and appliances I wanted and some of them were expensive but I could have spent A LOT more. My kitchen is now five years old - still very, very happy with it.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I don't really feel at this point I have made any concessions. We waited until we had the money so we could do it the way we wanted. The money is starting to run out though and I think the expensive light fixtures are not going to happen. I also would love a new kitchen table and I don't think I dare ask for one!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

We are doing things in stages to spread the cost out over time.

Painted kitchen walls
    Got granite and painted kitchen cabinets the following summer (IKEA hardware, again, good bargain)
    I DIY'd backsplash
    Got floor model for Samsung induction range

Great idea on the IKEA CD fridge. Seriously considered that one.

• ciana
    13 years ago

The most painful compromise was I sacrificed an optimal layout and had to keep my downdraft instead of getting a vent hood. :-( We had to keep our existing cabs, plumbing etc., so I made modifications to the cabs instead like extending the island out to make it much bigger and one height (plus I have a hidden pull-out baking island), replacing doors with drawers (LOVE them!), and ripping out the closet pantry and replacing with a custom built-in. For the built-in pantry, I made the sides into shallow cabs and plan to use it as a charging station, mail/paperwork clutter and the other side as a spice cab. It cost less than the cost of replacing all my cabs and got me most of the custom features I wanted.

However, the layout still doesn't give me an optimal baking station and clean up and prep areas are the same. I end up using the same corner of my island for everything. Then again, maybe it's user error and I just need to retrain myself to use my new counter space!

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

I remembered I did make concessions. I decided against heated floors and tongue and groove ceiling--only to save money.

• paula0564
    13 years ago

We compromised on a few things that would have been nice to have, but I found other things in my kitchen that I love. I thought of granite, and quartz, and tile floors. BUT, I found a solid surface by hi-macs that looks really nice. I found a vinyl flooring that looks super, it's cushy and warm on the feet. We're not doing a backsplash this summer. Hubby has been doing this a a DIY project that started last October. He's done the electric, plumbing, sheetrock and painting. Now its the install of the cabinets and the floor.
    I love my wall color and way my cabinets are looking against it (just have the uppers on, the bases are this weekend! whoo hoo). I will post pictures.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

We are just in the process of having the old kitchen ripped out to make way for the new.

Cabinets were a definite compromise for me. I settled on Schuler for quality and really liked working with my cabinet guy. But I ended up getting a door style I originally loathed but am A-OK with now. I wanted some cabs with white paint and I am getting that. The colors of the cabs, I decided, were more important to me than the door style because, I figure, the color is what is really going to get noticed.

I wanted a soapstone sink and I am getting a soapstone sink. Not the type of soapstone I wanted though, however it was the look, not the quality, that got sacrificed.

Going without garbage disposal because need to save money somewhere.

Original sconces I picked were around $80 a piece. Not a huge amount for lighting (needed 4) but ended up going with $16 sconces. Other lighting in kitchen also on the cheap.

Other than that, I am really getting everything I wanted. I am grateful for the internet to allow me to really price engineer this kitchen!

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

The dreaded "concessions." :(

Our original plans submitted for permits included an addition of a breakfast nook as well as bumping out our family room and adding a master bedroom.

The biggest concession was waiting on the addition. We kept the kitchen within the existing footprint, but expanded it by taking out a bathroom (we're down to one now!) and by moving the laundry room to a closet (love the location, but it's not big enough).

I was able to get the appliances and inset cabinets that I wanted so much.

I'm still waiting to complete my lighting (pendants, sconces and in-cabinet) and I don't have any window covering yet either.

It may kill me to rip into a finished space to do the addition down the road, but I sure am glad that I'm loving my kitchen. It would have been really hard for me to compromise quality on the kitchen to do the addition. I would have wanted to rip it out down the road.

In a perfect world, we would have done EVERYTHING all at once, but alas, circumstances are not always perfect. I think we conceded on the right thing for us. :)

• donnakay2009
    13 years ago

Once we saw how much all the "infrastructure" stuff was going to cost in our old house, I realized that the appliances would be a place where we could get middle-of-the road items instead of the pro range, great hood, and so on. I like my Maytag Gemini range just fine so far. The OTR MW is working really well, too (I'd never had one before, despite all the negatives on GW about them...so it was new to me). Eventually I'd like a much better DW and fridge, and someday a vented hood rather than a MW over the range. But for now, we're enjoying an all-new kitchen.

• pat_123
    13 years ago

We had two plans drawn up. One included removing two walls to incorporate unused space and one that just used existing footprint. We referred to the bigger plan as the "110%" plan. After figuring what we'd spend on the same foot print vs the price difference for larger footprint, we decided to go w/ the 110% plan.

The cost savings came in the appliances (reuse 3yr old stove, shop for DW and fridge on sales), purchase of a great Ticor sink recommended here, and on-line purchases of cabinet hardware, and faucet fixtures.

We went over-allowance on the granite, but saved a bunch back by changing from tile floor to engineered hardwood (most of the cost savings was in labor in our area - ymmv).

• shelayne
    13 years ago

My dream kitchen is something along the lines of a cross between the "Something's Gotta Give", Christopher Peacock, and acountryfarm/jbrodie/julia/elizpiz kitchens (to mention just a few GW inspirations), but we have neither the space nor the MONEY for those unbelievable spaces, so I constructed my own version.

I designed the kitchen, and based on my design, slowly set about purchasing items for it. Though it has worked out for us, it definitely is risky if you take as long as we have in the process, as your appliances could run out of warranty. Our garage continued to fill with my "little acorns", as DH called them, as we were able to spend the money. We did not want to do this on credit.

Our biggest savings has been with labor. When you get DH and I standing in the same room, you have our construction team. I am Design, Planning, Painting, and Assembly. DH is Production, Engineering, and Finance. We make a pretty good team and haven't killed each other. Yet. ;^)

So instead of all fully integrated, paneled appliances, stacked inset cabinets with dovetailed drawers, and large, deep farmsinks, we have IKEA cabinet boxes with all its fittings, custom doors that I will paint to be my dreamy creamy white with moldings, trim, and accents that we have added. I did get one large white farm sink and a copper prep sink that I love--on ebay. Instead of the $500 faucets I spied, I got Price Pfister at bargain prices, and I actually really like them.

I am a huge internet shopper and found absolutely incredible bargains. I learned to be a supersniper on ebay. :^) I even bought my appliances from there and saved hundreds of dollars.

I was not planning on soapstone, I actually coveted Blue Pearl granite, and my patience paid off because I found someone who gave me my dream granite for a remarkable price. I did not get the fancy edge I wanted, but I am OK with that. I got the fancy edge on my IKEA butcher block (longed for a walnut top from Grothouse)instead.

In place of yummy Gramercy Park-like tile, we have Menard's standard 3 X 6 field tiles, listellos and trim pieces that were on clearance, so our backsplash was very inexpensive, relatively speaking. My Giorbello glass and marble mosaic was the most expensive part, but I only needed a few sheets, and I purchased them online for a decent price.

I will be sewing my own bench cushion covers and window treatments, versus having them custom made for lotsa $$$$.

So we made many concessions so-to-speak, but I am--so far--really pleased with how this is turning out. I will always feel a little wistful when I see these amazing kitchens posted on GW and elsewhere, but I won't feel that I totally missed out. I will always admire a beautiful kitchen.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Trying to balance want vs need is challenging.

Sheylane- I loved reading your post. : )

Ellendi, great advice.
    I too, wrote a list of wants and needs. There were some
    things I really wanted and some I did not need. I had to
    make choices. I had a strict budget. I did not want to
    borrow. We have college tuitions coming up, we
    want to own our home rather than have a mortgage and hope
    to retire in our mid 50s. I had to be
    practical about my renovation.

I wanted a Wolfe range but settled for a Bosch.

A lot of choices and sadly some things I could not get.
    The pot filler I dreamed of was not meant to be. There are
    some things I had to have. No butler's pantry or new
    cabinets, overall I feel great about my choices.
    It has been a healthy balance of want and needs.
    But...
    I have a blast living vicariously through others
    doing their renos. I adore GW. I love kitchens.
    ~boxer