Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

My Kitchen Facelift Journey part2

greenhaven
9 years ago

firsthouse_mp was kind enough to inform me that my first thread would close after 150 posts, so I started this one up.

Today is Sunday, and yesterday I hung most of the rest of the cabinet doors. I have left off the island doors because I do not have the right paint color for them, yet.

I also made a trip to the BBS to get trim boards for the island, three more upper cabinet end panels, and a hardware attaching template.

I will post some photos later.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen Facelift Journey part 1

Comments (95)

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So today was consumed with getting the parts I needed to finish the under-sink plumbing and, well, doing the under-sink plumbing. I am NOT going to give a blow-by-blow accounting because it involved some very naughty words and fit-pitching and tool-tossing. The worst day by far, but not a disaster so i still count my blessings.

The sink is in! The first true "crisis" during this whole remodel was getting all the parts onto the new sink, including the clips that clamp it onto the countertop, getting a nice, fat bead of caulk on it, flipping it into the hole in the counter and discovering the clips are not adequate for the 1 1/4" thickness of the new countertop. Local hardware is closed, Home Depot is a twenty minute drive away, no one is answering their department phones and the caulk is curing.

I made the loop through the customer service phone system two full times before i got random department that actually had the plumbing guy right there with them! I explained my problem and my panic and he said "No worries, we can help you with that." Boy howdy, did he ever! He located clip kits for thicker countertops, walked them to the contractor service desk so all I had to do was zip in and zip out. The gal behind the desk said, "Oh, we are just going to give these to you. Next time buy your sink here." *wink, wink* My new favorite home improvement store!

I rushed back home to get those clips on before the caulk cured; I had left it with my monster cutting board weighing the sink down and the quartz sink cutout on top of that!

The new clips worked a treat and the rest of the job went pretty much without a hitch. That said, it was a royal pain in the you-know-what to get the old clips off and the new ones on while under the sink in the cabinet. Not some of my best moments.

It was, though, a joy to turn on the water and everything worked and nothing leaked! It is so pretty!

No pics of the stove yet, as it looks like a giant saran-wrapped cube in the back of my truck, still. Tomorrow I have have HAVE to get the fence finished or the horse will have no place to hang when she gets here tomorrow! I do not expect that to take long, though, so hopefully the electric will get finished and the stoves swapped.

Another pizza night tonight, crock pot tomorrow, but am cooking a MEAL, baby, in my new kitchen on Sunday! I am way behind where I wanted to be when the counters went in, but a lot has changed since then, and I am fine with it. I still have backsplash to install, trim work to do, walls to paint, LS doors to finish and a floor problem to over come. No biggie, right? LOL

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And one little teaser pic! Counters where previously there had been none...

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

nice job, I enjoy watching your progress. I've been there...

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Greenhaven, you're really a great blogger. You missed a calling in journalism. I would follow a weekly column by you any time.
    Take a bow on that sink job. Well done! And you have the new stove already???!!!! You take action while people like me keep ruminating on 200 options available rather than make a decision. Please come to my house and get me whipped into shape so I can get my place finished. By the way, thanks for the teaser photo. It all looks really nice. Love the new granite.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Girlie, you should consider painting the underside of your cabinets.
    I was looking at the gorgeous counter teaser, then looked to see if you had put a light rail up.
    What did I see?
    The unpainted underside of your cabs.
    Not as pretty as the rest of the kitchen! And a major PIA to paint upside down!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Ooooh, the counters and cabinets are looking fantastic! I really admire your DIY grit and how you're getting the job done.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

greenhaven-have been following silently. Your DIY is amazing. You can without a doubt definitely tile a backsplash - seriously. After all this you have tackled, you will whip that out like nothing. ;) It looks wonderful. Good work and congrats on getting your horse home.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CEFreeman said: "Girlie, you should consider painting the underside of your cabinets."

lolol, I thought that same exact thing! Will do! :o)

Texasgal47 said: "Greenhaven, you're really a great blogger. You missed a calling in journalism. I would follow a weekly column by you any time."

Aww, you are too sweet! I do love to write, have kept a blog on-and-off through the years, but I never stay consistent with it. I quit after a trauma with my mother and just never really went back to it.

Thank you, feisty and autumn, and all of you who have been a great encouragement and source of learning. This forum is a real gem!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

LOVE the granite! I agree with CEFreeman though, gotta paint the undersides of the uppers...

HD gave you the clips???? Gee, when I installed "brazilian cherry" floors from them (paid my cousin who is carpenter, rented the stapler) and then they started cracking, they only refunded me for the flooring, not the labor to install (and rip out), and not even the molding that I ordered later (not knowing we'd need it where wood met tile) and never picked up b/c the flooring was cracking by the time it came in (they determined that the wood had not been properly cured, b/c I DID have HVAC installed in new house and running to acclimate the flooring for a few days before install)!

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Greenhaven, please make me and yourself happy by buying led light fixtures to go under the wall cabinets and run the wiring for them in the wall before the new backer board goes in for the backsplash. Mount them at the very front portion of the cabinet underside. I bought mine at Loews. They are 1" high and come in various lengths, are dimmable, have held up well so far (3 yrs.) and are not too expensive. I just measured mine and the shortest length is 11.5" so you should be able to even install one on the right side of your new stove. This is not the time to skimp and go cheap. Plus, your new backplash will really not show up well (after all that $$$) without UCL. After the backsplash goes in, paint and install light rail molding. Then you can forget about painting the underside of those cabinets. I promise you'll wonder how you survived without decent task lighting in the kitchen all these years.

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 13:10

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

Excellent advice on the LED undercabinet lights, they are one of my favorite things in my kitchen.
    My parents' kitchen has no UCL, plus their backsplash is dark red Z-Brick with black mastic for "grout"; they still love it, but to me it's like working in a cave.
    I love your project and your journal about it. How satisfying it will be when you are done!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh you guy are going to get me in trouble! lol DH recommended rather strongly that we wire for UCL while we were doing the outlets, even if we were not ready to do the UCL right now. I am not only going to get The Look, I am going to get The Naughty Look!

Nothing done on the kitchen front, except my new stove is now sitting in the middle of the floor. I built fence all day instead, and now my horse is home! I love this girl, she has been with me for fourteen years and is now 21. This is me (grey shirt squinting into the sun), Tuesday and the gal who hauled her home for me. Pardon me, I am filthy and wind-burned and tired!:

• amck2
    9 years ago

Beautiful horse! And your smile speaks to how happy you must be to have her home.

Your granite counter and sink are lovely. Looking forward to your reveal.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

she's beautiful! and much more important than a stove!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Oh, my she's lovely. And so are you with that big happy smile! Where has she been?

and UCL.
    You mean you didn't wire for it?
    Girl, what were you thinking!? Have you ever heard of GardenWeb and their kitchen boards? They talk about this all THE TIME. Lighting is important.

[low, dangerous voice] you might deserve the Naughty Look. and he might make YOU do the wiring!

I do wish I had the electrical skills you have. I could be posting progress as you have. Ok, I have finally found something that causes a feeling I can't say I've ever had in my life: envy. Yup. Envy. Progress envy.

[sigh]

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

What a beauty!!! I know nothing about horses, but she looks like she has a really sweet disposition. A wonderful ending to a horrendous week. Thanks for the photo. Now we know what Wonder Woman looks like! I hope you stay in bed tomorrow and get some well deserved R & R.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on my Best Girl! It sounds hokey but Tuesday has been a bigger influence on my life and who I am as a person than nearly anything else. She has been back in IL until we could get set up here in MI. Tired of moving and having to start over yet again.

CEFreeman, I have never had UCL in my whole life with the exception of a plug n play flourescent jobby at our last home because the lighting was so bad. My big flourescent box I have now is ugly but is positioned well for working on the perimeter. It is my island that suffers, even with both kitchen and DR lights on.

Texasgal47, it is quarter after eight and I am lying in bed internet-ing on my Nook. That is a pretty good indication of how my day is going to go, lol!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got nothing done in the Kitchen today as I had to take advantage of the good weather to work on a loafing shed for the horse.

But yesterday I picked up some more tile samples for The Hole in the Floor. Thought I had the perfect one picked out, turns out the floor is way warmer in tone than I thought, but it did look a little flat. I had picked up a couple wood-look tiles, but in 2x4" running bond mosaics. I laid the dark one down and it was meh.

I told myself to lay down the "blonde" one just for funsies and shocker of all shockers, it is perfect! It actually will look like a little rug when I am done, I am soo pleased. Because it is in running bond pattern it will mean I will have to cut some pieces, but it will be so minimal. I am thinking about seeing if that terra cotta-ish tile in the corner comes in a small rectangular piece that i could use as a "border."

Oh, and just to be clear, it is my full intention to widen and lengthen that stretch of cutout to actual "rug" size.

Frankly, it actually made me second-guess my tile choice for the backsplash. This wood-like tile is actually sort of basket-y and I like that a lot!

Here are a couple crappy cell phone pics in crappy lighting because I feel guilty for not taking ore pics. I am so close to finishing, though!

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

when you make your rug, consider using the the tile in a frame around it, one or two tiles deep... if that makes any sense. post some mock ups here, the opinions here are very helpful.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will do! It will definitely need a border. Did not even think about using the main tiles, that is a really good idea!

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Greenhaven, it looks like you're turning lemons into lemonade. I never would have thought of trying a tile rug--really interesting. It would be interesting to see something like that in real life.

• carree
    9 years ago

Greenhaven, can I confess I don't want your kitchen renovation to end? There is a whole community of Webbers rooting for you, including of course the entire contingent of women. Keep up the energy level and the chronicles. I bet if you just describe what you are making for every meal in that kitchen you would keep us satisfied through the summer :)

• SusanNJ72
    9 years ago

Glad your sweet girl is home and love your basket tile rug!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, POO! I had read back through this and pasted a couple comments I wanted to reply to and accidentally refreshed my page. :o( My apologies for not directly attributing some comments.

I did love those bradpoint drill bits! I will have to add some to my drill bit cache.

To whomever suggested I would reshingle a roof I have only one response: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! As much as I appreciate the vote of confidence I will neeeverrrr reshingle a roof. ;o) Just putting in a few posts has made me so stiff in the mornings I hobble down the stairs. When did I get OLD?

Bondo in the messed up holes was another really good suggestion that I will file away for future reference.

And I was alternately shaking my head with embarrassment and amusement at my horrible typing. I can plainly see when I was visiting the forum on my Nook rather than using my actual computer keyboard. What a dork!

Most of all, what I have gotten from re-reading through this part 2 is two things:

1. I am dead serious when I say the encouragement I get here is one of the most influential things on my motivation to keep going. I am very tired and have a long list of things that need doing even after the kitchen and shed are done and I desperately appreciate the support.

I am the very first one to say "Get of the computer and make some "real" friends!" But the truth is that being brand-new to Michigan has left me rather bereft of RL people on whom I can call and getting to know you all, even through the relative anonymity of the Web, has helped me feel a little less lonely. And your collective knowledge has not only taught me so very much about this kitchen stuff but also about myself, believe it or not.

2. Looking again at the teaser pic of my "coffee center" actually made me tear up a little. It is a profound sense of relief that I am near the end of this project and I am very, very happy with the results so far.

Thank you.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Have you thought about the tiles having an intentionally jagged edge by cutting into the planks? I once saw a large transition done where the tiles kind of "faded" into the planks and it looked great. Looked less formal than a rectangular inset. Just an idea. Wish I could find a photo to show you.

I envy your lifestyle. My daughter would go insane with joy living with a horse on the property.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Oh, dearheart, I get it.
    I must go to MI this summer to pick up things of my mom's. My sister is buying her house, but she left certain things to the 3 of us. Perhaps at that point, we could meet IRL. It might be fun and I can make a detour!

I've been online since 1989. We used to pay by the byte transmitted, which is where emoticons and acronyms came from .

I've met wonderful people IRL, but I've also had dear (online) friends disappear or die. I have a file on my desktop my sisters know about for when I go to the big renovation in the sky. Whom to call, where to post, and to whom my entire garden (3 acres) should be dug up and given. Then they can sell this hopefully-done project of a home.

In the meanwhile, I also live a rather solitary life. I moved out here with my now-ex-dh, and since he's history (thank GOD) I only work. I don't go out alone, other than my Friday steak + 1 (or 2) glasses of wine. I certainly don't date with my debt load, plus, I intimidate people (read: men, as far as I get it) eventually. So... why bother when I can come home, have a glass of wine and see what others are doing here. :) Not so bad.

You have your beautiful horse, and I have (now) 6 cats and my old girl dog, Morgan. Incredible, unconditional love, right? :)

The encouragement here is incredible and I understand. I'm sure actually, most here get it! Ya' ain't alone, chickie!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CEFreeman, of course!!! Drop me an email when you know you are coming this way!

Feisty, my jaw literally dropped when I read your suggestion. I think it could be absolutely fabulous! Like "fringe!" I know exactly what you are talking about, and with the nifty cutting gadgets available for rent these days it is very, very doable. Brilliant!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Wow - I just read through your posts and am amazed at your progress! Its no wonder you're tired! I can't wait to see it all done. Your kitchen looks wonderful and your determination and stamina are very motivating for me to start remodeling my kitchen.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

You and your horse both look so happy to see each other. Your reno is really moving along! Awesome work.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been so lazy and distracted and tired that to say I got the new stove in place today sounds so exciting and special! But it was not. Exciting, yes. Special, no. It took all of five minutes to attach the new cord, another five to slide the new one into the place of the old, and maybe another ten to figure out how to hold that stiff, curly cord out of the way enough to allow the stove to go back as far as it should.

I have company coming in four weeks, so now I really need to get my hiney in gear!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My tile for the backsplash is finally here! Now I have to commit to my homework on installation. If anyone has some good links regarding beginner tiling that would be great!

My goal for tomorrow is to finish my trim work and/or the electrical. With onset of spring the kitchen has taken a back seat but I still already love all the space I have to work in.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Your horse looks like a real sweetheart & happy to be home. I can't believe this might be coming to the end. What's our next project?

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohhhh romy...I cannot even fathom, lol! Actually, I can...I just don't want to! We have a nasty jetted tub with no shower in our "master" bath. The plan is to rip that out and create a big walk-in shower.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

before you figure out how to install the tile, spend at least a few hours figuring out the layout, decide how wide your grout joints will be when you try the layouts.

I am really enjoying your thread here, greenhaven!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, detroit_burb! They are 2x4 honed marble in running bond pattern on a mesh back, so layout will not be too difficult. ;o)

But I started another thread regarding installation, since this is my first time doing tiling. Feel free to chime in there if there are additional important things I must consider.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In light of another thread on reno fatigue I thought I would post a quick update.

I am definitely suffering reno fatigue, although I hardly deserve to when others have been hammering away at theirs for so long. But I've got it, and a long, long list of other things that need to be done. The stress of the move is finally, finally catching up to me, too, and I took an emotional nosedive. I have been treading water, but am okay with that, for now.

So I did finally sand and prime my lazy susan doors, which I have been putting of for forever because...well, I am sick of sanding and painting, lol!

But I did it, and found the trim pieces I needed for above the upper cabs and sanded and primed those, too. I had to pick up a new board for filler trim on the far right end of the new run, too, but got it and am ready to prime and paint.

I am putting off painting trim until the backsplash goes in, and have been putting off tiling because I am still not confident enough in the steps. but I AM still doing homework and think I at least have all the materials I need to get started.

Oh! And I finally ordered stools and pendants. I was going to postpone pendants for the island since it might be a while before we get re-wired for that, but as I was narrowing down all my options the two (stools and pendants) just came together and clicked for me.

These are the stools I have on the way:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1670546/carolina-cottage-berkshire-counter-stool.jsp

And two of these pendants:

http://www.countrylivingprimitives.com/irvins-stockbridge-shade-light-with-chisel-design-clone-2.html

Thanks to all of you who weighed in on the decision-making process for both of those. Those stools were not on the original list, but the price is right and I think they are a really good fit.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

The stools and the pendants are great choices. They look current yet slightly rustic in a good way.

Are you planning to have tie-on cushions for your stools? I decided that we will. I've found that cushioned dining chairs have made a huge difference for us, to my surprise. I never realized how uncomfortable hard seating is for some members of my household. Of course, I can choose cushions at my leisure. IKEA alone has quite a selection.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I'm glad you were able to decipher my tile to wood transition idea. This is a different tile shape, but I thought I'd show you this inspiration photo:

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh feisty that is soo cool! If I can pull it off I will, but I have to add some underlayment that will make my tile higher than the laminate, which means a piece of transition trim. :( But that is wiiicked cool!

I do love the stools and pendants, and think they will look great but do wonder whether everything will play nicely when it is all put together again.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My stools and pendants came in this past week, and I finally got round to opening the boxes. Love them all even more IRL! Very excited to get the pendants up, even though that will be one of the last things we do and might be awhile. I might "dry hang" them just because they are so dang cool.

My motor has been revved, thanks in no small part to the mutual encouragement we DIY-ers have given each other on the "Let's Finish This Thing!" and "What We Accomplished Today" threads.

DH helped me get the outlet in the island powered, one more new outlet installed above the new lower cabinet where the fridge was, and the stove hood powered up. The lazy susan doors and some trim have been sanded and primes, and await their first coats of paint. I also bought new pieces of trim for fillers that needs cutting, sanding, priming, painting.

Oh, and for all my fellow DIY-ers, a special gift for me, and now from me to you. I think this is what finally did the trick:

• feisty68
    9 years ago

LOL, my dh had one of those before he moved cross-continent. But he must have gotten another one because stuff is HAPPENING.

Stuff is happening in your kitchen too I see! The pendants and stools are really great in the photos - glad they are making you happy IRL.

"I have to add some underlayment that will make my tile higher than the laminate, which means a piece of transition trim."

Yes, I guess that is the amazing thing about the photos I've seen. They must all somehow get around the issue of the tile and the wood being different thicknesses right? Because you'd never have the situation where they'd be the same?

I don't know if a crazy transition would look right in your kitchen. You'd know by laying out tiles on your floor I guess?

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent news in the greenhaven house!!! I do not remember who it was that made the comment about my being able to shingle a house, but I was desperately afraid that was gong to become prophetic after we started losing shingles in the wind storms about a month ago.

Well, I found a local guy who does roofing, he came out and gave a very reasonable estimate and said they do all kinds of work.

"Oh really?" I asked, "What kind of all kinds of things? Like...tiling?"

"Sure! We just finished a beautiful tiling job, we do a LOT of it."

Wahoo! Invite that man in to give me a quote on my backsplash, yes please!

So not only did I find someone to fix the roof he is going to do my backsplash, too. I am SO relieved. I truly believe i *could* do it. But I don't wanna. Truly.

So happy!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yay for lucking into a tiler! In my other house, I tiled a kitchen floor and bathtub surround. Not my favorite thing to do, but I couldn't afford to do it any other way. We also did the BS in this house, but it wasn't a huge area, and the split-face marble is more forgiving.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Wonderful news! Glad your windstorm clouds had such a bright silver lining!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Perfectly done tiling is a Good Thing :) .

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Love your pendants and stools! The comfort thing is really driving/limiting our choices for stools and I'd like to get that done really soon.

You are really on a roll now, especially with your new help and Round Tuits! Thanks for passing those on, we always need a chuckle! I'm thinking many of us are in the same stage and will be finishing close together! Here's to a good week!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bbtrix, go get 'em, girl! I am trying not to hold out for hope that The Guy can get it in before company comes on Saturday....trying to be content whatever, but now I am excited to see it come to a close.

I do have to say, especially since the tiling burden has been lifted, that I really, really love my new kitchen space even if it is not perfect and not my dream kitchen. It is so very pleasant to work in and look at!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ETA: Oops, lol, forgot to post my kitchen progress! Not much, but I am counting it anyway. Unpacked both pendants and stools and trashed the trash, and assembled the second stool and tucked them both up under the island overhang, even though the floor is still wonky. Not much on the kitchen front, but it is still something. It is (ever so slightly) possible that I will start painting the primed ls doors and trim tonight.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Need stool pix in place!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, okay! Will be hard to do without capturing the whole kitchen, and have been kind of saving up for my reveal. I will go do it now.

PS, changed my mind. Too dark! Tomorrow.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz