Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkinsey

shaker-style drawers and cup pulls

bkinsey
14 years ago

I really want shaker (recessed panel) drawers, but am in love with cup pulls. Has anyone had an issue with using the 2 of these together? My husband seems to think that it won't work and that I need to go with slab drawers.

My original plan was to go with square raised panel doors, shaker top drawers, and my bigger bottom drawers were going to be raised panel...and I really love the look of this. But, cup pulls are a must for me...so can I do them with shaker drawers?

Pics would be great!

Thanks

Comments (8)

• positano
    14 years ago

I have them too and love the way they look.

From April 2009

• holligator
    14 years ago

We, too, have shaker style cabs and cup pulls. Our top drawers are slab front, though.

• bkinsey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i wanted shaker doors, but my husband worries about them not being one piece of wood like a raised panel is...and worries about the plywood...is that what yours are made of? anyone?
    i just love the looks of all of your kitchens!

• mrsmonkey
    14 years ago

I'm going with shaker doors and cup pulls too and my KD was the one who suggested it, so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem - and from the looks of the kitchens above, it works well!

• ronnyk
    14 years ago

I asked a very similar question the other day, but not nearly as clearly as you did. I appreciate seeing everybody's pictures.

Mgkinz, I don't fully understand your last post. A raised panel versus a shaker panel is more or less just a case of how much profile there is on the panel. In neither case, is the door one piece of wood. A "true" shaker-style door is actually a raised panel turned backwards, with the raised side facing in. A slab door or drawer, however, is a solid piece of wood. Plywood is generally more stable (and heavier) than solid wood, so if I had a choice of materials for a flat panel, I might very well prefer plywood. I would prefer a reverse raised panel to plywood, however, since I think it is more authentic.

On the subject of drawer fronts, my KD recommended five-piece drawer fronts because they are less prone to racking/twisting then slabs, especially on the big drawers.

• bkinsey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ronnyk- Thanks for your post. I don't truly know what I am talking about half of the time (lol), so please excuse me when I say something that is wrong. I told my DH that a true shaker was a reversed raised panel and he was concerned how that would work with drawers (why I don't know, but maybe you understand his concerns). Or maybe your five-piece drawer front is the answer to that? Any insight is appreciated.

• ronnyk
    14 years ago

mgkinz - I am not sure what your husband's concern is. Perhaps you can elaborate. The point of a five-piece drawer front-- just as with a panel door-- is stability in that the panel "floats" within the rails and stiles and is much less prone to undesirable movement that comes with the seasonal expansion and contraction of the wood. I do not see any functional downside to having a reverse panel versus a flat panel, other than perhaps the former being a bit heavier and more substantial.