Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
footballmom_gw

Size of sink for corner sink base?

footballmom
14 years ago

Well, after much discussion, it looks like I am going to have to have a corner sink. If I don't put the sink in the corner, the longest stretch of uninterrupted counter space I will have will be 2.5 feet. That is not better than I have now. So my question is what is the largest single bowl sink I can put in a 42 inch corner sink base? Does it matter if I use a 42 inch corner sink base or a corner sink front from KM? Both of the KD at the design center are arguing with each other and not sure so I am coming to the experts. One is saying 25 inches and the other is saying 30 inches. I would like a double bowl, but am concerned that a 1 3/4 will not fit and I do not want a standard equal bowl again. I really am so very frustrated by the whole process. Wish the cabinets weren't already sitting at the cabinet place.

Comments (9)

• footballmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it is going to be in a diagonal door cabinet. I am sorry I wans't clear about that. I don't want a bat wing sink and really don't want a corner sink but don't seem to have a choice unless I want short short areas of counter space(which I already have). TIA. G

• morgne
    14 years ago

You are totally right. Those ridiculous batwing sinks are only as an absolutely last option. I had my corner sink custom made (my cab is 36" rather than 42") and I don't have a pic with me but it is similar to the one below. The placement allows the faucet and drain to be outt of the way from above and still be able to have a pull out garbage/recycling/etc below so it's a pretty hardworking corner. I gotta say I love it.

I think you could modify the design to have a drain in each corner so you could have two sinks. I think you would get 24? on the face so after recessing the sink back a few inches the "front" part of the sink would be 30? inches?

I'm in portland, OR but I'm sure you can find someone in your area who would make one. There are a couple other options but it sounds like you've already ordered the cabinetry! I really do love mine and have the faucet on the left and the drain on the right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner Sink

• tkln
    14 years ago

We have a corner sink in a 42" corner cab by KM...though we are using a single bowl so not sure how big you can get otherwise.

FWIW, I was dead set against a corner sink but my GC and fiancé convinced me. Best thing I've ever done. I'm so happy I didn't put it in front of the window again.

• footballmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lnersesian, it looks like you have the sink front instead of the corner sink base cabinet. Is that true? The sink front does not have sides on it and is placed so that the front attaches to the cabinets on either side and the base is formed and placed by the installer. There is no cabinet totally surrounding the cabinet. I spoke with a KD at lowes yesterday and he told me that having the sink front allows for more space in the cabinet below the sink and allow for the granite installer and sink installer( usually the granite guy) to place supports more easily under the sink and attach them to the wall and the other cabinets. It sounds logical. He stated that this allow for a larger sink in the cabinet. G

• tkln
    14 years ago

Hi footballmom - if I recall correctly this is true...I can't remember what the flooring is in there, I'll have to check when I get home. But I do remember wondering why there was no 'full cabinet', so that must be the case...the inside of the cabinet is huge - we don't have a disposal or anything but man, I can't even tell you how much stuff we have in there. :-)

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I was like Morgne, and ended up with a custom-made sink for my corner. All the ready-made sinks were either too big for my cabinet, or too small for my use. I did want a single bowl from the getgo (I love my single bowl sink!), and I wanted a rectangular one with an offset drain (i.e. the drain is not centered). I couldn't figure out the right size, so I ended up drawing a template on a large piece of cardboard, and fiddling with my drawing until I got dimensions that fit and looked good. Those dimensions were what I had made. I used Handcrafted Metal in Austin, Texas (handcraftedmetal.com), and am very happy with my single-bowl, rectangular, offset-drain sink--it's one of my favorite things in my kitchen.

Another idea for you would be an apron front sink in your corner. What I like about those is that they are very ergonomic, as there is no need for a 5" strip of supporting countertop in front of the sink. That means no leaning toward the sink for you, which is easier on the back. I am linking a thread with a bunch of photos and discussion of corner sinks. Please look at Jayjay_Teacher's pic of her apron front sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Corner Sinks

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I want to clarify from my previous post cause I just realized that Morgne's custom sink she linked is not rectangular, but is an unusual shape. I am not familiar with that design, but my custom sink is rectangular and I am pleased with it.

Also, I opted not to have a D-Shaped sink even though I think they are very pretty; I feel that a rectangular shape is a more efficient use of space since it does not have any corners cut off the way a D-shape does (I know that wasn't what the OP asked, but I wanted to give my entire thought process for my corner sink design.)

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

A 42" sink base only fits a single 25" sink in it without scooping the sides of the cabinet, and with minimal setback from the front edge. If you want a larger sink, you need a larger sink base, or be prepared to strain your back by pushing the sink further back in the base. A corner cabinet is already a big problem from the support for a countertop perspective, and scooping the sides only makes it more of a problem. With stone, that a LOT of weight with very little support in that corner, and then add in the weight of the water and the dishes, and you have a big accident waiting to happen if you start scooping cabinet sides.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths