Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deciding between Absolute Black and Virginia Mist granite

Posted by julia42 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 8:36

I'm hoping some of you may have some words of wisdom for me. I'm trying to decide on the granite for my new kitchen and I keep second guessing myself. I'm putting in white shaker style custom cabinets and stainless appliances.

I really, really like honed Virginia Mist granite, and my fabricator has located some for me. It's beautiful, and has such a warm feel to me. But our house is a 90s era suburban builder home and I worry that the Virginia Mist will look out of place. It almost seems like it has an antique, or maybe even rustic, feel to it, which I love, but does not describe my home at all. Also, I tend to like having brightly colored decor (all my dishes are Fiesta, for example), which I worry won't suit it either. Maybe if I paired it with more modern cabinet hardware and kitchen faucet it might ease the antique look?

Absolute Black in a gloss seems like it would work better in the house, but I don't like it as well. I mean, I like it fine, but it doesn't "speak to my soul" in the same way as the Mist, if you know what I mean. Also, I worry that I might find it too stark.

I'm probably way overthinking this. Those of you that have Virginia Mist, do you think it makes your kitchen look antique-y or rustic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deciding between Absolute Black and Virginia Mist granite

My kitchen is not quite done so I don't have it all put back together and/or decorated yet, but I don't find my Virginia Mist (Jet Mist) to be antique-y or rustic. I view it as more classic. It reads pretty neutral to me even though it does have the white swirls so I think it would look great with your colorful Fiestaware. Have you decided on a paint color? I think using a color would definitely help from pulling it in the rustic direction as well (pale green?)

o

Kitchen-Reno, that's good to hear. I was hoping it would read fairly neutral, but with some interest and variation. Also, the suggestion that the paint would have a big effect is something that I hadn't thought of yet. I'm sort of saving the paint choice for last, as I don't even have my cabinets in yet, so it can be hard for me to visualize. But I had been thinking of either a pale green or maybe a pale aqua.

Thanks!

o

I think either of those colors would look great with your other choices. I chose a soft gray, which is rather boring, but the adjoining room in my house is very colorful and I just didn't want an overload. Pale green or pale aqua would both be great.

Are you doing a backsplash? that's another way to make sure you're not introducing the rustic feel that you don't want.

o

I think jet mist is totally compatible with lots of styles, and particularly so with Fiestaware (which is kind of retro in my mind, too)

o

Yes to the backsplash. I do have my heart set on white subway tiles, though, which are pretty neutral. It's rare that I see any other backslashes I like as well as white subway.

Which is actually one other concern I have with the absolute black - I think a white subway would be kind of boring with absolute black, so I might feel compelled to go with a more remarkable backsplash. Which I don't prefer.

o

I have to say that I don't find it boring at all. You can always go for "remarkable" accessories, wall paint, art, light fixtures....

o

I have Absolute Black in gloss in a 2nd home -- as others will attest, it is a horror of maintenance with dust, water marks, streaking and just about anything that might fall on it.

o

Nosoccermom, your kitchen is beautiful, but it looks like honed absolute. I always think that it's so beautiful, and not at all boring, but it sounds like more trouble than I want to take on. It's the gloss that I think might be boring with white subway tiles...

Gooster, good to know about that too. I'd read more frustration with keeping the honed nice - thought that gloss wasn't as much of a problem.

I went to the granite yard again today and found this granite which I liked, but my husband thinks is too blotchy. I can see his point, but I still find it interesting. It reminds me of slate. It's called "Mogambo"

Gonna be looking around a little more tomorrow.

o

Agree with nosoccermom - make the expensive, hard to replace things neutral and use less expensive accessories and paint to change things up.

o

Have you posted a pic of the Virginia Mist? I don't have Virginia Mist but I think it's beautiful. In your original post, it sounds like you've found a beautiful slab. I don't think of Virginia Mist as being rustic or having an antique look.
Pick a stone you love, you won't regret it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here