Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariat_e12

2 Toned Kitchen, Can't decide on Benjamin moore colors

mariat_e12
10 years ago

We are having our house built and I'm trying to decide between 3 options for our kitchen cabinet colors all by benjamin moore.
options:
1. top cabinets Cloud white, bottom revere pewter
option
2. Edge comb gray for top cabinets and revere pewter for bottom kitchen cabinets
3. Top and bottom both Edge comb gray
4. Stick to cloud white for all kitchen cabinets.

What's your thoughts? Do you think Edge comb and Revere pewter are too close to do them top and bottom?

Comments (11)

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

My experience is that edgecomb has a slight lavender undertone and revere has a green undertone. Both beautiful greys but I check to make sure they look ok before using them side by side.

Option 4. Will be most flexible for decor. Option 3 would look nice but I would definitely check edgecomb in your light first. A nice big swatch. At some latitudes it can veer purple, in my house it's a nice soft greige. Personally I'd probably go for options 1 or 4.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

All my cabs, top and bottom, are Cloud White. It's soft and yummy. #4 gets my enthusiastic vote.

• Majra
    10 years ago

Being a fan of two-tone cabs (I have them), I vote option 1.

• teacats
    10 years ago

A vote for Option #4 -- soft fresh white -- and add gray tones in the walls and fabric and accessories ....

• amck2
    10 years ago

Is the kitchen open to other rooms? Is there an island? And what do you have in mind for countertops? Those are things I'd consider before going two tone with uppers & lowers.

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

These aren't Benjamin Moore colors, but are a shade off white over gray. Not the best photo, but might give you an idea of what it could look like. I didn't want white over white since I'm not that good of a housekeeper & thought dirt, etc., would show more.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I vote for all BM Cloud White with gray accessories and wall color.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I like white cabinets so that's what I would do. But if you love the two tone look, you should go for it. I would hesitate to mix revere pewter and edgecomb grey though as I have the impression one is not a lighter version of the other. I would see about getting samples of revere pewter and a 25 percent mix of revere pewter and painting them on big sample boards to see how they look.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I picked my counters first - River White granite. When I went to pick cabinet colours I realized that the grey I had planned didn't work - I really needed a grey with distinct green undertones. Since counters are expensive and hard to change, I would pick those first and pick cabinet colours after. Flooring would also be a big consideration in picking cabinet colour. I found it helpful to have flooring and counter samples on hand at the paint store when looking at chips. I really liked going to the Farrow and Ball store where they have delicious colours, large sample boards, and a great advisor. She immediately pointed me to the perfect colour, which I will probably use with a different formulation (custom translucent stain).

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I am with amck and feisty. If your cabs will be painted you must consider countertops first, then walls, island, nearby rooms, etc. Like feisty said, all is for naught if you agonize over a cab color and it does not go with your countertop.

I just painted my cabs, and had chosen The Color for them. Turns out it was not The Color, lol. A KD at Home Depot helped me put together a lovely pallete that is working beautifully in my kitchen and will be The Perfect Color when the counters go in on Thursday and the backsplash gets installed.

• carree
    10 years ago

My living room is revere pewter and my dining room is painted edge comb grey. I would not mix the two. The latter has a definite lavender undertone. I love it but do not think that they work well together as in side by side. These are both prominent colors. Quiet perhaps, but definitely noticeable. Get some poster board and sample cans and look at them in your kitchen light and see first hand what you think. Live with it a few days. Good luck, this is not easy. I had someone from Wallauer pay a site visit at my home. Very good use of one hundred dollars. I selected paint colors for six rooms in that one visit.