Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

2 colors or 1?

nyrgirl35
9 years ago

My kitchen cabinets will be stained, but I was thinking of doing just the back wall/ bar area/ pantries in a off white with chocolate glaze? Or should I just do the entire kitchen the same color?
I attached the pics of layout, I will also add the pic of color stain I don't have a pic of the off white color though

Comments (15)

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the color stain

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I am not very good at this, but my first thought was that if you did a glazed off-white it might prevent the kitchen from having a "boxed-in" feeling to it. Dark cabs at that end will definitely say "This is the end!" while the light cabs suggest "there might be more..." It is all about the mind game. :o)

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So you greenhaven you like the back wall in the off white with glaze idea?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Have you looked at real examples of white or off-white with a glaze? I think it tends to look dirty.

• herbflavor
    9 years ago

back wall/bar pantry area in something else is good to consider..but you can also achieve the contrast with different counter treatment or glass doored cabs on wall. I would consider a painted color as opposed to glazing and off white. There are some nice sage or light greens or mushroom/putty shades....I'd skip glazing-too pricey and doesn't look that great anymore-passé,to some degree.If there is blank wall between the two 18 in cabs are you thinking art or a relief backsplash or open shelves-if you have something planned for that spot I'm not sure the change in cab finish is really worth it.Maybe just a completely different counter.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Two, I love the look myself. Gives a furniture quality to the room and adds interest. Not the best example but here it is:

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Edina General Contractors John Kraemer & Sons

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This would be the two colors

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my inspiration for back wall

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And I haven't deciding on granite yet but granite would be throughout kitchen except on bar area I was thinking of doing wood like this. I like how these two colors contrast each other.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the idea of a different color, but not glazed. Agree with the points herbflavor and linelle made. It's a lot of cabinetry in a narrow space with one window, so are you concerned about the dark stain giving it a tunnel effect? I'd think about using a lighter color for my perimeter or at least for the uppers. Two-tone kitchens are gaining in popularity. I assume you're using a raised panel door style, so you could use the dark stain on the bar area to give it a rich "gentlemen's club" feel.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm ok with darker stain because there will be a 70" window and I also have a skylight tons of light come in the kitchen area. Even without the 70" window I don't have yet. Also since I'm making the cabinets dark, everything else will be lighter, granite, backsplash, paint. My ceilings are also 11' that slope down to 8'. So I hope all this helps with the dark cabinet choice, my heart is set on med/dark stained cabinets, hopefully I won't regret it once it's in!

As far as no glaze I will definitely look into that but I wouldn't consider doing a sage color or anything like that just not my style. I do like the black painted cabinets with that distressed look, any thoughts on that choice? Or maybe just a cream color with no glaze?

This post was edited by nyrgirl35 on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 12:06

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I love the look of two colors.
    I also love the glazing because stark white is too stark. It even softens a cream if it's done lightly.

Your inspiration pictures are beautiful!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I really love your inspiration photos. The one I posted above if you enlarge it, looks like the stain in the samples you posted. I like it a lot. Around here people are not doing glazes as much as before opting instead for a darker shade of white if that makes sense. Out is the pin striping look where the glaze collects in corners and grooves of the wood and then the painter goes back and pin stripes in lines around the panels in the doors. I like the clean look of no glaze but on the other hand I love the soft feel of the glaze and the extra protection to the finish. I could go either way with that one. If it were a very light touch of color in the glaze finish, I'd be tempted. Good luck! You have beautiful taste so I know it will be fabulous in the end.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

The answer is yes, I do think you should go lighter at the end! lol

I have no personal experience in my kitchen or anyone else's with glazed off-white so I cannot speak to that and would defer to the experts.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys decisions decisions, the glazed colors so far that I have seen are lightly glazed you can't even really tell on the door itself you just see some in the crevices of the doors. I have to go back and look at more samples to know for sure!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz