Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jo666

sharp built in microwave

jo666
11 years ago

I'm putting the microwave in my island and i was going to get a ge profile with a built in trim kit, then I got inspired to look for the sharp built-in for a better price. I found it on the internet and it wouldn't be that much more (kind of) than the GE.

I've seen bad reviews saying that the sharp breaks and it doesn't heat evenly, with no turntable.

For all that money I'm looking for something that works. BTW I also read that the GE was built cheaply. I also saw sharp has a trim kit for their other models so it could be built in..

The drawer on the new sharp seems like a much better option in the location it will be in.

Does anyone have any experience in this decision? thanks for the help...

Comments (8)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

ive had both ge and sharp counter top microwaves and havent noticed much difference in durability or performance.

However, we are frequent microwavers and do things like oatmeal in it. I wouldn't want a drawer type as you can't watch it and prevent overflow like you can with the see-thru door types.

to save money, we put the microwave above the wall oven in a cabinet with doors that nest back...the mic just sits inside...there's an electrical outlet built in. This way when we're not using it, we shut the doors and it goes away. Now we can replace it with a new one any time and don't have the constraint and expense of a trim kit.

• laxsupermom
    11 years ago

We have a Sharp MW drawer and love it. I'm not sure what Annie means by you can't see stuff in it, because I can see into ours just fine. I especially like it for stuff that needs stirring, because I can stir it from above with the drawer open without having to touch the hot bowl. Here's a link to ours at install.

• peonybush
    11 years ago

I have the Sharp MW in my island and love it. I also like that you can just open the drawer and stir something from above. Even though there isn't a turntable, I notice no cold spots. In fact, I find that it's much faster than my previous OTR MW that had a turntable. The popcorn setting makes perfect MW popcorn. Maybe just a few unpopped kernels.

• scuzz
    11 years ago

I too have the Sharp MW drawer and it's been a month since install. I don't notice a difference in not having a turntable either. One thing I would do over, I do not have the self closing door/open feature. I would spend the extra money and get that feature. I don't fill my coffee mug as full as normal since the action of opening up the door tends to spill the coffee. But that's the only drawback. Otherwise, I enjoy it below the counter for the above reasons.

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Oh yah--I too would get the auto touch open/close feature. I thought I was, but after reading the manual it said "manual close". Rats. I do find that DH doesn't always push it all the way closed and hence the door is ajar a bit.
    Mine is a 30" if that makes any difference. i know a lot of the 24" comes with auto touch but I'm not sure if all the 30" don't.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I like my Sharp MW drawer and it so far, it seems to heat quite evenly. (Better than my old model that DID have a turntable.)

• jo666
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for all input. I'm thinking about a warranty. Any suggestions? I have also heard of a warranty for all your appliances. Not sure. thanks

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I have the Sharp Drawer with the auto open/close or you can push/pull it.
    I got mine on Ebay for $770.00

I LOVE IT !!!