Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compman723_gw

Kitchen/Dining room complete remodel :) Layout opinio wanted!

compman723
12 years ago

We are through the remove all walls we can stage and have it all opened up. We just got past an exciting project and put a 700 lb steel beam in to get rid of a beam below the ceiling so it is now flush :). So far sky has been the limit but we haven't came up with a layout we really LOVE yet. The kitchen use to be where the dining room table is in the picture below but we had no island and so we decided to move it as the plan shows. After we started getting ideas for our dream kitchen we decided we really wanted to add in a mudroom area and also pantry. This seams like it made the area considerably smaller but I believe the way we have it now it fits. In the first picture you can also see that we are re purposing our built out old kitchen sink bay for a bar area possibly. Any ideas all around are gratefully accepted.

New Dining Room (Old kitchen)

Shot at 2012-04-10

New Kitchen (Old Living Room) enter from garage at bottom

Shot at 2012-04-10

Comments (7)

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I can't really tell what everything is in the kitchen... Are those blank squares across the aisle from the sink a huge range? Or is it a rangetop and the ovens are to the left of the fridge? Where will you have the dishwasher and dish storage? Do you bake? Do you have multiple workers in your kitchen?

It'd probably help to see more of the house layout and see how it all works together.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

In general, could you move the door from the garage so that the mudroom entry was out of the work zone of the kitchen and the pantry was entered next to the range? In other words switch pantry and mudroom locations without essentially changing the kitchen layout on that wall.

• compman723
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the opinions... I thought I would attach some 3D pics to help get the feel. The door sadly is stuck in the middle becasue to the left of that is a chimney that is almost the whole wall. I initially thought about doing that but it would take lots of exterior work and we went away from that idea.
    Here are a couple pictures....

Shot at 2012-04-10

Shot at 2012-04-10

Thanks again!

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

I don't like the location of the wall ovens.I used to have a wall oven that was right next to the doorway into my dining room, the same way your oven is next to the mudroom doorway. I always hated it...when the oven door was open it completely blocked the doorway. Also,because there was a counter across from it, like in your design, I felt it was a cramped and awkward space. I would move the fridge and ovens down to the other end of that wall and have the open counter space up by the mudroom doorway.

• compman723
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rocketmomkd thank you for your comment I will look into that and can see how that could be a problem. I never would have thought of that!

• compman723
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone have any other ideas or things i should look at?

Thanks!

• rosie
    12 years ago

Compman, your pantry and mudroom look really nice. Being accessed from right by the cook's area makes the pantry seem especially appealing for some reason, beyond the obvious utility. Probably a territorial thing. :)

Where do you think you'd do most of your prep? It seems as if the island will be mostly devoted to cleanup, plus veggie washing. 9' for the stove counter leaves, what, anywhere from 2.5 to 3' on each side for working? That's not bad, but it's not luxurious. I don't know how you cook, but I am wondering if you can afford to donate the counter space to those decorative cabinet extensions.

I do know from experience that if that were my kitchen I'd never put that counter next to the fridge to good use, leaving me free to do something similar, or a nice hutch look there. Or something.

Regarding the proposed bar area, in your place I'd have a what-to-do-with-the-bay-window problem, but I don't think I'd fix it that way. If you want a bar there, I don't see why not. It works. For me, though, it feels slightly cramped, and the all-important dining and walk-through functions would make me not want a counter eating up valuable floor space.

Old homes do have higher window bays, like yours, and they can be very charming and fun to decorate. Finishing it as a feature in itself would be an option. The height would allow it to double as a serving counter too, although without the counter the room would hold a dining table wide enough to hold serving dishes in the middle.