Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfbald

Best steps for painting kitchen cabinets

dfbald
11 years ago

We are just about to start painting our kitchen cabinets. I have read about many different ways but tell me your best approach and steps taken.

What did you use to prep the cabinets?
What kind of primer did you use? Oil based or latex?
How many times did you sand and at what point?
What kind of paint did you use and what finish? Satin? Oil or latex?
Did you use a sprayer or brush and what kind?
And how long did it take?

Thank you!!

Comments (2)

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

I had saved this in my clippings back when I considered painting my cabinets. Don't know anything about the process and how it works but here it is:

RE: Paint these kitchen cabinets? (Follow-Up #38)
    posted by: bbstx on 07.30.2012 at 10:36 pm in Home Decorating & Design Forum

There was a person who used to post on the kitchen forum quite frequently. She had re-done several houses. She advocated painting cabinets as follows (I've cut and pasted her advice from several different threads):
    I only use high quality nylon (Purdy) brushes. I prefer them for wood finishes. They cost more but they last forever!

This is exactly what I use:

Sherwin Williams PrepRite ProBlock Interior Exterior Seals and Bonds, Latex primer (be sure you get exactly that one...it says BONDS on the label). It's made to cover shiny surfaces and bond tightly, and I've used it in several kitchens, and on all of my interior woodwork and it does BOND!! No sanding, just wipe down your cabinets with either a TSP and water mixture or a little vinager and water to get rid of grease.

This stuff is wonderful. I've converted many naysayers to the primer because you really don't have to sand or use a deglosser, and even if they're thermafoil...it will BOND and you'll have a finish you can then paint on. :O) It's so much easier. I just love it (I just picked up another couple of gallons last night). And the finish will be tough as nails by the way. I personally also like to use a high quality sherwin williams paint.

I use one coat primer and let it dry a day at least, then two coats (one day between at least) of paint with a good Purdy brush (which is important). With just one coat the grain still effects the paint, but with the two on top of the primer you get that nice smooth look :)

I'm a paint freak, so forgive me for saying this if you know. Don't use rollers for wood. I like a 1 1/2 inch and a 2 1/2 or 3" brush at the most. The smaller works well on the small areas so you don't drip or oversmear the sides of the project.

I have painted several cabinets using the SW primer without any other prep work, except making sure the cabinets were relatively clean. So far they have held up fine.

• jeri
    11 years ago

Bump

Hoping for more input from those who have gone before... :-)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida