Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beths96

Opinions on lower-priced granite

beths96
13 years ago

Hi everyone! I have wanted granite countertops in my kitchen since we did the remodel in 2004, but I wasn't able to afford them then. There's a possibility that we might have some funds to get granite in the near future. I wouldn't change anything else about the kitchen..paint, cabinets, floors, backsplash, appliances, etc. will all stay the same.

I am looking for opinions or pictures about granite in the lower end of the price range. I think that a lower-priced choice will be the only way I can get my granite. :) So, if you could, please suggest a granite for my kitchen that wouldn't be outrageous. Right now, I have a great laminate that I love, but it's starting to show some wear, especially around the sink and stove. It's held up great for 6 years, though, and I've loved it. But if I can get granite now, I would like to do it. I haven't been to look at the local granite store yet, and I wanted to do some research beforehand.

I would like to stick with granite in a darker color, if possible. Do you think darker would look better than a lighter shade in my kitchen? Or would a lighter shade look ok? I do know that I'm not a big fan of uba tuba because of the green in it. I do know that it's a lower-priced option, so it's hard to say no to.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• jb1176
    13 years ago

There are some beautiful granites in the lower cost range. How about Tropical Brown, Tan Brown, Peacock, Black Pearl, etc? They are lower cost granites and are pretty indestructible. Black Pearl would be very similar to what you have now. Let us know what you decide.

Your kitchen turned out really nice. I like the paint color on the walls with the white cabinets. Which white did you use for the cabinets? Was it a DIY project or did you have them professionally painted?

• jb1176
    13 years ago

Another thought, if money were suddenly not an object, is to use honed Jet Mist granite in your kitchen. It would be fabulous with your white cabinets and the stainless steel. Your kitchen is calling out for this granite.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I'll bet you can find some very nice granites at the lower prices. Also, don't rule out unexpected bargains; larger remnants, an overstock of a particular granite when you go the stoneyard, things like that could be your "shoportunity" to quote that Marshall's ad!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is very pretty. I don't have a white kitchen, but I really love the look of light granite with white cabs...I think it looks so elegant. Bianco Romano, Colonial Cream, White Kashmir ...but I'm not sure which price catagory those colors are in...If I were you I would go to a granite yard as oppossed to say, Home Depot...There is so much variety out there, I'm sure you will find something you love! Keep us posted with pictures etc...Happy Shopping!!

• beths96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! My cabinets are actually not painted, they are thermofoil, lol! A lot of people who see them in pictures and online think they are painted. They've held up very well. I wanted painted, but couldn't afford them at the time, so Kraftmaid BelAir is what I picked. I hope I have them forever...that's how much I love my kitchen.

Thank you all for your opinions! Black pearl is a lower priced choice? I would be very, very happy to have it in my kitchen! When I originally did this kitchen, I wanted to get Blue Pearl so badly...but I couldn't justify the big cost.

I like that white, tan, and black tiny-speckled granite that is always on the lower end of the price range. Sometimes it's used for gravestones...kwim?

But I do like the darker colors and think they would look great. Does anyone have a good website they can share that shows big pictures of the granites?

And also, I definitely plan on using a local company. Actually, there's only one granite business in the immediate area. The only other choices are Lowe's, or granite yards in a city about 45 minutes away.

We know someone who works as an installer for the local granite yard, and saw the granite he has in his home. They do great work. That's what I would like to use them, if we can afford it. Budget is really important here. It's been hard to convince my hubby that adding this granite would add value to the house. He's fine with us just keeping the laminate, but I think I've changed his mind a bit about granite. But...we would definitely have to choose from the lower price range of granites.

Thank you! Any pictures or website you could share would be awesome. :)

That bianco romano is very, very pretty!!

• doraville
    13 years ago

I've always heard Ubatuba is the cheapest and amazingly goes with everything. You have a beautiful kitchen.

• boysrus2
    13 years ago

Uba Tuba. My mother put it in her guest bathroom and it's lovely. Greenish-black with shiny flecks that catch the light. A few of the others mentioned already are considered mid-priced in my area.

• hmdennis
    13 years ago

Just a question to consider. Will you have to replace at least some of your backsplash? A friend of mine had new granite installed in an existing kitchen and was told she would have to redo her backsplash to install the granite under the first row of tiles.

Maybe this is not a consideration in your situation, but thought I would raise it. I LOVE your kitchen, so classic and homey. I think black pearl would be great. I love my emerald pearl. Can't wait to see the new pics!

• gmnolen
    13 years ago

I have uba tuba and I cannot see green in it. Neither can anyone who has seen it. It is black with silver and tan flecks. I absolutely love it!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I think your kitchen is beautiful...I am biased about white and your cabinets look great with the appliances and hardware you paired them with. I am not knowledgeable about granite, so will leave that to the experts.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite by price range

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. There's a lot of competition in the granite world right now. Check Craigslist for good pricing. You've got some great recommendations so far. The prices are based on color and demand so shop around and you should be able to get a nice granite installed very reasonably. I've seen it for as low as $17.95 sf installed with sink recently.

• wa8b
    13 years ago

You might want to look into one of the companies that does granite overlays. A process where they sort of "slip-cover" your existing countertops with a veneer of granite or engineered stone. There are several outfits that do this sort of thing, and I think there's even ways to handle it as a DIY project. Do a google search for "granite countertop overlays" and you'll find a bunch of information. If you live near a city that does a big annual home show or exhibition, there are always representatives showing their overlay products at those. The link below will take you to the website of one such national company, but there are others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite Transformations

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Depending upon your area, your lowest priced option might be different than in other locations. I know that at one granite yard I saw Kashmir White for so dirt cheap! Like $19/sq ft.

So go with a list, but go see what these yards have a surplus of too. Some might have a "return" that they are worried about unloading, and depending upon how many slabs you need, you might be able to find some remnants if you are lucky!

• nicoletouk
    13 years ago

Hey, I know your kitchen! I've looked at it MANY times on the FKB. I was always impressed at the look you got on a tight budget.

When I first started reading your post, my initial response was Ubatuba. Take a look at it again, this time in a honed finish. It is a totally different look. If I wanted a dark granite, that would be my first choice.

Nicole

• susieliz
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen! So clean, classic and homey. My kitchen will be very similar although we have maple cabinets. We are starting a remodel and are planning on using black pearl honed granite. It would have a similar look as your black countertops. If you're wondering about dark vs light granite put some white paper over your countertops and see how you like the look. I think you need that black to set off the cabinets and backsplash. I love the tile and grout you used for your backsplash. Do you remember what they are? It looks from the picture like the grout is dark, is that so?

• suzluvsflowers
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is very nice! Love the idea of staying with dark countertops. Do you remember what the name of your present laminate is? What kind of edge does it have? I know you want to upgrade, but it looks very nice as is, at least in the photos!

• beths96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, everyone is so nice! Thank you! Like I said, I do love the laminate I have, but getting granite has always been a dream. However....I worked up the sq. footage yesterday, after I posted here, and now I'm worried I won't be able to afford it. I really don't want to spend more than $2000 - $2500. Is that unrealistic??

I appreciate all your kind comments! I love when people think my cabinets are painted. :) And the tile is 3x6 Daltile Rittenhouse Square, matte finish, Arctic White color. The grout is a dark gray color, Delorean Gray from Lowe's. I thought it looked better than the light gray grout choice. I did the backsplash myself. I have the Plugmold under the cabinets, and just added some undercabinet lights recently.

The countertops are Wilsonart Graphite Nebula. I got it without the backsplash section. In the description i wrote up of the kitchen right after it was finished, I wrote that they cost $1500 (With the labor)...but I don't remember them being so expensive? Oh well! Maybe my dreams of granite are out the window!

I appreciate all of your input. On Tuesday, I'm going to the local granite yard and ask for a free estimate. They're running a special for that right now. And then I'll tell them we expect to have about $2500 max, and can they work with us on that? Granite is not very common for homes in my area, unless they are new construction, and not even that common in those cases. Most kitchen remodels in this area are oak cabinets with laminate or Corian counters. I know I'll be over-improving for the neighborhood, but we're staying here for a long time (God willing!), so I don't care. :)

Thanks so much for your kind words! Here's my link to the finished kitchens blog, with details from my kitchen. Started in 2003, finished up in early 2004.

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen

• nkkp
    13 years ago

I agree with firsthouse mp - prices can vary wildly according to your location or fabricator. Also, be sure you are compairing apples to apples when getting price quotes from fabricators. Some include cut-outs, edges, etc...others don't. For example, I quoted the $40 'special' NVG at home depot. By the time I paid $15 PER faucet hole (total of 25 holes in my house), rough cut-outs for the cooktop, sink cut-outs AND instillation ($200 per vanity, $350 prep/main), rodding, radius corners, and edges the cost was nearly DOUBLE other fabricators who had a higher per foot cost but they included everything in the final cost.

• kelvar
    13 years ago

When we were looking, we went to supplier to supplier looking for the right granite. I also went to visit our installer's supply of granite. Surprisingly, they had a wonderful selection of granite...it rivaled the biggest and the best granite yards that I have been stalking (lol). Their prices were far cheaper than if I had selected from the granite yards. Our installer charged by the foot...not the slab (like the granite yards). They had also gotten some pretty nice closeouts from another granite supplier that went out of business. I was able to select African granites for what I consider to be dirt cheap. Bottom line: search the installer's yards as well. You never know what you may find. Good luck!