Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilly_ny_gw

Temporary Plywood Counters

dilly_ny
11 years ago

My cabinets are being delivered this week! Yippee!!!! Now I am wondering whether I should ask my GC to install plywood for temporary countertops? I assume it will take 2-4 weeks to order, template and install stone counters and I am very anxious to start using our new space. We've already lived for 10 weeks with no kitchen.

My questions about temporary plywood cabinets are as follows:

1) Does a plywood base go under stone counters?

2) If I install plywood counter, should it be cut to the exact size and shape I want the counters (i.e. one side of island with rounded shape)?

3) If I install temporary plywood counters can I fill the cabinets? Or will they need to be emptied again for stone countertop install?

4) Will the plywood tops need to be removed to template for permanent countertops?

5) Any other pros or cons about temporary counters?

Thanks GW!

Comments (14)

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I know people will put temporary counters in for various reasons. I've heard of people doing it in order to get through inspections because their counters will just not be ready in time to get their CO, just like putting in a 30" range in a place where their 60" super deluxe range will go.

Stone counters go directly on top of the cabinets.

If you want to do this simply to make life easier, I would just put something on top to work on while waiting for your counters.

• User
    11 years ago

I usually recommend that the old counters and sink be put aside for reuse temporarily while waiting on the permanent counter installation. If those are long gone, then plain cheap plywood can serve as a temp counter. I wouldn't do any overhang on any island as these won't be fastened down and you don't want them to tip.

As to whether or not a plywood subtop will be needed under the granite, that depends on it's thickness. 3cm granite goes straight on the cabinets, while 2cm usually goes onto a plywood subtop. Most 2cm is found on the west coast areas and most 3cm is east of the Rockies. It can vary though, depending on your location in relationship to a port city. I've heard of some 2cm making it's way into Texas, shipped direct from China.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Not TEN WEEKS! OMG. How are you surviving?

Plywood is quick and easy. I'd also recommend something less expensive like OSB. Why waste $$ on something you'll probably throw away, or the GC will take with him?

You can fill your cabs, but since the countertops are secured from underneath, you'll have to remove most of it when the time comes.

As far as templating? I took my plywood off (in the MBR) when they came to template. I wanted perfect accuracy and no excuses possible if my marble wasn't EXACT. I've saved and paid on this for over a year. No chances to be taken! IOW, I'd think you'd want to remove it.

You don't have to cut or shape it at all if you don't want to. It's temporary.

As far as a substrate, It's not so common for domestic stone to need one. If you were doing some kind of laminate, they no longer use plywood. MDF is the preferred material because it doesn't react to moisture as wood does.

I have just removed my plywood of 7 years. If you paint or seal it you can wipe it down. Heck. On one section I actually laid down base cabinet doors to set things on. Can't get more temporary than that, I guess.

Congrats on your cabinets being delivered. I can't wait to see your pictures! It's tough being without a kitchen. Even if it's just for a few weeks.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I'm in the SF Bay Area and they do 5/8" plywood under 2cm solid surface. The plywood was cut to be the desired counter size/shape, including radius cut on one side of the peninsula. When they templated, no laser was used, just pieces of thin, bendable wood laid out following the plywood shape.

I had no prior experience with getting a new counter, so I thought everyone had plywood underneath. I was grateful that's the norm where I live, because a plywood counter beats no counter any day of the week. It helped me immensely when I was painting my ceiling and didn't have to worry much about drips.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I had plywood on my perimeter because I make cakes and had several due while my kitchen was being re-done. I needed a working surface. My island cabs are now in and I do not have plywood. Wish I did because I'm dying to sit at the island!! Anyway, I have 3cm granite and 3cm marble and plywood does not stay underneath it. They plywood must come off to template, but even if you use it, it's just laying there - it's not fastened in any way. Yes, you can fill your cabinets, but the top drawers will probably get dust/yuck inside while they install, so you might want to leave those empty. Good luck! (PS - my marble is taking exactly 3 weeks from template date to install. They are running a week behind schedule right now; normally takes 2 weeks.)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Stone counters go directly on top of the cabinets. "

That depends on the thickness (mainly) of the stone.

2 cm thick stone is routinely placed over plywood for support.

3 cm stone can go right over cabinets without additional support in most cases.

Available stone thickness varies across the USA.
    Shipping 3 cm stone is expensive.

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Everyone.

CEF... yes, its been 10 weeks and I haven't had any significant delays. We are doing an addition to our 1948 cape. Having lived with an old kitchen with 1948 cabinets for 15 years, I am ready to start living with modern day amenities. Tile is in, so all I need is cabinets (Thursday), appliances, countertops, and finishing touches. Keeping my fingers crossed for it to all come together asap. Stay tuned...

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I always look forward to pictures. :)
    Gives me ideas and encouragement.

You wouldn't happen to be doing an inset cabinet, would you? It would be so in keeping with your Cape!

• springroz
    11 years ago

I will be living with plywood for 6-8 weeks also..... Maybe this will allow me to actually MOVE.....
    I think the man making the counters said the wood goes directly on cabinets.
    Nancy

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, inset! But not the OTK that would be expected in a cape. I will post pics soon. I am sure I will still be sweating about countertops and want help / ideas/ inspiration/ encouragement /wine, etc. Maybe I need to reread the letting go of perfect thread. LOL

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Our GC put a plywood countertop on the island only so we'd have a place to work off of. Glad he did. It came off when the countertops were installed. He went over and above. Rounded the corners and put an overhang so we could put stools there if we wanted.

• catlover5
    11 years ago

I, myself, thought that granite would sit on top of plywood and not directly on the cabs. I also thought that the sink would sit on the cabinet and plywood but not be affixed to the stone so it shows I really don't know much! Although I am only in the beginning phase, we had some very unexpected vet bills that have set us back and I may be living with plywood counters for a while when the time comes. I have a tiny kitchen and was thinking of possibly getting 1 or 2 pieces of Ikea countertop to hold me over until we are ready for the granite. I thought that might look a bit nicer than a piece of plywood and when we are ready for the stone, DH could find something else to do with the counters . . . maybe use them in the garage or basement. Good luck.

• standu
    9 years ago

If you live anywhere near an Ikea store, they have quite inexpensive, premade countertops. The FYNDIG counters are a plastic surfaced wood composite, 25-5/8" deep, 1-1/8" thick, 96-7/8" long and only cost about $50. All you need to do is chop off the length you need. Slap one of these in place and you might not need to rush your stone or (Caesar)stone.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County