Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Fabulous damask tile

oldbat2be
12 years ago

Hollysprings introduced me to the idea of a damask tile on my backsplash post which intrigued me, and I've been searching ever since for the right one. I have found one which is definitely making my heart beat faster, had to share because it is so beautiful.

(Thank you holly!!!!)

MFR is architerra; best way to view the site is to go to www.architerra.com/damask. I have ordered samples in a selection of colors.

The tiles are 6"x6" and you can either use the full 4x3 layout, repeated in a brick pattern, or create different pattens with a subset of the full pattern. Also, you select the background and detail colors, so great ability to customize.

Some Color Combinations:

I've attached a link to their full color palette.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Palette

Comments (14)

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

Gorgeous color combinations! Walker Zanger has some really beautiful damask tiles, too.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Here's another gorgeous example:

Here is a link that might be useful: Damask Tile Kitchen

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

How lovely.
    I've not seen a tile I've wanted to have yet, but I think that might have changed...!!!

I'm off to look and muse...

• ayerg73
    12 years ago

That is BEAUTIFUL tile!

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Wow! Love it.

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

Very beautiful and unique.

Uh oh...This has got me thinking again...back to the drawing board...I wish my remodel would start so I don't keep changin my mind!!!!!!!!!

Oldbat--what colors are you leaning towards?

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Ohhhhh, these are so beautiful! I've always been a fan of damask. What pattern and colors are you considering? Oh my gosh, what a tough (but delightful) choice to make!

• eleena
    12 years ago

Very nice!

I love Damask pattern and think that it is as "timeless" as it gets, but what happens the next time it goes out of style for awhile?

I am sure it will come back sooner or later but will one want to rip the tile out meanwhile?

• User
    12 years ago

I'm glad that you were inspired. I only hope the prices on that tile don't give you heart failure. There's a local showroom for Architerra, but it's not one of those places you can go when you've been painting the bathroom and just have an hour to kill to wait for it to dry until the next coat.

I think that choosing something classic like a damask print can be "fad proof" even if it goes out of style. You will always see it used in upholstery in more formal style rooms, so it's never really "out", so much as it can be "not current". But, if it's something you love, you love it, and it has style, even if it's not in style, if you understand what I mean.

When we inherited some gorgeous Danish MCM furniture, it was most definitely not "in" at the time. It was still gorgeous, and had classic simple lines and it still appealed to the clean modern styling that we loved. Fast forward 15 years, and that furniture would probably command quite a premium in an antique store instead of being used as a basis to paint and "remake". The cycle has come around again. And it will go around again as people tire of the trend. And, so what? I don't chase trends, even though I may sometimes pick something that has recently become "trendy".

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses all - glad you enjoyed seeing the tile.

I've ordered samples and will post pictures of various ones/colors once I receive. Hard to say whether I like the lighter color in the foreground or background; very different effects, but I'm leaning towards the darker background.

laxsupermom, allison0704 - I like both of those, thanks for posting.

eleena - at this price (and hollysprings is once again on top of things), I would never be ripping out.

hollysprings -- If not heart failure, certainly indigestion!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

so gorgeous! hollysprings, and oldbat2be, would you mind sharing how much this runs? just a ballpark would be good, just to see if i can even consider it or if i should just forget about it? i cannot wait to see your pics (i may have to live vicariously through you)!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well the good news is that it's less than the Beau Monde I fell for at $137/sf... the bad news is not by much. Really, not much ($126-$132/sf). The other bad news (for DH) is that slowly I'm becoming inured to these larger numbers. Now I look at $50/sf and scoff. (Not really, but you get the idea!). I did, however, know enough to draw the line when the designer started suggesting matching field tile, at around $70/sf.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

oldbat2be, ouch! living vicariously.... cannot wait to see pics. it will be stunning!
    i guess the good thing is if it just for backsplash, you do not need too much.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Hi Oldbat. I missed your backsplash post. I've looked at that same tile! (Only online, not IRL.) I'm really leaning towards something with pattern or the appearance of a textural pattern. I'm not sure I can carry it off now that I see how much pattern my Carrara has. Everything I've looked at so far has been in about that price range. I haven't had the cajones to tell DH the price yet... :) Ouch.

I think it would look smashing in your kitchen! I can't wait to see the samples posted in yours!