Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajpl_gw

counter top height advice

ajpl
16 years ago

I have my permanent sink (Corstone single 9" deep bowl) sitting in my temporary plywood counter top until my cabinets are built. The temp countertop is at 36" and I'm finding that reaching down into the sink to wash dishes is not comfortable.

I had considered a slightly higher countertop but I'm thinking it would have to be 38 or 39" to even make much of a difference. Is that reaosnable? Would it look strange?

I'm not tall at 5'6" but my DH is 6'2". But I don't think I'd be struggling with a higher counter top or anything. I do plan to have my kitchen aid at the other end of the same counter top and thought higher might be ackward for that. I suppose I could do a bump up for the sink?

Also the island across from the counter top in question was intended to be slightly lower. If it's 33 or 34 I'm afraid 38 will look really high!

What do you think?

Comments (14)

• alku05
    16 years ago

Do you have a sink grid in the sink? I think I would try that before making the decision on the counter height.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

I'm 5'5" and my old kitchen had 38" high countertops and that's what I'm doing in the new one. Countertops have been getting higher in kitchens,according to 3 kitchen, designers I've talked to, because people are taller than when the old 36" standard height was set. When I work in someone else's kitchen with lower counters than mine I get lower back aches in a hurry. Maybe just because I'm getting older but I think you should do the height for comfort and it won't look odd.

• ajpl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alku05, I don't have a grid right now. I've never used one and wonder if I'd like it. What's the advantage?

flseadog, that's exactly what happens to me, it's really only minutes before I feel the low back strain. It's really true about the height of people. We bought a 1930s bathroom sink and if we had chosen the one with a pedestal it would have to be built up on a platform to be comfortable.

• gardenwebber
    16 years ago

How does one go about doing this? Do you have the cabinets made taller, or do you just put some sort of platform on the bottom to shim them up?

• sautesmom Sacramento
    16 years ago

I also was thinking of higher cabinets around 38-39 inches because that's comfortable for me, but what do you do with the stove? My range measures 36 inches high.

Carla in Sac

• alku05
    16 years ago

The sink grid will make the sink feel like the bottom of it is about an inch higher. Also, they're particuarly useful in a single sink because it holds dishes off the bottom of the sink so water can drain easily even with a very full sink.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

In my old kitchen the range and dishwasher both sat on built raised platforms. The base cabinets were custom built at 2 inches higher than normal and this gave extra room in the drawers (toekick stayed at normal height although I've read that the usual way to add height is to add height to toekicks) When we bought the house I thought it was weird (20 some years ago)but the husband and wife we bought it from were both over 6' tall so they really didn't want anything low. I came to like the extra height, especially for the dishwasher and the range. In our rented condo while waiting for the re-build to finish I'm amazed at how much I have to bend down to load the dishwasher.

• gardenwebber
    16 years ago

So, just to re-iterate for comprehension purposes...

One could have standard cabinet heights and put them AND stove and DW on top of 2 inches of plywood?

• flseadog
    16 years ago

I think you could but then I'm notoriously unhandy and have been set straight a number of times by DH or contractors on the exact was to accomplish something. In my old kitchen with an L-shaped arrangement the range sat a one end of the short leg on a raised platform. The sink was in the middle of the long leg and the dishwasher sat next to it on a raised platform. All of the base cabinets were built with a standard toekick and an extra 2 inches in the useful space so that the countertop sat at 38" high. I don't see why the cabinets couldn't also sit on a raised plywood base along with the appliances but you're probably better off asking the cabinet maker as they would have the practical knowledge of how to do this.

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

does anyone have pics of the range on a platform? i can't imagine how this works. my range will have a stainless "apron" running along the bottom. wouldn't you see the platform under the range and won't this look odd ...as in bad? i would love it if it looks ok as i had 38" counter height in my last house and would love it again. TIA.

• nutellasandwiches
    16 years ago

Yes, I'd love to see a range on a platform/plywood too. It would be nice to build my counters up 3/4".

Is it ok for a range (i have an ag wolf) to be sitting on plywood (combustable?)

• ajpl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In my case, I don't have cabinets yet at all. They will be built in place so I'll build whatever height I decide on. I'm not sure about standard bases but the suggestions sound reasonable.

Also, I have a wall oven that is going in a base cabinet so the range height isn't an issue for me. I would think if you raised the range you would need a filler piece to cover the bottom. It would look bad if you could see the plywood.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

My old range, dishwasher, and cabinets were white. The bases (I'm not sure how they were constructed but must have been really solid at least for the range to hold up that old time over/under combination with a microwave on top). For the range the raised platform was flush with the front edge of the appliance because that's where the "feet" of the range were, for the dishwasher it was recessed to line up with the toe kick. In both cases the raised platform was covered with a panel that matched the toe kick. All of it blended together seamlessly and didn't look odd at all. Now that I look back on that old kitchen I realize what a great job that unknown someone did to put it all together.