Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabjimata

What? Nobody Wants Free Hardware?

sabjimata
13 years ago

Hey guys--I haven't been on here much lately because of my little babyness that is keeping me busy...BUT...

I cannot believe no one from here has yet entered the kitchen hardware giveaway at Horton Brasses!

Guys, this is a chance to win majorly expensive awesome quality stuff! For reals!

I finally set up a site in the rough to showcase the entries. Maybe it will inspire some of you to snap some pics and get entered!

XOXOX

Here is a link that might be useful: view the entries!

Comments (17)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've sent this to a friend of mine who is dragging her feet on getting her reno started. I told her to enter her current kitchen because it really is a pretty nice looking kitchen currently!

You could contact Mary Elizabeth at Mission Stone & Tile and see if she will post something about it on their website. I know she is willing to put Interior Design blogger's buttons on her site. mehulsey@missionstone.com

• sayde
    13 years ago

Deva, Look again -- my kitchen is up on the Horton site.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Timing is everything in comedy and life. I would have LOVED free Horton Brasses hardware three months ago. Now, I would have to remove all the RH stuff I horribly paid for.

Hope someone on this site wins it though...maybe sayde?

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Melissa is right, unfortunately. If Horton runs another one in about two years' time, I will *definitely* enter my new kitchen! But at the moment, it exists only in my head, not even on paper.

Good luck, sayde!

Becky

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Hey Deva - can you tell me when the deadline is? I guess maybe I could almost qualify? In theory the cabinets are going in starting today and I haven't got any hardware?! What on earth should I do. There's not much to take a photo of yet ... and if the contest closes a while from now I would need to buy stuff before then... How does this work; can it work? Thanks for letting me know...

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I would have been in on it too, as my hardware is very similar in style to what they have - however I just finished installing the last of it a few days ago.

it's all timing - and there may be a lot of people waiting until after Easter, or Graduation to start their kitchen projects.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I've linked the contest rules below. You have until June 1st to enter. There must be a minimum of 25 entries. :( Y'all enter! I want to judge!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Contest Rules

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Thanks - it sounds like a great opportunity. But I want to use my cabinets before then! Timing's tricky on this sort of thing, isn't it?

• doonie
    13 years ago

I really don't like the knobs I selected on my cherry cabinets, but since they are new I feel guilty about wanting to change them out. (One of those pressured last minute decisions.)

Does the fact I already have unattractive knobs in place disqualify me?

• cj47
    13 years ago

I'm with Melissastar...but, I do love my RH hardware, so I guess it's all good in the end.

Cj

• Fori
    13 years ago

Sab, it's a little bit out of the spirit of the kitchen forum, really, even though you've been part of this community for so long. I think some of us are uncomfortable now that you've gone commercial!

This is a plug to a business by an employee of the business and although I know that's not your intent, that's really what it is. Can't you make up a fake GW account so you seem more of an disinterested kitchener when linking us to your company?

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

Thanks fori, I was thinking the exact same thing! Given how vociferously others are called to order for spamming, advertising, etc this makes me a bit uncomfortable too.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bee--Thanks for the info. Just went over to their site and see your kitchen is on there again! Looks great. I didn't realize you are also in the partial overlay club. Are your cabinets new or painted? Love love love the barrel hinges!

Sayde--Are you the gumwood? Terrific history on that house!

Melissastar--Yes, I hope someone from GW wins too which is why I politely declined the offer to be one of the contest judges. I also have my combo of HB & RH hardware installed on my cabinets and am very satisfied. I totally understand wanting to move on, put the hardware chapter behind and close the book on the remodel!

MacyBaby--Yup, the contest is a little odd in that sense. For me when I remodeled, I had all my hardware picked out and purchased before my cabinets even arrived.

Allison--Thanks for linking the rules.

Aliris--Completely.

Doonie--You can enter with hardware installed that you hate. Basically, anyone with a kitchen can enter. It is presumed that most of the entrants will be people in the midst of a remodel.

cj47--love mine too!

Fori & Runninginplace--
    Thanks for your comments. Personally, I'm torn because I don't feel like a spammer and my intentions are not profit motivated. I freelance for HB, get paid per blog post (my latest post is on butler's pantries), am part of a cadre of bloggers, get no money whatsoever for the contest, have nothing to do with HB sales, and honestly thought the contest would be fun--*especially* for GW people who give so much time and attention to their kitchens.

BUT I don't want to make people feel uncomfortable or be the bad smell in the room. So....I promise to not post any threads HB related. Honestly, what do you guys think of that?

RE: other people's hardware threads, I don't think it is inappropriate for me to recommend HB products since I have used them in two of my remodels and had a great rapport with Orion before the blogging opportunity came about. Plus, I do recommend RH, since I used that, too. Gotta admit, I love an underdog. I'm always quick to recommend Fivestar, too.

You guys should know I am a straight shooter. I could have asked one of my forum member buddies to post the contest here, but then I would have felt conflicted/duplicious. Same if I would have had a second screen name....like sabjimata1 ;)

Anyway, I really do appreciate your frankness. And that you delivered your opinions in a kind way. I was just reading over the high end Ikea thread last nite and honestly, my head hurt at how snotty people can get on here!

One thing I'd like to add before I post this is that I am really happy to be able to blog and be a SAHM, earning some money to go towards our HELOC payments. Last year I was working in a school as a language arts instructor. When I was 5 mo. pregnant, I had a 3rd grader throw a chair across the room! Yikes. No thanks. So I do feel blessed that I have this opportunity to work from home with my little baby in my arms. It's a great arrangement made possible by Orion. But honestly, that arrangement was made possible by the GW Kitchen forum. This is a great community, full of inspiration, and I don't want to jeopardize my relationships here.

Thank you, again, for your kind honesty.

Over and out. XXOOXXOO

• chellamaral
    13 years ago

I just entered! The Mickett's Marvelously Modest Kitchen!

• sayde
    13 years ago

Hi there Sab. Yes, the gumwood kitchen is me.

However I am afraid I may need to withdraw from the contest. We had gotten several RH Gilmore pulls in Antique Brass but still need more. These are now on clearance, 50% off. We need more to finish the kitchen, and for the island, which is yet to be built.

I don't think I can wait til June and take the chance that they will still be there -- the contest may not attract 25 people and if it does, I may well not win -- and I cannot take the chance that the Gilmore pulls, now on clearance, will still be there in June. So to be prudent I really need to go ahead and buy them now. Really a shame.

• annachosaknj6b
    13 years ago

Hmmm...can I enter my photoshopped mockups? Otherwise photos of my kitchen would be either the nightmarish old kitchen or the current kitchen, which is lovely if you like exposed plumbing and studs and giant green tarps.

And FTR it doesn't bother me that Sabjimata posted this. She's aboveboard about what she does and she has enough cred here that this wasn't offensive at all...to me, anyway.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sayde--I totally understand. That is an awesome sale. I hope they are not phasing out the Gilmore!

Anna--you can submit photos of floorplans and samples ;)