Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jb1176_gw

Calling on Cali Wendy if you are still around

jb1176
14 years ago

Cali Wendy,

If you are still viewing this site I hope you will answer a couple of inquiries.

Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful and I've searched for details you might have posted earlier but I can't seem to find out the name of the color of paint you used in the kitchen and the adjoining room - dining or family room in your pictures on another post on white kitchens. I really like the soft green that you've used. Please share the name.

Also, I was wondering who made your cabinets and are they factory painted or was that a DIY project?

I was hoping to find your kitchen on the FKB site and hope you will consider posting details there.

Thanks again for sharing the photos of your beautiful kitchen.

JB1176

Comments (8)

• jsweenc
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I will chime in with my own questions which I posted on the other thread.

I too want to know whether your paint in the LR is the same as that in the kitchen. Also what color your ceilings and trim are.

One more, what are your floors and how are they finished?

I love the breakfast nook and the bigger dining table on either end of the island, plus the great island seating. Looks like a great place for a gathering! (IIRC, you have grandchildren who frequent your home? What a great space for them to be with you!)

• willet
    14 years ago

Hi Cali Wendy,
    I'm a newbie & posted this on the white kitchens thread. JBrig suggested I respost here, so I am. (see post below). My short question: What the make/model of your white sink? Thanks.
    I'm wondering what make and model of sink Cali Wendy has. It looks like a double equal cast iron, but perhaps it is a fireclay. I'm starting on a minor redo of my 1940's era kitchen--replacing cabinets, sink, and stove. I'm struggling with the choice of a sink. Right now, Ihave a 40" wide cast iron sink, double equal, with a very deep bowl on one side and shallower on the other. I'm installing a smaller base cabinet to free up more counter space. (My 40" vintage sink is listed on craig's list--am hoping to spare it from a landfill). I like Cali Wendy's sink. Onthe other hand, I may still go with a stainless. Can't decide.
    I'm putting in cabinets that are antique white and I think I'm going to use a Cambria quartz countertop. I was going to use Fieldstone or Sussex, but I'm worried that the counter will be too dark (the kitchen doesn't get much natural light). Cambria has a "Waverton" that looks something like marble. I have friends who think this will be too gray for the Antique White. But, from some of the photos, it seems that grayish marble looks OK with whites that are creamy with yellow tones. Any thoughts from the experts here?

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Oh goodness, I just noticed some questions for me from a month ago on the thread regarding white cabinets with light counters...then I saw this link. Some how it all slipped past me! Sorry!

I'm on the site frequently, but I wish there was a way to get email notifications after you have posted on a thread. Feel free to email me. I'm happy to answer any questions that I can. I love GW! :)

I have yet to post to finished kitchens yet because, well...it's not finished yet! Ha ha. I've been waiting on some fixes (i.e. cracked grout, cracked caulking, touch-up painting) and some finishes (i.e. cabinet lighting, sconces and pendant lights). I should just take some good photos to post and then update later. I've been procrastinating I suppose. ;)

**JB1176:

Thank you so much. I appreciate the compliments. The paint color is Benjamin Moore Dried Basil (#1510).

My cabinets were custom built by a local cabinetmaker. I can't say that I would recommend him. He was extremely difficult to work with and had temper tantrums on site during the installation. At least they look pretty, but I'm glad he is gone. :)

I will definitely get something posted to FKB before too long!

**JSweenC:

Yes, the BM Dried Basil is used throughout. It is such an open floor plan I didn't think there was a way to change it up. I like it though. The ceiling is a 25% mixture of the wall color. The trim is painted BM Linen White, although I must add a disclaimer about these colors. I had a TERRIBLE painter. (Yes, my cabinet maker and my painter are both not worthy of recommendations!) That said, he used cheap paint instead of Benjamin Moore and I'm not sure the colors turned out exactly as they should have. Especially the trim. The trim is actually supposed to be the same color as the cabinets if you can believe that! The trim looks much whiter though. Some of it could be due to the difference in the type of paint (the cabinets are a spray lacquer finish), but I'm pretty sure the trim will get much closer to the cabinet color once I have it repainted with BM paint (someday!).

The floors are 3'' white oak finished on site. I loved my floor guy. I think he made relatively inexpensive floors look really nice. We couldn't find a dark-ish brown stain that didn't REALLY bring out the oak grain in the floors, which I wasn't a fan of. So, he actually stained them a very light color and then did a rich brown glaze over that which really minimized the look of the oak grain. I'm sorry I don't have the names of the colors he used.

Oh, I'm glad you like the breakfast nook. It's not much of one, but we plan to bump out some day and add windows on 3 sides of a nook with banquet seating. We will also expand our family room and add a master bedroom. The kitchen and other areas of our remodel were Phase I and we didn't add any additional square footage this time. We plan to stay in the house, so we've got lots of plans for the future! :)

My daughter is 4-years old, so we have definitely been enjoying the space with her.

Willet:

I'm sorry I missed your post previously! I'm going to go back to the other thread as well and see if there is anything else I missed!

My sink is a Kohler Executive Chef. Nothing fancy, but I had the same one in my last house and it worked great for us, so I got the same one again. One side is bigger and deeper and the other side is smaller and I keep a dish drainer (specifically made for the Executive Chef) in there, which is perfect for all of the sippy cups I hand wash. :) My architect had recommended a Kohler Smart Divide, which has the lower divider in the middle, but after looking at it, I still liked the Executive Chef better.

Thanks again for your interest in my kitchen! None of my friends or family are TKO, so I love that folks on GW share my passion for kitchens and remodeling! Good luck to you.

~Wendy

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Oh, yikes! So sorry to call you a grandmother! I am confusing your details with someone else. Thanks for answering. Did you have your floors poly'd or just the stain and glaze? We have a floor person coming today to give an estimate to refinish, and another sometime next week. Just looking for good options besides the default oil-based poly that we have on all our floors. Are they holding up and wearing well?

Ugh, tantrums. Every time I hear a worker getting frustrated out in the kitchen, I just want to run and hide. Usually it's just material or operational frustration, but the GC's son and SIL do most of the carpenter work, and the son has a temper and sometimes yells at his dad. The dad is quietly humble and just says "Yeah, maybe that will work" or "I'll keep looking at it", never yells back. I always hate being present for those exchanges and especially that my kids hear them. Glad for you that it's done!

• willet
    14 years ago

Thanks for your reply about the sink! Can't believe how helpful this is.The downside is that the forum gives me so much information that I keep second guessing my decisions.

I'm still ambivalent about a sink. I think the Kohler EC would probably fit well with the general style of my kitchen, but I'm thinking I might like to try a single bowl. Am considering the Kohler Bakersfield--I think that's the right name.
    At the same time, am also considering stainless. Have to make up my mind soon. Lots of people, though, seem to like the EC. I really do like your kitchen Wendy!

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

jsweenc: No worries! I didn't have my mug posted, so how could you know?! :) Oh, that sounds awful about your contractor's son. It is awkward to say the least when you hear exchanges like that. My cabinet guy made me cry three times! I'm not that sensitive, but he would freak out and yell and walk off the job. Frustrating, but OVER! :) I'll be happy to hire someone else when we do additional projects in the future.

My floors had 2 coats of poly over the stain and glaze. Even with the poly I find I notice little scratches and things much more on the darker floors than I did with the lighter floors I had previously. I wouldn't trade them though! Love the color, blemishes and all. :)

willet: I know what you mean about so much information and second guessing! I can't tell you how many hours I researched appliances on GW before I finally made a decision. My DH thought I was completely crazy!

Lots of people on GW LOVE their single bowl sinks. I've never had one, so I don't know any different. I liked my EC, so I stuck with it (one less decision to make!). Sometimes I do wish the "big" side of my sink was a little bigger, but I wouldn't be willing to give up the small side where I have my dish drainer. I'm sure you will be happy with your final decision. :)

• kaidan
    14 years ago

Cali_Wendy, you have been awesome with getting everyone the answers!

What did you use for your under-cabinet lighting? In the evening pictures, it looks so warm. Your kitchen is my inspiration for our NEXT kitchen! :)

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Thanks so much kaidan! :)

Actually, my lights are the cheapest fluorescent under-cabinet lights from Lowes. By the end of the remodel we just needed to stop spending money! We were right on budget, but the enormity of what we were spending hit us like a ton of bricks, so we didn't finish our lighting. I went down to Lowes for the under cabinet lights and bought the cheapest thing I could find. I may switch them out to LEDs at some point. We still need the in-cabinet lighting, pendants for over the island and wall sconces throughout the house. I'm hoping this summer! :)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!