Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurencp_gw

What color are your Creamy/off white cabinets?

laurencp
9 years ago

I currently have a fairly "creamy" off white that is more "creamier" than I care for. I have been debating BM White Dove which appears a little to grayish at times...but in photos I've seen it looks stunning, BM. Cloud White
which looks nice , but seems bright at times, Linen White seems too creamy...does anyone have anything to report on BM Alpine White or Bavarian Cream? Thoughts and photos would be appreciated. Countertops are Soapstone, and still hatching a plan for a backsplash. Thanks!!

Comments (7)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

The problem with such a question is that, say, BM Cloud White might look totally different in your kitchen and your light than someone else's.

What you want to decide is what sort of undertones are you looking for? Do you like the yellow undertone of a "cream" but don;t want it too obvious? Would a green or blue or grey undertone suit your kitchen better? Whites can even have an orange or red undertone.

The best thing to do is to bring home as many chis as possible, pick three or four favorites, and purchase samples that you can paint onto large swatches of paper or cardboard.

eta: I had chosen Martha Stewart's "Popcorn" for my kitchen, but it was so wrong, way too yellow. A KD at Home Depot helped me choose MS "Whetstone Grey" but at half-formula and it is absolutely perfect for my kitchen, very much a light greige.

It is the perfect color for my counters and backsplash, but it will not necessarily be someone else's perfect color in their kitchen.

This post was edited by greenhaven on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 8:05

• hbrrbh
    9 years ago

We have BM White Dove cabinets. I got a little worried after we chose it because I read that it might look dingy in a kitchen without a lot of natural light (like ours), but I haven't found that to be the case. I love the color.

• jennybc
    9 years ago

I have SW snowbound. I don't see it mentioned much. It was the perfect balance between the windows and sink.

Jen

• ReBe231
    9 years ago

We went with BM Simply White. In my kitchen, on the north side of the house, it looks like a soft white. I don't see any undertones and yet it is not overly bright. I think it is perfect for us.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have Cloud White and it never appears "bright" in a way that isn't welcome. I really love the color. But as greenhaven points out, it's gonna look different depending on the kitchen and the light. AND outside influences, e.g., there's no green undertone at all in Cloud White, but when the light is right, the neighboring foliage can green up the light.

I also found White Dove to be a little too gray.

Be sure to get a large sample of whatever paint you're considering, as big as a cabinet door if possible. Put it in one spot for a couple of days and see what it looks like. On top of that, an entire kitchen of that color will take on its own identity.

• chisue
    9 years ago

I have BM White Linen trim throughout the house and on the kitchen cabinets, but mine is a very 'traditional' home. Don't faint, but I even have polished brass fixtures and hardware. Floors are medium-dark oak throughout. Light green Costa Esmerelda granite in the kitchen.

I've seen painted furniture offered in a color called 'Cotton' that is a tad less yellow.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I have SW Pearly White which looks good with the leathered antique brown granite, so maybe it will look good with soapstone. The other contender was BM Cloud White. In my kitchen lighting they were both soft, not yellow.

I kept a few cabinet doors from the demo and actually lightly sanded, primed, and painted, front and back, with my sample colors. That helped a lot because I could move the sample doors around the kitchen at different times of day to compare the colors.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz