Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melkel31

ideas for a BS to go with Countertop

melkel31
9 years ago

I am thinking of going with the Cambria Canterbury quartz countertop. Any suggestions on a BS ? I prefer a rustic look but open to suggestions. We are getting Kraftmaid Vintage cabinets and a copper farmhouse sink. thanks for your help! :)
Here's the link for the canterbury : http://www.cambriausa.com/en/Designs/design-palette/Canterbury/

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage black onyx cabinets

Comments (15)

• olympia776
    9 years ago

Did you happen to check out the pinterest copper sink page that was posted in your other thread? I thought there were tons of gorgeous examples!

I'm biased but have you considered wood? I think a shiplap or beadboard could be gorgeous. I've also seen some porcelain tile that looks like barnboard. Sarah Richardson did a gorgeous island in a barnboard with a chevron pattern. I think that look could be beautiful for a backsplash. I also think some form of terracotta tile could be really beautiful with your counter and sink. It also reads as really warm to me which could be beautiful in your rustic home. Maybe something like a star and cross pattern or squares and pickets?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Something that looks like brick but use metal (copper?) behind the cooktop/range. Or paint it black behind the range.

Or a simple lighter tile pulled from the countertop.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the copper is beautiful! however I think it will be too dark with the black cabinets but definitely something to consider!! :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Creamy white painted brick? Or did we dismiss this before? I meant just copper behind the cook top/range and brick or whatever everywhere else.

• crl_
    9 years ago

The countertop is quite busy and fairly dark. And you have a dark room. And you want your copper sink to be the star.

With those elements, I think you should go for a very, very quiet backsplash in the palest color that works with your countertop choice. And I would get something a bit glossy to help bounce light around.

Have you looked at the fireclay tile options? What about Milky Way or butter cream in the tiles? The hand made nature will help some in giving you the rustic feel you are looking for.

Do you have any inspiration pictures? Links might help people see what you are envisioning. I think you need to get some samples and start putting the elements together to see how they look together.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everyone! I am soaking up all of the ideas! ;) I like the barnyard tile idea if i could find in a light whitewashed option possibly?? crl_ I totally agree with you about the subtle BS - a designer mentioned that this weekend and it made a lot of sense to me! we are still juggling between this look and our original "baby" the rustic travertine BS and ??? countertop! ahhh the Countertop ;) just trying to find the perfect look and balance is so so hard! haha!! :)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I understand your being torn, and I just want to commiserate. I had a couple different directions I could go with my backsplash, and each one gave a totally different feel to the kitchen. I know I made the right decision, but when I see my second choice in the store I get all second-guess-y about it.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

haha!! yes totally!!! Even now i just keep thinking I just wish I had two homes so I could put together both kitchens haha ;) in my DREAMS!!! I really love both looks - so afraid of making the wrong decision and looking back and saying what the heck did I do!? ;)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Trust me, you are in good company. This morning as I was driving and doing errands I was calculating my time to see if I could hit up the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore for some used cabinets to fulfill my "I like everything" need. :o/

The right backsplash will come to you. Send for samples as much as you can, and see them in person. Sometimes the reality is far different than the idea of something.

• voila
    9 years ago

Not a fan of the tumbled marble, sorry. With the vintage of your house (not sure where you live) but what about adding color with a mural. Not usually a fan, but found some beautiful oak tree murals that may treat your Canterbury like the ground around its roots. I think adding color would make your kitchen come alive in a classic, welcoming way.

• voila
    9 years ago

Another oak tree backsplash.

• voila
    9 years ago

And another oak tree, giving you rustic but not rough.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you for the idea of the mural. I think our kitchen is too small to pull off a mural. They look nice in large kitchens but unfortunately ours is not very large at all :)

greenhaven that's funny ;) I know it will come to me - i am definitely loving the fire and ice- I emailed them for samples last night and found a tile shop right near here that sells them according to fire and ice shop!! :) have to wait til saturday bc they close at 5:00!!??? haha ;)

• loyalandtrue
    9 years ago

Voila, could you tell me where you found the mural tile in the first picture.
    I love the look and the words.

• voila
    9 years ago

loyalandtrue,

The top mural is 21x21 inches and made by SoMi tileworks.
    It comes in another color also. Both are lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: SoMi tileworks

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource