Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
convection microwave recommendations?

Posted by melkel31 (melanie_kelly@hcpss.org) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 7:01

Remodeling our kitchen soon and we are getting a convection microwave to use as not only a regular microwave, but an extra oven for several times a year when I am always complaining that I NEED another oven! ;) Anyway we are going to mount in in a cabinet built in area so not an OTR microwave... Any suggestions on which convection countertop style to get? any help is much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: convection microwave recommendations?

melkel - make sure that you read and understand the limitations of a convection MW. In reading about them, the standard countertop ones are likely to NOT provide what you're hoping...most people complain the the "oven" part of it is too slow to be of use as a regular oven due to the low electricity draw. Now, if you get one of the speed ovens, like an Advantium, that is built in, you get both the oven speed and the MW ability. BUT, again, you can't get the standard electricity one that they offer (I think it's their OTR model) as it has the same issues that I was mentioning about the regular convection MW.

o

We had a Sharp OTR that worked great until it went to the appliance resting place at 15+ years old. My new Kenmore Elite sucks. It takes forever to heat up and then doesn't bake very well. Pizzas take twice as long to bake as in my oven. The repairman says it works fine, testing water temp after x amount of time in it. I told him to eat a pizza after the package amount of cooking time! It would be raw.

My Sharp cooked more chicken patties, nuggets, and pizzas then I can count.

o

I got many years of satisfactory service from my GE, model JES1290. When it finally started making a lot of racket, I couldn't find the same model. I really needed something more compact, that would't extend past the edge of the counter, when placed sideways on it. The only one sufficiently compact I could find was the Cuisinart Convection Microwave Oven, model CMW-200. I brought it home from Best Buy, with crossed fingers, because of all the negative reviews on Amazon. Many frustrated uses complained that too much heat escaped when one opened the door, after preheating. Well, I don't fool with preheating. I just slap the item in, and add 7 or 8 minutes to the cooking time. Works just fine with biscuits, corn bread, pizza, pot pies (which I prefer to thaw and bake), and the like. I don't think I would try anything likely to splatter, though. Looks like I paid $270 for it, including tax, about a year ago.

o

I have a Dacor and do not recommend it. Even though we have the recommended space around it, the cabinet it's in still feels warm to the touch. Food does not heat consistently. We've stopped using it since we installed the stove, which has a much better quality convection oven setting.

o

I love my GE Advantium 240. 2+years.
Just made awesome leftover pizza. Crispy crust and delicious

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here