Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkrazed09

Inset Cabinet Owners - Please Show Me Your Counter Overhang

kitchenkrazed09
13 years ago

I have finally chosen granite and we are almost ready to template. We have inset cabinets and from what I've read, it seems that 1/2" to 1" is an acceptable counter overhang for this type of cabinet. I was originally going with 1", but now thinking it's too much, not sure if 1/2" is enough, right now leaning toward a 3/4" overhang. I always find photos to be helpful in making a decision. So please, anyone with inset cabinets, I'd like to know how much of an overhang you chose and would really appreciate photos.

Also, we are doing an eased edge on the perimeter counters and either eased or ogee on the island. If we choose ogee for the island, would it be weird to have a different size overhang to account for that edge profile? In other words, if I choose a 3/4" overhang for the perimeter cabinets with an eased edge, would it be okay to choose a 1" overhang for the island if we choose an ogee edge for it?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (14)

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Hi Kitchenkrazed09, I don't have an answer for you. But I have the same question. We will have our inset cabinets installed sometime in June. I'm also curious about the best overhang with inset cabinets. I'm going to ask around and will post what I find. In the meantime, I hope you get some good advice on GW.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Our fabricator typically does 1.5" for frameless and 3/4" for framed inset. We went with 1" for our inset cabinets to match the depth of an adjacent fridge panel and 1.5" on our frameless; visually they look about the same. The best way to check your own preferences is to get a piece of cardboard and test it out, though.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I went with 3/4" because I wanted to get the cooktop as far forward as possible. Also have almost no overhang on the sides because there are walkways on both ends of the cabinet run and I hate dealing with a small sliver of wall to paint, so instead I ran my cabs right to the edge.

I went through my pictures and picked out a few that sort of show the overhang.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Francoise47. I hope you find some good information too.

Artemis78, I wouldn't be able to respectfully call myself TKO, if I didn't already have a fake cardboard counter! :) Alas, it's just not the same. I have a sample of my granite and I've been trying to tell from that as well. I've seen some gorgeous inset kitchens on here. I wonder if I should give a shout-out to some specific ones.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Macybaby! It's very helpful to see it. I like the 3/4" overhang. Your counters and backsplash are really beautiful!

• pence
    13 years ago

sorry, no pictures, but went with a full 1" on both the eased edge perimeter and the ogee edge island. My fabricator said this was their standard for inset cabinets. remember that the idea for an overhang is so that spills don't drip onto your cabinets...BY the way, my kitchen has been in for 5 years, I think I remember obssesing over this very detail as well, however, 5 years later it is not something that ever enters your mind again

• User
    13 years ago

Ours are 1 1/2" because that's how far a bread board extended, and we wanted to cover the top of it. Without that constraint, and if I had it to do again, I'd probably go with 1" (or maybe 3/4" for an ever-so-slightly cleaner look).

{{!gwi}}

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Pence. I do the same thing with most of these decisions.

Mnerg - Thank you for posting your photo. I love the way your counters look with your cabinets.

• OCJeff
    12 years ago

artemis78 - For frameless cabinets, is it 1.5 inches from the face of the cabinet, or the front of the cabinet door? The cabinet door is about 3/4" thick, so does that mean about 2.25" from the face of the cabinet?

• chisue
    12 years ago

I have inset cabinets w/eased edge granite countertops. Overhang is 1 1/4" on main portions and island work side; 1" on my desk and buffet. (The underside of granite isn't very pretty; anyone have that polished?)

Most of my granite corners are angled, saving me many a bruise.

• OCJeff
    12 years ago

Thanks buehl. That sounds right, but this project has me second guessing everything. I don't want to do too much overhang, since it will cut into isle width and fridge clearance.

I'll stick with 1.5", which is what our old counters were. I think too much overhang (even 2") would look too chunky (especially with the 2.25" counter edge height).

• Renee
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My fabricator told us standard on inset doors is 1/2" but they do often do 3/4" if a homeowner asks. They think either is fine. They did not suggest the full inch. But it's YOUR kitchen... do what you want!

Our cabinet maker who does custom cabinets for high end folks and works with designers all the time said they do inset cabinets with a 3/4" around the perimeter and 1" on the island. But my pulls protrude 1-5/8" out, so I'm leaning toward 1" all the way around.

• artemis78
    4 years ago

Frankly I have no recollection of this decision at all ten years later, but apparently we have been living with a 1" overhang on our inset cabinets for the last decade and I have no complaints--no issues at all. So I wouldn't hesitate to go that route if it makes sense for your pulls.