Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
handel27

Plan advice

handel27
16 years ago

Hi All,

newbie here on our 4th kitchen design revision. Our house burned up and so we get to redo everything from scratch. We're going for "contemporary hacienda" in an open plan 1920's Spanish revival. Here's the floorplan. Would love your input.

We're planning on a bluestar range, saltillo floors, a patina'd copper peninsula counter (maybe), and knotty douglas fir cabinets in a simple shaker style. drawers for pots and pans, verticals for baking sheets, pull out tall pantry.

Uppers will be combo of open shelving and cabinets. front panels of cabinets might get metal, like a mexican nail punched tin, fired copper, leaded glass, or stuff like that. we're going for handmade, beautiful as it ages. 30" counters, 15" uppers. we are active and accomplished cooks and want a functional, fun to cook in, working kitchen.

Haven't found a counter we like. Love soapstone but it might be too dark. Thinking about schist. Very open to ideas!!

this board is full of amazing thoughts. hopefully you can push a couple our way.

much obliged.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

You won't be able to stand at the sink and have the dishwasher open. The trash pullout might be almost as much of a problem. With corner sinks you pretty much always need a filler cabinet in between things you'll need to open fully while at the sink.

I think you might have to move the sink around to the approx where the trash pullout is, and probably push the dw down to the far end of the peninsula to make things comfortable for working. You could possibly also move the dw to the window wall, in between the sink and stove, and leave the peninsula for dish storage or put the trash there, depending on how you'd feel to have an open dishwasher in the midst of things.

Other than the sink location issue, it looks like you are getting a lot out of your limited space.

Sorry you had to go through having a house fire...I hope your 'redo' turns out better than ever.

• handel27
    Original Author
    16 years ago

figured out how to paste the image. I appreciate your comments.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

RHome's right about the main sink's cornor location being a problem with the DW and trash...

But that location would not be a problem for a prep sink. You could bury a prep sink in the corner with access from the peninsula side, then prep on your peninsula while visiting with family. Move the cleanup sink and DW down to the window, and put the range square on the wall.

Your design elements sound lovely, by the way. Very well suited to the house and hard to 'date'.

• bmorepanic
    16 years ago

I think the same interferance problem exists at the range.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

If you like the corner sink & range...

Switch the DW & Trash.

Move the Trash over to as close to the end of the peninsula as possible.

Put in a 12" cabinet b/w the Trash & the sink

Put in a 12" cabinet b/w the DW & the sink. After the DW, there's 48" for drawers, then a 9" pullout/cabinet, then corner range (36") w/42" hood, then a 9" pullout/cabinet, then 30" for drawers, them 24" SB for the prep sink, then the Pantry.

Cabinet/Drawer dimensions can vary, but essentially put a smaller cabinet on both sides of the corner sink and corner range and then whatever configuration you wish for the remaining space.

• bmorepanic
    16 years ago

We ain't got no hacienda style in the northeast so forgive if this is too modern. I'd be inclined to move the window and narrow the one doorway a bit.

Just as a reminder, for stools you need two feet of counter edge per person with 30" more comfy. I'm saying that because I couldn't figure out what the lines at the end of the peninsula meant.

{{!gwi}}

• handel27
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great advice folks. thanks so much. I immediately seized on the garbage/dw swap, even though it moves the garbage to a more remote location. I go back and forth about those spacer cabs around the sink buehl kindly suggested. I initially thought them necessary, then had occasion to stand in a HomeDepot kitchen that had the DW next to a corner sink and was surprised how unaffected I was.

I do have them in around the stove, but they are badly drawn. the corner range presents issues of space usage, especially when trying to line up with 30" counter depth.

I don't think moving the sink bmorepanic spot works. for one it's the farthest point from the DR (behind the peninsula) and second (and I forgot to mention this) that's a front picture window 10 feet from the street where people stroll every day and night. don't really want them looking at my dirty dishes ;-).

I have, however, toyed with the idea of flipping the sink and range, moving the prep sink to the peninsula. Does anyone think that it would be too far from the DR to lug dirty dishes and get clean ones???

the peninsula counter is about 6.5 ft, so long enough for 3.

Looked at a lot of stone this weekend, and kept getting drawn to soapstone. just so yummy. Just concerned that they may be too dark in a fairly dark room (not a lot of exposure).

thanks agin for all the advice.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I'm voting against the stove and sink swap. I think you'll barely be able to fit a prep sink, leaving no room for the food you're prepping. Also, it wouldn't be too nice for anyone at the peninsula with faucet and hood in their faces? And it would have the same problem you pointed out about Bmorepanic's plan concerning the distance from the dining area.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

If you stay w/the corner sink, I would prefer the trash on the peninsula where it's accessible from the DR as well as kitchen--unless you have a trash can in the DR, then it's not an issue. It is, however, farther from the side prep areas...so it's more a matter of preference, not superior functionality (just different functionality).

Re: Bmorepanic's window position...that's what window treatments are for! Back in the "old days" you saw a curtain on the bottom half and a valance on the top...this was to hide the dirty dishes from the outside (and give you some privacy) while letting the natural light in from the top!

To be honest, if your house is really that close to the street, I suggest window treatments no matter what is/is not in front of that window...you'll need them for the privacy.

How's this idea?

• sweeby
    16 years ago

One of my biggest 'things' in a kitchen is wanting to prep where people sit and visit. That's a big, big item on my 'gotta have' list. I hate having to work while facing a wall (or even window) with people sitting behind me...

If you work that way, or want to, then a plan that puts a sink or prep sink near the peninsula is the way to go. The plans that put the prep sink down by the wall would have you working with your back to the action during every phase but clean-up...

Bmorepanic's plan is the way I would want to work --

• handel27
    Original Author
    15 years ago

had another meeting with my designer last night, and he came back with a new drawing that was substantially similar to buehl's last one.

you folk are all great.