Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leather or fabric--please help me decide

Posted by sayde (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 6:58

My kitchen has been done for two years (!) but I still read and post here, and have so many kitchen buddies here that I thought I would come here for help. (I also did post in Home Decorating).

Please help me decide -- leather or fabric chair for my sunroom.

Here's the situation: we have an eight year old leather loveseat Wonderful, but terrible faded now. The leather is a lovely semi aniline which turned out to be just a terrible choice for a sunroom. How could I have done this? This kind of leather cannot be brought back to where it was because of the coating. It can only be sprayed and turned into a pigmented leather, and this I do not want to do. Right now it is still soft, and kind of shabby chic -- but, really quite faded.

So, we want to replace the old uncomfortable wicker chair.

I can get a new leather chair/ottoman in exactly the same leather as the love seat. Crazy? It would be much much darker at first, but would fade. But in the meantime it would make the loveseat look, I'm afraid, not shabby chic but simply trashed. And, it might be too much leather, match-matchy.

Or I can get a fabric club chair/ottoman, maybe something slipcovered in a light fabric (like the shades) -- with extra slipcovers --

The leather chair would be prettier but the fabric might be a better choice in the context of the rest of the room -- what do you think?

Of course DH wants leather. All men want leather and wood (and we already have lots of both)

Both options would be comfortable so that is not the issue.

Please help me decide . . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leather or fabric--please help me decide

Hi Sayde, I love your sunroom with all those plants! IMHO, a fabric chair would look great in there. You could also consider a leather and fabric chair like this:

o

im not a matchy-matchy person...that being said,
my vote - fabric

o

I vote for fabric. Your room is gorgeous!!

o

I vote fabric as well, I think you need to bring some pattern or color in there, rather than matching the love seat. Of course, I base that entirely on that one picture. Other views may lead me to think differently.

o

Fabric, something textured and cozy to sit on, although remember that fabric fades, too.

I never thought the loveseat looked shabby. Isn't leather better as it gets older?

o

Heavy leather is the wrong vibe for the sunroom. You don't get that much sunlight to start with where you live, so why suck it out of the room where you can best enjoy it?

Pick something made for sun. Sunbrella has lots of fabric choices now, though you sometimes have to hunt for them across multiple retail places.

o

I second the idea of Sunbrella. We have some pieces in our sunniest room and it wears so well.

o

A third vote for Sunbrella. They seem to have more fabric color and texture choices now than in years past. Your sunroom is beautiful!

o

My vote is for fabric as well! It is quite a lovely room!

o

I love your room! The chair posted with the combination of leather and fabric seems like a good idea. If not that, I'd go with a fabric also.

o

I vote fabric as well! Something you love that is very comfy!

o

I almost bought Sunbrella fabric for my living room sofa ( I have two teenage boys and a tween girl). I found a great site to order from and they were great about sending samples etc. I'm hesitant to share the website on the forum because my post might get deleted. I think, one of my postings was deleted a couple of days ago because I posted the name of a website that sells the most gorgeous mother of pearl tiles. I am in no way affiliated with them just wanted to share. Oh well!

o

Another vote for Sunbrella. (This is sunbrella from Ball*** Des**ns.) Lovely room!
Y photo OB-sayde_zps35af57a1.jpg

o

Thanks so much for all the input! I real appreciate it! Sunbrella is a good idea -- I was even thinking of may-be a dark upholstered chair with a set of off-white Sunbrella for summer.

I feel better already -- you guys are all so great! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here