Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebse_gw

Costa Smeralda

ebse
15 years ago

Has anyone used this in a kitchen with off white cabs? We will have wood floors with natural finish and brookhaven cabs in arctic white, and I saw this and fell in love. The problem--the cost! If you have it, what did you end up paying per sq ft, installed?

Does it help to shop around, or will I find consistent prices from different suppliers?

Comments (12)

• positano
    15 years ago

I have Costa Esmeralda with creamy cabs(very similar to BM linen white). I love it! I know it's usually very expensive. For some reason mine was not. I payed $4500 for 60sf or $75 a sf.

If the CS in your area is expensive, take a look at Coast Green. Sometimes it's very similar for less money.

My CE has been bulletproof, doesn't show fingerprints and it's hard to see the crumbs!!

Here are some pictures. You can click on the photos to see more. Kitchen is still not finished,hopefully soon!

From Drop Box
    {{!gwi}}From march 2009
    {{!gwi}}From march 2009

• jb1176
    15 years ago

We covet Costa Smeralda or Costa Esmeralda and hope to use it on honey oak cabinets and white appliances. I know the slabs are usually not very long so we will have more seams than we would otherwise like to have. I have also heard that CE is prone to rust stains but those can be limited or avoided with multiple treatments of sealer. Our trim work - baseboards, ceilings, french doors, door frames are also in BM Linen White, but the cabinets will remain traditional honey oak. I think it will look nice.

We would love to hear from others who have installed CE to hear their experiences with this beautiful rock.

Positano - your pictures are great! You have a beautiful kitchen. Did you use a pencil edge on your CE?

Everyone - please share more about Costa Smeralda or Costa Esmeralda.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

There are several CE lovers here. I am putting it in my kitchen with white white cabinets. I can't wait!

• positano
    15 years ago

JB1176- I've had no problems with rust stains, the fabricator sealed the granite when it was installed.
    And yes, it's a pencil edge. You'll love the CE. Good luck!

And Kelleg I can't wait to see your kitchen.

• gglks
    15 years ago

i am one of the ce lovers here also!!!! my heart just skipped a beat because i have no idea what you are talking about when you say "rust stains", nor has anyone mentioned them to me. can someone explain???????

as far as the look, maintenance etc, i love my ce. i've had no problems and it is always commented on when people see it. they aren't sure if it is granite, marble or soapstone. very cool!!!!!

mine was higher priced where i live (rochester ny) but we made it work. it was one thing i just couldn't give up. so i looked for deals on other things. here are a few pics of my kitchen (which positano and kelleg have seen NUMEROUS times!!!!) but i don't really have a good close up of the ce. one also shows our island which is darker wood so you can see the ce with wood too....

• joann23456
    15 years ago

I love Costa Smeralda but just couldn't afford it. The quotes I got (Boston area) from four different fabricators were all in the neighborhood of $140-$150/square foot installed, with a simple (no-upcharge) edge.

It's unbelievably beautiful, though, and I wish it had been doable for us.

• jb1176
    15 years ago

I could have CE mixed up with another stone, but I thought that without careful sealing CE may show rust spots due to the minerals in the stone. I think these rust spots come from water soaking into the stone. However, I understand that sealing prevents this problem. Here's where others who know a lot more about this stone may be able to correct me. JB

• jb1176
    15 years ago

Just remembered where I read about rust spots - Tom Cordova's Rock Blog. A Google search using "rust spots and Costa Esmeralda granite" will pick up several threads discussing the issue. Evidently the small mica and iron particles in the stone are prone to rust without proper sealing. JB

• ebse
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I love your kitchen, it is stunning. Hopefully we can find it at a price that we can live with.

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Stunning.

You found a perfect match Postiano.
    And GGLKS, Yours looks more gray. Lovely. But am I
    being mislead by my pc. Is it more gray than green?

I visited a granite exchange this past weekend.
    The CE looked like it had peach and light pink colors.
    Is this possible? I am new to CE.

They had several slabs. One was honed, one had a flat
    finish on it and another a leather look. They would
    be perfect in our bathroom but not our kitchen.
    I am also in the Boston area. I did not realize the price
    was so high. I guess it is a good thing that it won't
    match my kitchen. Maybe by the time I am ready to do
    the master bath I can afford it. :)

• gglks
    15 years ago

these slabs do tend to vary. i have seen some with more of an olive coloring and also very dark veining. mine is much more gray than green and has more light veining.

if you are really interested, i would visit a few different granite places to look at their slabs and see with your own two eyes!!!

• joann23456
    15 years ago

Boxerpups, I went to the Boston Granite Exchange in Haverhill to look at stone, and they had both Costa Smeralda and Costa Smeralda __________ (peach?), that had the pinky-peach look you mentioned. I forget the actual name.

I've noticed that the slabs vary from gray to greenish gray to really green, too. I love the ones that are green with a gray cast to them.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus