Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can i paint my hinges?

Posted by scrapinsal (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 08 at 6:27

the backstory: 80's oak, painted cream with glaze. face frame cab with 1/2" overlay.

I want: dark hardware, maybe an orb or aged copper.

Problems:
1.The only dark hinge i can find (amerock maybe?) is very shiny and has copper areas (that are too bright) showing through.

2.i don't want black

3.i dont want a european concealed hinge for various reasons. (the stiles are too small for the big 35mm cup, the mini size ones only open 90degrees, etc)

The questions:
1. should i use the dark hinges that are too shiny even if they dont quite match the handles i choose?

2. does anyone ever use antique brass hardware? i've seen some with a darker, more aged finish that are kinda nice.

3. can my old antique brass hinges be painted? if so, how and with what products? any pics would be appreciated

thanx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i paint my hinges?

Yes, it's easy really. We painted black wrought iron hinges in a bronzey color. Just wash them well in spic and span first to get the grease off. We used a primer and then a spray paint. First one side, then the other.

o

I painted mine many times. Use the paint for metals. Have you tried some steel wool to rub off some of the shine off the ones you like?

o

I've used the hammered metal finish spray paint on a few things but not hinges. It's pretty cool stuff and really gives a texture to the piece. I'm thinking of suggesting my in-laws use it on their tacky old brass hinges to match their gunmetal knobs. Hmm, how do I tactfully suggest it?

o

I used the hammered metal paint on my hinges. It holds up great.

o

Ah, relief!!! When I read the subject line, I was thinking you meant could you just paint the hinges while in the midst of painting the cabinets (while still on the hinges) the same color as the cabinets and I was going to say "In the name of all that is holy, NO!" Again a sigh of relief, pardon for my moment of stupidity. Oh wait a minute, it hasn't been just a moment it has been all day! You may go ahead and proceed to paint your hinges!!!! :)

o

You're not supposed to do that LP? Because I'm busy with a new kitchen and that seems to be what the PO thought was best....heh heh (thank god the cabinets were scratched from any usable future!) What a mess...latex paint...and it's on the door hinges as well...that I have to take of myself :(

o

I was thinking the same thing as LP, and then remembered I just faux finished my door hinges in ORB! They look great, and I also spray Urethaned them in a satin finish.

I stripped the lovely solid brass hinges first, and once the layers of yucky old paint were off, they actually looked pretty good, just not the look I was going for.

Wal Mart has about the best prices on spray paint I could find.

o

My dad painted all of our cabinet hinges in the hallway with a stainless steel looking Rustoleum spray paint and it looks pretty good. It doesn't seem to be wearing off either. Good luck!

o

thanks so much for the replies.
LP, thanks for the chuckle. off to purchase spray paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here