Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missykdiy

What color goes good with Saltillo tile flooring?

missykdiy
14 years ago

Our home has saltillo tile flooring in the kitchen and family room. I LOVE white kitchen cabinets but the burnt orange tile makes my kitchen look like a cheap fast food restaurant.

I'm looking for colors for the cabinets, walls and countertop suggestions. I don't have much of a budget, otherwise i would just tear out the tile completely. I'll probably go for laminate countertops or tile. I plan on adding molding (shaker style) to the cabinet doors and adding new hardware.

I really need cabinet color suggestions and wall color. its a dark kitchen with one tiny window. I was thinking a pale green color or perhaps an off white color for the cabinets and i'm not sure on the walls.

here is a pic of what the looks like:

Inspirational kitchens(only in my dreams):{{!gwi}}

Comments (15)

• missykdiy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forgot to mention that I will be doing a beadboard backsplash.

The kitchen is really old. I just want it to be halfway presentable. We are slowing fixing up a 70's style home.

I was looking at bm grecian green or paris rain.
    thanks,
    Melissa

• User
    14 years ago

I don't see why the white would not work with the beautiful floor. Maybe once you add the moldings and finishings to the cabinets they will look less cheap to you? I honestly don't see a problem with white cabinets and your floor, but maybe a solution would be some sort of glazing over the white - like a fairly subtle glazing? SOmeone on here had saltillo tiles and a white kitchen and it looked outstanding. (maybe it was not white white though- not sure. ) Hopefully someone else with a better memory or more obsessed than I will chime in so you can see how great it looked.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

What color goes good with Saltillo tile flooring?

Ummmm..... Tequilla? :-)

• cherigw
    14 years ago

i don't know how to add a link, but look for Reno_Fan. She did a complete reno of a kitchen with saltillo. . . .delicious!!

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

I love the look of Saltillos. I had them in another house (octagon and dot). They were hard on my feet, but I still love how they look. You can do a whitewash on them, but in those days at least, that didn't wear well. I consider them fairly neutral and organic looking. Search for renofan in this forum for some ideas. She used yellow and blue. Caribbean colors, Mediterranean colors, peaches and pinks (they do not have to be sugary), greens, corals, some reds, creams, etc. This link may give you some color ideas. (I do not know anything about this vendor; I just googled "Saltillo.")

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile

• User
    14 years ago

Here's renofan's saltillo kitchen. The before has white cabinets and the after has creamy yellow. Although I loved both of her kitchens, the pale yellow one is particularly stunning.

Here is a link that might be useful: reno's saltillo floor kitchen

• Jean Farrell
    14 years ago

We have Saltillo floors that we just installed. We have off-white perimeter cabinets and natural cherry island. I'll post a few pictures for you. We pained our walls and grayish-green, wish I could remember the color, it looks very nice with the floors.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Love your inspiration photos and the gorgeous saltillo kitchens here! I have a saltillo-lookalike porcelain tile floor. (My floor is probably on the red side with less of the orange/peach tones). I think a creamy white cab color would look gorgeous with the tile. That was something I'd planned to do if I'd stayed in my house. My paint color is Valspar (Lowe's) Epic which reads khaki or earthy green or taupe depending on the light. It's a great warm, interesting neutral. A couple of photos (sorry for the poor quality...they're from the phone). It's an overcast day so little natural light. First shows wall color with floor. Second photo shows wall color with white.

• missykdiy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! those photos of saltillo tile kitchens are amazing! I've always loved saltillo tile flooring. The guy who installed them did an amazing job. I just expected them to be darker for some reason.

I'm gonna try the cream cabinets instead of pale green. Any cream suggestions?

• lonni_mcd
    14 years ago

We did saltillo floors in our last home. I hand stained them to be a bit darker and paired them with cream painted cabinets with an espresso glaze. We loved the look and feel. Best of luck!

• ella_socal
    14 years ago

I found this picture in my folder. That specific cabinet color would probably drive me nuts, but the overall scheme is nice.

• shipshape
    14 years ago

GREEN, white, yellow, beige, tan

• Suzanne K
    6 years ago

Jean Farrell,

Would you give some information on your granite counter top?

Thanks,

Suzanne

• Julie Vinsant
    5 years ago
    Hey HU-465421254, you’re quite the jerk!