Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldryder

Guest chefs and Quartz Countertops - WARNING

I am a fabricator.

It happened again so I thought I share this as a warning to others.

Got a call from a customer that selected a quartz surface for her countertops. Her sister, an accomplished chef, was visiting and damaged my customers countertop by placing a hot pan on the counter. The chef sister has granite at her home and is used to putting items from the stove and oven anywhere she wants.

Damaging a quartz countertop with heat is a rare event (we've had about a dozen incidents in 12 years and several thousand jobs) but it's usually a situation just like the one described above where a guest in the kitchen does the damage.

Comments (10)

• Hellion
    11 years ago

I just had a silestone countertop installed- this is a quartz, correct?

• taggie
    11 years ago

There was a frequent poster (was it KevinMP?) who recently posted that he cracked his granite in a similar way by putting a hot pot on it. Bottom line, granite and quartz can crack if hot things are placed directly on it with no trivets. Rare, but possible.

It's one thing to crack your own countertops, but honestly I think it takes a special kind of cluelessness to do this as a guest in someone else's home. I wouldn't dream of setting a hot pans on someone else's countertops. Crazy.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

If she is a chef that works in a restaurant she is also probably used to cooking at much higher heat than the typical home cook.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I gotta ask.
    What's she going to do about it? Pay for the repair? Replacement?
    I'll bet the kitchen owner is absolutely sick.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We're going to try a repair. It's a 2 year old install so we will be billing her. I don't know who will be paying. unfortunately when a quartz top is heat damaged it's because the resin is burnt so it's not repairable like a scratch or even a crack in granite.

Usually the burnt area, which often looks like a crescent moon, is so large that any attempt to grind it and repolish it is doomed to failure.

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

If that repair doesn't work, what's her other options? Just have to replace the entire counter?

Wonder how hot is too hot. I try to be careful, but should we basically treat it like laminate?

• Gracie
    11 years ago

If it's in the reflection from a light source, she'll see the repair. My quartz was dulled on install by BarKeeper's Friend. The fabricator took a 5 hour class from Caesarstone to learn how to polish out the surface. After 2 1/2 hours of using various polishing tools and compounds, it just spread the dulled area into a bigger circle. They replaced my countertop.

Does the customer know she won't get a pristine surface and it could make it worse?

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cust knows a repair effort is unlikely to succeed. We have been successful on lighter colors. You can bring the polish back but in my experience the worked area will always show if the lighting is right. Occasionally the lighting is such that the worked area doesn't show. usually you end up replacing the top which can get REAL expensive if the damaged piece is seamed to other piece(s). A replacement part is almost guaranteed to have a slight color difference that would show at the seam.

you could have two pieces that are VERY close in color but that difference will show if the pieces are seamed together.

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

Annoying double post

This post was edited by lovetodream on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 14:22