Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janjan212

What are people putting in for faucets these days?

janjan212
12 years ago

So, if you've read any of my recent posts, you know I am doing a minor budget update. I had planned a dream kitchen for years, so it's hard to cheap out on some things I have longed for over the long road to this point. It seems I have to compromise on most things, even the things I THOUGHT I was already compromising on. Example: I have always wanted a farm sink. My cabinet is too small. So, I decided on an undermount single bowl Blanco silgranite. Those are either too big or too small for my corner cabinet. I changed to a 30" fireclay, only to find out it was a budget buster with about a thousand dollar price tag. Finally, Today I ordered a 30" single bowl stainless sink by Kraus that gets rave reviews. It was about 225.00 dollars. I'm excited to get it. I'm now moving on to faucets. This is where it gets a little tricky. I have, for years dealt with sucky faucets. While I don't want to spend a fortune, I want to get one that is built to last and looks nice without getting into the Waterstone's etc that, once again, put me over the 1k mark.

I did a search and came up with some older threads, One of the Kohler's was very popular. Vinnetta? Anyway, since that was a few years ago, I was wondering what reasonable faucets people like these days. I get overwhelmed when I go to the websites, so I thought I would start with some opinions here.I'd like to keep it under (or around) 300, for an under mount sink, single faucet. I want to hopefully have a soap and lotion dispenser. I am a lotion freak....if my hands get wet, they get dried off then lotion applied....a dispenser eliminates the need for lotion bottles on the counter.

Any suggestions?

Comments (25)

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

Delta makes a variety of nice faucets and are budget friendly. Some have touch technology, which is really neat!

We have Brizo faucets, which is Delta's higher end and are very happy with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen faucets

• cottonpenny
    12 years ago

My taste tends a little more modern...I wanted a really cool looking Kohler, but had to cut the budget somewhere.

I bought 2 Hansgrohe faucets from Costco. They are called Metro. They seem good quality and were $150 each which is a bargain compared to the price of very similar Hansgrohe faucets.

My mom bought the more traditional looking Allegro E, also from Costco. I think hers was $199.

• iroll_gw
    12 years ago

I love my Kohler Forte so much, I had one in my old sink, and bought a new one (with a different finish) for the new one. Plus, the line has a lot of different options.

• janjan212
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know it's nearly impossible to find something with all positive reviews (except possibly the sink I bought yesterday) but It seems I read glowing reviews and really start to consider one, then come the bad reviews. I saw a couple of Brizo's that I thought looked great in the showroom last weekend, then the sales lady acted a little ho-hum about them. She didn;t seem to favor their Delta line, then told me that Brizo's were alright, but they were Delta's high end line. My impression was (could be totally off base) not to spend the extra money on them. The one's we saw were in the 600 dollar range....but I've seem pretty good reviews on them online. I liked the look of the Allegro E from Costco, but several reviews said it was not user friendly.... I looked up Kohler Forte, and found a line. I haven't looked into the individual faucets yet. Thanks for the responses so far ...looking forward to more! Any opinions on Kraus faucets? That's the brand sink I bought, seems many are in my price range too......

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Waterstone!
    I haven't seen a negative review!

• poohpup
    12 years ago

Another Waterstone owner here. Love the look. Love the quality. Love the huge choice of finishes.

This week water was hooked up and I now have two sinks with running water in my kitchen. YIPPEE!!

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

Happy with my Moens here.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

1 handle or 2? pull out/pull down? side sprayer? other things to consider are the total height of the faucet, the spout hght and reach. (recent threads on those)

taking into consideration my height, that of a faucet and the spout hght/reach I'm down to a Kohler K-10430 (forte) or the Danze D409012. They are both 200-250.00 depending on where I end up buying.

I also limited myself to extremely simple lines - less cleaning I'm hoping. (less groves/curves etc)

• slonewby
    12 years ago

Moen....lifetime warranty, built to last...usually in the $200-$240 range

• janjan212
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm reviewing them all. We are going to go out tomorrow for the touchy-feely visit, but I wanted to have some ones in mind to look for that I already know have positive reviews.

Naively I have not given much consideration to all the points desertsteph brings up. I have been concerned mainly with quality, appearance and price. I do know I we are mainly interested in 1 handle and a pull down model.

I'm short (5'2") and we will have an undermount sink that will be about 10" deep. From there, I don't really know how to tell what works best. I will have to track down those other threads.

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

Is your sink 10" including the counter thickness, or is that the depth of the sink by itself? I'd recommend testing one out if you can before you commit; a sink that deep would hurt my back, especially if it's actually 11.5" deep once undermounted. But everyone has a different preference with this and it depends on your torso length, arm reach, counter height and dishwashing habits. (I hand wash some things every day, so I use my sink differently than someone who puts everything into the DW.) I doubt you will have trouble with splashing with a sink that deep, and you will have many many choices of single-handle pull-down faucets. Have fun with the hunt! And don't choke when you see how giant they all look. :) (They look EVEN BIGGER once you get them home. lol. But now that our kitchen is redone and our faucet has more breathing room and a big new sink to sit on, it looks like it belongs.)

• janjan212
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The sink is 10" deep (before undermount) and is otherwise 30x18 It's a corner cabinet so we will have plenty of space behind the faucet. If I got one with a 8" reach, then I would need to add in the additional sink depth (making 18) to know that my faucet head would reach to the bottom of the sink...is that how it works?

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

I also got my Hansgrohe high arc Metro kitchen faucet from Costco for $158. I love it more than the Grohe in my kitchen that was $400 on extreme discount from online dealer.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

janjan: No, the reach is the horizontal distance between the faucet base and the faucet head. I.e., how far does the faucet "reach" laterally.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Northcarolina: And don't choke when you see how giant they all look. :) (They look EVEN BIGGER once you get them home. lol. But now that our kitchen is redone and our faucet has more breathing room and a big new sink to sit on, it looks like it belongs.)

No kidding. Initially I regretted getting my Hansgrohe which looked like the Loch Ness Monster in my small kitchen. I'm over that now. It's well made and now looks great.

• janjan212
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the advise. I'm choking on this decision so far. I sent DH a link to an article on Atticmag that Rococogurl posted about things to consider when picking a faucet....It covers height, reach etc. I'm letting him take the wheel for that part. Hopefully considering all those things he can narrow down some choices.

I have only seen one working faucet in the displays (that I recall)....it was a Brizo Talo Touch2o. I liked it....alot. It was a little touchy, it came on a few times when I wasn't expecting it to, but it might be a learning curve. I didn't like the price though, and while it was really cool to be able to tap your elbow or forearm on the faucet to avoid getting chicken-y fingers etc. on the handles, my hubby is on the fence.....he is thinking it's a lot of extra money for something we have done without just fine before.

Our latest trip to the plumbing store we were checking out some Delta's and the Sales person steered us over to the Grohe. Said they were having a fantastic sale on them (40% off retail) and they were a MUCH higher quality faucet than Delta. Looked online when we got home, seemed every site I visited had a deal on Grohe, so they must be clearing out old ones, or are one of those companies that over inflates their value to have them on sale all the time...... Looked at the Grohe Bridgeport (I think) but it didn't have a hold and lock feature on the spray. Not sure that's a big deal though. I'd buy that Talo or similar Brizo if I could find it on sale and if I could find more positive reviews. I keep reading they are not much better than Delta, just a beefed up price tag. I've read several people satisfied with their Delta's but read probably an equal amount of negative about them. Costco is out of the one Hansgrohe that I considered looking at....

Guess I will keep looking and considering.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

If you like the look of the Grohe Bridgeport, but want the hold and lock feature, you could consider the Whitehaus Metrohaus 591. I learned about it here and really like it! It has a slightly larger reach than many of the others without being really tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitehaus Metrohaus

• ellabee_2016
    11 years ago

The 'touch' feature on the Delta/Brizo faucets might be a gimmick for some users, but I find it a real advance.

You can get the water to the desired pressure and temp mix, then turn it on only when actually needed. This would actually save $ for those paying water bills (we're in the country with a well). There's no need to hold down a button when spraying.

Given that this is a major part of your kitchen update, and if you will be working at the sink significantly more than your SO, take a deep breath and stay involved. Get what will really suit you, not what salespeople push.

• janjan212
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Angie, that does look like the Grohe!. As you already know I am talking myself into the Brizo. I agree with ellebee in that I think the touch feature, if it works as it should, would be a great feature.

• redroze
    11 years ago

Not sure if 2008 qualifies as "these days" but it's fairly in the present. :-) I love my Danze Opulence faucet. It's got a high end look but it was super cheap.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• catlover5
    11 years ago

Redroze, your faucet is one I am considering although DH prefers 2 handles, I like 1 handle. How is the clearance to the back wall? What granite is that? It is so beautiful. Thanks.

• gwynnie8
    11 years ago

I am literally going crazy trying to decide on a faucet. We're getting a 30 " (10" deep) soapstone sink and I originally wanted a bridge-type faucet but am thinking now I'd like a single hole to make things look simpler. I do want a sprayer but again, that would require a 2nd hole. Many of the pull downs are great (but I've looked at so many, I'm numb) but they tend to look more modern/contemporary and I wanted to keep a more farmhouse/cottage, even Victorian look. Also, I have been lokking online and not in person which I know isn't too smart! Anyone have a fav pull down, single hole that has a good, solid retractable sprayer? I'm resigning myself to that style and abandoning the bridge look (will I regret it??) - I also wanted to stay with getting a Home Depot brand so I can include it in the Project Loan. I need help!

• davidro1
    11 years ago

single hole pull-down at Home Depot: it will be a single handle mixer, imho. Try hansgrohe.com or http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/ It won't look Victorian but that is the one OK compromise you have to make.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Check out the Moen Annabelle or Woodmere:

Annabelle:

Woodmere:

• kaysd
    11 years ago

I guess it is old news now, but we loved the looks and function of our Kohler Vinnata in the last house. If we were doing another transitional or traditional kitchen, I would use it again in a heart beat. I am having a very hard time coming up with a modern looking faucet that is not totally plain and performs as well as the Vinnata.