Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sink Lighting

Posted by miruca (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 3:15

Where oh where should sink lighting go? I've seen this item buried in other threads - but I have a need for a specific focus that hopefully will put the comments in one place ... so I can assess what to do by tomorrow!

We are using 4" Cree recessed lights.

There seems to be two options - a) the traditional centered over the sink light, or b) a light to either side of the sink.

Currently, I have lights to "either side of the 30" sink base. There are four lights 12" from wall and 36" apart (from center of light to center of light). There are no upper cabinets in this area.

Although I read about the "either side" approach, I've never seen it so I wonder whether it will provide enough direct light over the sink. Does anyone have this arrangement and could you post a picture?

OR should I stick to the traditional one directly over the sink ... if so, then do you have suggestions for laying out the lights as it changes the symmetry ( or the coverage if say 3 instead of 4 lights are used)

photo kitchenlights_zps7b7f30a1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sink Lighting

Personally I like one directly over the sink. I suppose with flood lights on each side you'd get overlapping and possibly have enough, but I like bright DIRECT lighting over my sink. sometimes this light and the undercab lights are all I have on. Even in the day time I want that extra light, when it may not be necessary to burn all my other can lights.

o

You want one directly over the sink. How that changes your layout is that instead of the light on the right being over the sink run, it should be in line with the ones on the range run. It barely changes it's position. You also need more light on the range run. Another recessed in front of the cabinet to the right of the range. Figure out the projection of your crown molding, and place it an inch or two in front of where the crown hits the ceiling.

You also want more than just 4 in the dining area. And only 2 over the island isn't enough either. If that is supposed to be the primary prep zone, you'll need a lot more light. Maybe some pendants, or a chandelier that coordinates with the one in the DR.

o

Thanks. Sounds like direct over the sink is the way to go.

I would think that the island is getting light from all three rows of lights - not just the two directly over it.

Right now there at 14 lights in this 14 x 13'6" area - which is greater than the recommended 35 lumens per square foot -so I would consider reconfiguring but probably not adding more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here