Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertsteph

How far out should the faucet extend over the sink?

desertsteph
14 years ago

most sinks i'm looking at are about 22" in width (front to back). I've looked at a few that are about 20".

I'm not looking at real tall f*aucets - about 12" would be my limit I think. then there's the measurement from the back edge out over the sink... does it make a big difference? I've seen one I like that was 7+" ... and one that is 10+"...

Comments (27)

• mailfox7
    14 years ago

Yes! We got a 7" for the prep sink thinking it was a smaller sink, and followed the recomendation of the supply store. We ended up replacing the neck (fortunately, it was an easy fix) with the 9" faucet neck. It just splashed onto the sink too much! Not enough room. Maybe it wouldn't matter if your faucet were mounted on the sink (self rimming), but ours was mounted on the deck at an angle.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Its nice if the faucet is centered over the drain, or at least hits the drain, whereever that is on your sink.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I'm not sure if sink material makes a difference or not. I had a cast iron before and now have silgranit, and haven't experienced splashing just from the water hitting the sink. The water stream doesn't hit the drain directly in either sink.

I would think that the shorter faucet would also have less of an issue with splashing.

That's just an inexperienced opinion though. I don't think it's always possible to get the faucet you want to hit the drain in the sink you want, unless you specifically choose one based on the other.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

What weedmeister said. As long as the water hits the drain you will be OK.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

My prep sink faucet hit the drain and splashed all over the place. We went to a longer reach. The drain probably works only if you have a center drain and don't have an Evolution disposer (the drain cover has a different shape with larger folds and will splash more if the water is not hitting the exact center hole, but they are quieter). My large sink has a center rear drain and the faucet hits well in front of it -- no splashing.

Think about where you want your hands to be when you are washing, rinsing or filling a glass. You don't want to have to reach too far back or your back, arms or neck may strain. It will also mean that you have a hard time washing larger items without hitting the faucet or back of the sink and that water will splash out the back. You don't want it too near the front or the water splash or over run on a pot, etc. will be on you.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

It is also imprtant to look at the angle the water will flow. My new faucet had the same dimensions as my Delta, however, the Delta angled the water toward the front of hte sink when I turned it on, but my Danze shoots the water straight down. My drain is centered, and the water from my Danze hits behind the drain. Muscle memory has kicked in and I'm fine now, but in the beginning--whew.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow. so much to think about just for a f*aucet! who knew...
    I know I don't want a really tall f* aucet - but tall enough to fill a m*easuring cup or glass under it without putting it down into the sink very far.

it sounds like I should pick out my sink first. I have a few options on that - then the f*aucet. most of the sinks seem to have a center drain. I also have a few f*aucets picked out (so I have options if one doesn't work out at the last minute). I guess i'd better make sure that I have a few different 'reach over the sink' lengths in my options. I think I'll check those I've picked out and try to have a 7", about 10" and about 12" in 'reach over'.

the sink will be self rimming - I want one with a platform built into it for the faucet rather than the faucet behind it on the counter top.

I don't know how one would know the angle the water falls at until it's been hookup tho.

• davidro1
    14 years ago

ditto.

I've seen splashing when the stream goes straight into the drain.
    Methinks there has to be a better way.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that's a lot to coordinate! but I'll sit here and look up more online spec sheets for a few faucets this weekend. and get those numbers on my 'faucet doc' then when I decide on a sink - I'll check it's specs against the ones for the faucets and see what will match up.

my water pressure isn't real forceful... that might change tho in the new place. it isn't on city water - I have a pump outside and a water tank.

I won't be having a very deep sink either. the one I have now is only about 5.5" deep and it works fine for me. one or 2 I've looked up were 7.5 or 8" deep so I'll probably go with one of those. does being shallow help the splashing? or increase it?

• idrive65
    14 years ago

Ideally, the flow of water from the faucet should go down the drain.

Why? Honest question, what is "ideal" about this, instead of hitting the basin of the sink? I've had both.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

desertsteph - if you're going with a sink of that depth then I'd suggest a faucet with relatively low spout height.

idrive -- it's a refinement at worst and a ricochet preventer at best. Some faucets are fine hitting the sink; some aren't. It's really variable too but, f.ex. I have a KWC pulldown and a really deep sink (nearly 12" below countertop). KWC is a brand with adjustable water flow but if it's not dialed down it can be a firehose. We have super high water pressure -- so much so that the faucet hose will retract by itself when the water is turned on. At full force it also splashes so far up from the 12" deep sink that it can land on the floor. Fortunately, the faucet is lined up perfectly over the drain so I can run water full tilt for the disposer and get a great spray action to clean down monster PITA ss sink.

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

My countertop will be installed on Wed. They will make the hole for the faucet on site.
    It is a ticor "D" shape sink and a Grohe K4 faucet. Has anyone else installed these 2 with the faucet offset on the right side? Looking for a recommendation on faucet placement. The specs mention 3 1/8" needed from the back wall.

Yes I am cheating because I am pretty sure I will not be able to make the best choice based on reviewing the specs.....

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

If the specs say 3-1/8 is needed from the back wall that's the clearance needed for the faucet to operate properly. No one can give you a good opinion without the specs. Watch the faucet swivel as D sinks are narrow.

• sayde
    14 years ago

If you have a 30 inch Rohl fireclay the drain is off center. If you have a bridge faucet, installed at the centeline of the sink, should the faucet line up so that when it swivels over the offset drain, the water goes straight down into it? In the neutral foreward facing position, though, the spout will not be over the drain --how much of a problem is this?

Thanks all for alerting me to these concerns . . .

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

Here is a rough drawing of the sink and where I thought I could place the faucet.

Perhaps 2 inches from the straight edge will work better????

Please review!

Thank you very much

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the comments on this topic, rococogurl.

As so often these days, I did not know what I did not know!
    This subject was not even on my radar!!!

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Glad to help. Where's the spec sheet for the sink? Both are needed so you can be sure -- it's different with undermount and drop in. Can you post the sink spec sheet (should be on mfgr website)?

From the center of the sink faucet post to the center of the spout it shows 9-1/8 inches (fairly standard). Sink spec sheet will show where the drain is exactly and you will know right away where to place the faucet.

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

rococogurl, Thank you

Here are the sink specs.

The only thing I cannot be positive about is if I have a 9 or 10 inch depth. (Cannot go to the garage, have to go to work now....)
    It is an undermount install.

Description
    Exterior Dimensions: 22-1/2" x 17-1/2"
    Interior Dimensions: 20-1/2" x 15-1/2"
    Basin Depth: 10"
    Bowl Ratio:
    Drain Opening:3-1/2" Standard
    Material: High Quality 18/10 Chromium/Nickel Stainless Steel
    Sink Gauge: 16-Gauge
    Finish: Brushed Bowl and Polished Rim
    Minimum Sink Base Cabinet Required:23"
    DXF File :S405

Here is a link that might be useful: Ticor spec page

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I'm getting a bit picky here but bear with me. Ticor does not give a spec drawing but no problem if you have the sink.

When you get home, measure from the center of the drain to the back wall and across the center to each side. Then it's easy to figure out where to place the faucet exactly.

Also take a quick look at the Grohe link below so you understand how the water looks when it comes out in the spray mode -- it's a bit wider than the stream mode. This is not a difficult adjustment -- you just want to understand it well enough to get the counter guys to work with you on the placement before they drill.

D sinks often have corner placements. It looks like the lever works side to side and that it's installed facing front so clearance shouldn't unless you're in a corner or some tight space.

From the spec sheet you linked it says your sink is 10" deep. But Ticor is a couple of sandwiches short of a full -spec picnic and no contact phone number. Sheeesh. But no worries, you have the sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet spread

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

rococogurl Thank you very much!

And thank you desertstep for posting this question. Also my apologies that I seem to have made this post all about "Me" now!!!

Sink is 9 inches deep.
    Here are my sink drain measurements, drain is centered from left to right but is much closer to the back:

11 3/4 inches outside rim to faucet center (from left and right)
    10 1/4 inches inside rim to faucet center (from left and right)

7 1/2 inches outside rim to faucet center (from back)
    6 1/2 inches inside rim to faucet center (from back)

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Not following your measurements. These may help. With yours, the distance to the center of the drain will be more of a diagonal since you're putting your faucet off to the side. Height of faucet and depth of sink don't matter for this. See if my calculations make sense to you.

Sink faucet is 8-1/2 center of spout to center of stem

Back of sink to center of drain is 6". On yours, the measurement will be more diagonal to the side right at the point where your faucet will sit.

Then there's the offset -- distance from inside edge of sink to center of faucet stem is 3"

So my math is 6 + 3 = 9. Faucet is 8-1/2". OK. As you can see it empties into the drain, close to center, when it's pulled down.

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

rococogurl
    Thank you very much!
    I measured my sink usuing your pics as a guide so I think I have a good idea where the hole should go!
    ofcourse you could not follow my measurements- it should have said drain not faucet.....

Sink is 9 inches deep.
    Here are my sink drain measurements, drain is centered from left to right but is much closer to the back:

11 3/4 inches outside rim to drain center (from left and right)
    10 1/4 inches inside rim to drain center (from left and right)

7 1/2 inches outside rim to drain center (from back)
    6 1/2 inches inside rim to drain center (from back

• shannonplus2
    14 years ago

I've posted this a number of times, but it bears repeating. The best exercise to see which faucet fits well with your sink is to do cardboard cutouts. If your sink is not already installed, do a cardboard cutout of the sink, including the drain placement. Even though it's of course 2-dimensional, it will still be so helpful; set the cardboard sink cutout on your countertop. Then do a cardboard cutout of the faucet(s), using the specifications on the website to get as close as possible to the shape. I've used cardboard from shipping boxes. The cutouts are a bit tedious to do, but worth the hour or so. It's a great tool to see how the faucet will fit in the sink, how it might look in front of your window or backsplash, whether you like the height and the reach, etc.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Good luck with your install. No worries if it isn't super-exact (mine isn't but we had no space behind the sink) -- the counter top installers will love you for knowing what you want and should help make any adjustments if needed.

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

Thank you.
    My sink install went well. The faucet flows into the drain and since it is off to the side, can be swivelled if I need the flow in a different spot.
    I will try to post a pic later!

• lilsunfish
    12 years ago

Hello:
    My granite will be drilled in 2 weeks for main Kit Faucet, Filtered Water Faucet and Soap Dispenser. I'd really like all 3 Centered and not on corners of 'D'. My sink is about 20" from front to back. Has anyone done this? Will my faucet handle be too far back? That's my main concern. Thank You!
    I have the Kraus KBU-10 sink. I am 5'6". I guess you don't need my weight!