Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen Lighting Plan - need reveiw help

Posted by miruca (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 2:38

I've started the lighting plan - am I close? Need help, please - have to finalize for electrician this week.

photo KitchenLightingPlan_zpsd80403c9.jpg

I used:
4" Cree recessed
24-26" out from wall
36" in between lights
UCL for three range wall cabinets (15" and two 30" cabinets )

Starting point ...Placed sink lights about 18" to either side of faucet - is that right:? Does that give enough light over sink work area? Tried to avoid directly over sink based on prior GW comments .

Placed island lights at 4 corners. However, there is lobbying for 3 perhaps pendants over island. I am worried that pendants would not provide enough light, and would look like too much going on visually.

Placed one light centered at the stand alone "nook" cabinet - although this seems to violate the "not palce direclty overhead center" comments

Oven wall lights .. not sure of best placement, light above range is not centered on range, refrig and pullout area seem kind of dark so placed light above pull out at 34"?

Should dining area have four recessed lights near the corners in addition to the over the table light that hangs down? If so... should I get rid of the recessed at the cabinet near to the dining sliding door?

Tired posting for advice on the lighitng forum but no repsonses.... and this is a BIG decision!

Appreciate comments, pls.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitchen Lighting Plan - need reveiw help

You want a light directly over the sink area. Make that your starting point. And the lights should be no further than about 18" off the wall for runs with uppers, more like 12"-14" on walls without upper cabinets for under counter lighting. Where you have the lights placed currently will cause shadows on your work surface from people using the counters as workspace. You also need either a large multi-light pendant over your island or additional recessed lighting.

Not quite accurate as to placement, but it's the best I can do before coffee this morning with Paint. Color coded for the separate circuits that you will need. Add dimmers to each circuit. I'd recommend dimmers on EVERYTHING. Yes, it looks like a lot, but you're talking 4" lights, and with a dimmer, you can control the lighting levels.

o

Sorry, I can't help at all. I was outvoted on all things lighting by the GC, electrician and hubby. Frustrated! Grrrr.

o

It does look like a lot! Interesting on the 18"- everything I read says 24 to 26 due to the cone effect.

Will have to go back to think more about this.

Any other comments?

o

I agree with over the sink and on the island, and some light by door but use 26 for the rest. I wouldn't likely put in the extra row even with 4's but have to do the math. I prefer 5's for the added light and flexibility.

o

Be careful with placement of lights where you have upper cabinets. Don't forget to account for the cabinet depth plus crown molding. Measure the width of the housing, not just the light. Be aware that joists and ductwork can get in the way of your plan. Those are lessons I learned the hard way!

Post your plan on the lighting board for more good feedback.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here