Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pendant height over island, which looks better?

Posted by gooster (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 1:56

We're split on the height of our pendant over our island. Once is 30" above, the other is 36 1/4". The island is the typical 36". The ceiling height is 100".

Reading in the other threads, I see all sorts of advice, ranging from a low of 28" to a high of 40". Does it all come down to personal preference? Which looks better? Neither is a "head hitting" or "glare in my eyes" issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pendant height over island, which looks better?

I like the one that's lower. The other one looks like a real long ceiling fixture.

o

I seem to like the lower one. How about taking a picture that's further back if you can.

o

Lower. Definitely. (IMHO, lol!)

o

The lower one definitely!

o

I like the higher one because that's about where mine are hung. We are tall and mine are at 39" above the countertop so they don't impede vision. Imagine someone working on the prep side of the island and someone standing (because all the seats are take or BC or no seating) trying to have a conversation. There's nothing more annoying than having to speak "around" the pendants.

But, if the lower one at 66" (5'6") above the floor is above the line of sight of anyone in residence, that's fine too.

o

I vote for lower.

o

Lower for sure.

o

Lower!

o

Wow, overwhelming votes for the lower! There is some concern with the height on the short end of the island, it may interfere with a person working on the corner of that island. 66" is definitely below head height for the residents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here