Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishinforakitchen_gw

final layout: any issues that you can see?

wishinforakitchen
10 years ago

I'm so appreciative of all the comments you all have provided in the past about the various incarnations for my layout. The problem is the narrow width, and long long length and me being indecisive regarding opening the kitchen to the DR or LR. I tried too hard to like the opening, and am actually breathing a sigh of relief now that I've decided to keep the original footprint. Although I have changed the location of one doorway (left side) and changed window locations.

Please review and let me know what you think of the plan. Particularly focusing on function. Would you like to cook here. In my mind I walked through several recipes and it seemed to work.

My top priorities are to allow for 2 butts at one time, and lots of useful counter space. Just me (most of the time) and my DH (who can be found at the stove top or doing dishes).

Note: the cabinet on bottom right is for a pantry. It will be a 36"" walkway between the pantry and door into the garage (lower right door).

Thanks for any ideas/comments/critiques

Comments (4)

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

I'd place the banquette bench on the right wall [non window wall]-yes the bench will be shorter but the floorspace for chairs will be more flexible.this will help longterm for future owners who want to use this for family meal time.Unless you put a trestle table there, only 1 or 2 people at the bench will be able to have use of the table as shown. Is the fridge at the end of run to right of sink? try to get 18-24 in of counter to the right of fridge and consider the end cabinet a diag cut back style.....even if you shift the sink to the left in the window scape to allow this. Divide the pantry by garage door into two different formats-one section with upper and lower and counter and the remainder as your pantry cabinet. If you wish to leave the 4-5 ft of all pantry-reduce the depth to 12 or 15 inches. I'd find a different position for mwave.....to left of cooktop....skooch cooktopto the right and expand the counter area to it's left regardless. what is the repositioning of windows you are taking on and why? If the footprint of your space isn't changing, is there some compelling reason for that expense? unless you just want new windows-but all new positions-new headers/etc/that's a lot. Usually cooktops or the range are placed on exterior wall for easy venting-do you have venting all sorted out?

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

I would want to swap the DW and trash positions to get the DW door as far out of the main action zone as possible.

Where's the fridge?

L.

• eleena
    10 years ago

What about a corner banquette bench instead of a straight one?

• wishinforakitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the thoughtful responses-

Herbflavor-
    The table used to be at the other end of the room, so there was a large picture window there which will be removed. The window over the sink is being expanded and the one on the right remains the same. The windows are original to the 1950 house. We need new ones.

The range (Thermador) is pretty much staying in place, so I'm hoping that it was installed with proper venting when we purchased it 5 years ago. I am adding another oven for baking because this one, 36"", has never heated evenly. But is great for the gas cooktop and roasting, and for holding lots of food for large parties.

What is the purpose of moving the range to the right? You mean to make a larger landing between the oven and range? I thought 36"" would be plenty and provide the necessary landing space. Won't it look funny to have it non-symetrical?

It is a frig on the end of the run--are you suggesting adding the lower cabinet to make it easier to get in and out of a banquette? I like the idea, but I'm hesitant to do that because as is there is only 54"" of counter b/t the sink and frig (which I thought was prime prep space) that I would hate to give up.

Great ideas about the pantry.

Liriodendron-
    My thinking on trash placement, was that if that were the prime prep area, it would be better to have the trash on that side, as it will also contain the compost container.

I'll try to redo the banquette. I've always wanted one, but if I have to give it up I will.

Please keep giving me feedback. Your comments are appreciated. Wishin