Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
messyguy

need help with kitchen layout

messyguy
10 years ago

We need your input for our kitchen lay-out please! There are 2 areas that we couldn't make our final decision:
- Should the Fridge and Oven/microwave cabs be switched ?

-The Prep-zone to the leff of the sink needs bigger drawers(now are 12") for prep utensils, measure cups, small kitchen tools, ect
Should we down size the lazzy sussan on the left or on the right of the sink wall to 33"x33" to get a bigger drawers?

-A better lay-out instead of this ??
Thanks !

This post was edited by messyguy on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 15:50

Comments (14)

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I am not one of the layout gurus but I thing it looks nice with two exceptions. You should have your sink between the dishwasher and the trash. I use the trash during prep at the sink and would not want to be reaching over the dishwasher to access the trash. I would probably put the trash to the left, sink in the middle and dishwasher on right. Your work triangle looks pretty good. The fridge is well-located at the front of the room to avoid having people coming in to get something getting in your way. I would not switch with the oven. Either one of those appliances will get in the way of someone entering the room, at least a little, but you use the fridge more so it should be more accessible to you when cooking. I would try to lose one of those 12" drawer stacks to get larger drawers. 12" stacks are less useful than larger ones.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

How attached are you to the lazy susans? I would first eliminate the one on the peninsula, and put in drawers or a cabinet that you can access from the dining room. You gain 12" of cabinet to the right of the stove, and go from 18" to 30" on the peninsula.

If you completely close off the corner to the left of the stove, you gain 12" of drawers on each side of the corner. So you gain a wonderful 24"drawer stack to the right of the sink, and can have 18" stacks on each side of the stove (with the added benefit of centering the cooktop on that wall). I think the useful space gained would more than make up for losing the lazy susan in that corner.

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

I agree with NYCbludevils point about switching the DW - but in a different way. "They" (the layout gurus) say to avoid having the DW in prep space if you can - that way someone else can load/unload while you are prepping. Also, 'they' suggest having the trash IN the prep space so you can easily toss the slimy meat tray and such. So I'd put the DW on left, sink, then trash.

For the corner, I did a lot or reading on them a while back, and it seems the 33x33 are a bit hard to access. However, you can do a 33x36 and the extra 3 inches on the one side seems to really help. So you could shorten just one side and increase that side's drawer base to 15". Then you might want to change the other 12" drawer stack to a top drawer and a bottom pullout for sheets/cutting boards.

I also agree with annkh that changing to susan on the peninsula to a cab that opens to the dining room is a great idea. Put all the big occasional use items in there.

(This pic is a GWer and a garbage pullout, so probably 15", but still, 12" can hold some of the less used prep items or flater/smaller things - measuring cups/spoons, spatula, zester, etc.)

• seattlecraftsman
    10 years ago

Pair of quick renders to help elicit new ideas for you.
    Shown below swaps the dishwasher and sink as everyone has mentioned. I also replaced the peninsula Lazy Susan with a dining room facing cab :

(I'm not a fan of ovens immediately next to the fridge as you've got things that make stuff hot next to the thing that is trying to keep stuff cold...but that seems to just be my gripe.)

• messyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Nycbluedevil, Annkh, and Kathyny76 for the great feedbacks.
    -Nycbluedevil: We will have a small trash can under the sink in addition to the trash can next to DW.

-Annkh: Great idea ! now I will consider closing one of the corner, may be the one on the pennisula. Thanks!
    -KathyNY76: Love to move DW to the left of the sink, but it is too close to the corner, cann't open those drawers near that corner at the same time when load/unloading DW. Thanks!

• messyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KathyNY76 and Seattlecraftman: if we move the dishwasher to the right of the sink, it will help with the flow, but it is only 12" away from the corner. When we open the dishwasher , we cann't open those drawers. ?? I read somewhere that DW has to be at least 21" away from a corner. Any thought ?
    Thank you for your time !

• messyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KathyNY76 and Seattlecraftman: if we move the dishwasher to the right of the sink, it will help with the flow, but it is only 12" away from the corner. When we open the dishwasher , we cann't open those drawers. ?? I read somewhere that DW has to be at least 21" away from a corner. Any thought ?
    Thank you for your time !

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I have my dishwasher in a corner similar to what is shown in the pic above. Not an issue for me. The only drawer I can't open with the DW door open is the bottom one. Of course this assumes the racks are pushed inside the DW. I can open whatever drawer is not in the way of each other. Actually I have a door and then a drawer stack next to the door so both are affected in my case. It is no different than on the other side of my kitchen except there it is just cabinets. Can't open the drawers if the cabinet next to it is open.

I prefer having my dishwasher out of the way like that vs. right in the path of the sink and my prep space. Makes it easy to put stuff away into the dw when working and also allows somebody else to unload the dishwasher while I'm making dinner.

• MikeJrNY
    10 years ago

Switch the oven and the fridge and go with a 33" W lazy susan to get 15" W drawers. Otherwise lay-out looks good to go

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

You can't follow all the rules. What were you planning on putting in those drawers? If dishes, then that may be an issue. If just a few washable items then you can just set on the counter until you close the dw.

• messyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello,
    If we move the dishwasher to the left of the sink , that would separate the prep zone and cleaning zone , improve the kitchen traffic, but the prep zone counter will be too small ?? Any thought on this ??

Thanks,
    Messyguy

• sena01
    10 years ago

DW is 24" I guess.

How about DW on the left of fridge, then 12" drawer, Corner becomes 36x33 and then sink-trash-33" drawer.

• messyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sena01! I will check to see if it is close enough to the sink for rinsing before loading the dishes into DW.

• messyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sena01! I will check to see if it is close enough to the sink for rinsing before loading the dishes into DW.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs