Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Heated Floors under tiles anyone?

susanlynn2012
10 years ago

Anyone install heated floors under their tiles? I had water damage in my home that ruined my Brazilian Cherry Engineered Wood floors that were cold to my feet despite the Floor Muffler underneath on top of the cold concrete floor. I can't have rugs since my little 3.8 lb spayed female dog marks any rug! I am trying to decide if I should do an engineered wood floor again or install tile that looks like wood since my tile floors in my two foyer area show no sign of damage.

Comments (18)

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I have heated wires under my tile. We used Nuheat radiant heating wires. No carpets here.

• Rainwood
    10 years ago

I think radiant heat under tile floors is wonderful. We put it in the bathrooms, didn't in the entry and laundry/mud room for cost reasons but wish we had. Tile gets really cold.

That said, I don't have tile in my kitchen because I find it too hard to stand on for long periods and I don't want rugs everywhere in the kitchen because that's where the dog ends up and I never get to be on them anyway! We put in hardwood which I find easier on the legs.

• maggieq
    10 years ago

We have heated slate floors in our kitchen - oh so toasty. A definite splurge, but well worth it. Kitchen is now the warmest room in the house (we are on a slab). Regular gas heat hardly used all winter. Love love love it.

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

We have heated tile floors in 2 bathrooms and love it.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

Heated tile in the bathroom. It's heavenly.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for replying! It sounds like anyone who has heated tile floors is happy with the decision.

I will be looking into this feature as my feet get cold. I will find out the extra cost and see who knows how to install it if I do not do wood floors and do tile everywhere that looks like wood. I already have the tile for the kitchen but I want a different tile that looks like wood with heat underneath or wood again. My problem with the wood is it scratches easily and my dogs have no problems walking on the textured tile in the foyer area but slip and slide on the engineered smooth wood everywhere. Also due to the cement slab I live on as I live in the wetlands so I do not have a basement, the wood floors even on top of a pad were cold. Also it is so nice how easy the tile is to clean up in my two foyer area.

• Scott_809
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn,

If you are interested in heating tiles over a slab, you should attach a thermal break like cork or CeraZorb to the top of the slab first. Then put down the heating wire and then tile. Using a thermal break will keep the heat from getting sucked down into the slab. That will allow the wire to get warmer faster and warmer overall. Makes a faster acting, warmer floor. Good luck!

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Scott_809 for sharing this with all of us! I have printed it so I can make sure someone does this.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

We did not put heat under our tile floors. The bathrooms have rugs, so no problem there on a cold winter's night. I always have heavy socks on in winter, so no problem in kitchen either...unless I am going to be in there awhile..then I will put slippers on. I may have been misinformed, but I heard these heating systems only last a few years before problems set in and then in order to fix them you have to tear up the floor. It would have been way too expensive to put in the kitchen and laundry room.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joaniepoanie, thank you for sharing this as I never thought to find out the life of these heating systems. I will look into this. I

I never walk around my house without Merino Wool socks on and most of the time I keep my shoes on or slippers over this as I have Raynaud's and my feet and hands get so cold as my body reacts to the cold and changes in the temperature by constricting my blood vessels in a very exaggerated way making me have white feet with no blood in them and when the blood comes back it really hurts and they turn red before going back to their normal color. Hence, I try to prevent the attacks. My problem started when I was 14.5 years of age and got worse as I got older. My feet were so cold all winter with two pair of Merino Wool socks on and shoes in my home office with the floated engineered wood floor over the concrete. If it wasn't for my little dog's marking (she has a medical problem and the medicine is making her problem worse but it is just tiny squirts of pee easy to clean up as she is only 3.8 lbs), I would have washable area rugs everywhere. I have terrible allergies and I need to be able to wash the rugs often. I still have carpets in my Master Bedroom that are bothering my allergies and when I remove them one day, I will have to have an area rug to get out of bed to stand on despite sleeping with more than one pair of Merino Wool socks at night. My bathroom tile floors are always so cold when I get out of the shower even though I step on an area rug and I may need two rugs in that room.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joaniepoanie, thank you for sharing this as I never thought to find out the life of these heating systems. I will look into this. I

I never walk around my house without Merino Wool socks on and most of the time I keep my shoes on or slippers over this as I have Raynaud's and my feet and hands get so cold as my body reacts to the cold and changes in the temperature by constricting my blood vessels in a very exaggerated way making me have white feet with no blood in them and when the blood comes back it really hurts and they turn red before going back to their normal color. Hence, I try to prevent the attacks. My problem started when I was 14.5 years of age and got worse as I got older. My feet were so cold all winter with two pair of Merino Wool socks on and shoes in my home office with the floated engineered wood floor over the concrete. If it wasn't for my little dog's marking (she has a medical problem and the medicine is making her problem worse but it is just tiny squirts of pee easy to clean up as she is only 3.8 lbs), I would have washable area rugs everywhere. I have terrible allergies and I need to be able to wash the rugs often. I still have carpets in my Master Bedroom that are bothering my allergies and when I remove them one day, I will have to have an area rug to get out of bed to stand on despite sleeping with more than one pair of Merino Wool socks at night. My bathroom tile floors are always so cold when I get out of the shower even though I step on an area rug and I may need two rugs in that room.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wonder why my post appears twice when I only clicked once? I hope one of the posts will be deleted by the moderators so it only appears once.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Lynn - my mom suffers from Raynaud's also...and suffer is the right word for it. It's so tough.

You know, in a case like yours, even if the expected life span of the heating unit is just 5 years, it may be worth it. My step-sister and her husband have heated tiles in their house and I think they've had it now for a good 10 years. As far as I know, they haven't had any issues with it. And it's one of the few areas I know of that my mom can stand to walk around with just a light pair of slippers (like the Isotoner ballerina slippers).

Also, a bit off topic, but since part of your reason for the floors is due to Reynauds - have you looked into the Land's End shearling bootie slippers? Not cheap, but my mom wears hers all the time. (I have a pair too...even though I don't have Reynauds, I tend to be very cold...I wear mine with a pair of thick socks) The nice thing about the bootie style is that it helps to keep ankles from getting cold also.

The main drawback to tile that I know if (if the coldness factor is eliminated) is that it is a hard surface. Much harder to stand on than wood. So, definitely keep that in mind as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Land's End shearling slippers

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

We have (unheated) tile in the kitchen dining room also and I second the bootie slippers. My feet are always cold and I wear them almost year round! Sort of off topic but I wanted to second Andrea's link. :)

I am curious to know life expectancy of heated flooring also. It's quite an expense and I have kicked it around (dh says no way) for our new build coming this winter/next spring. I think it would be great for a mudroom that gets a lot of snow tracked in - dry it right up!

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

Most systems have a 25 year warranty. You install double sensors so if one fails it still works.

We DIY'd it in both bathrooms and under our kitchen island granite. Each unit was less than $500. Well worth it.

• angie_diy
    10 years ago

Like Debrak, I have never heard of the heaters wearing out. They are just nickel-chrome wires, just like you would find in your toaster (except obviously operating at a much lower temperature). When is the last time your toaster wore out?

There is a greater chance of the temperature sensor wearing out. Like Debrak, I also installed double sensors, just in case! Mine was also DIY

Love my heated floor!

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you andreak100 for your post and letting me know that you understand as your mother suffers with Raynaud's also. I had bought three pair of thermal slippers from Lands End a few years ago that cover my ankles but these look even warmer so I will order a pair. I also have Shearling Lined Born Leather Boots that I still wear 2 pair of Merino Wool socks under them and my feet never sweat. They work if it is not freezing out since then nothing works for my cold feet but the Shearling really helps so I will try these slippers and go up a size to wear two pair of Merino socks under them. Thank you.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Autumn4, thank you for letting me know that you also wear the shearling lined booties from Land's End. I will order a pair.

Debrak_2008, & Angie_DIY, thank you for both letting me know about the long warranty and that if you get double sensors, you are usually safe.