Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watercolorist_gw

Has the "glazing cabinets" ship sailed?

watercolorist
11 years ago

I am about to order a new painted cabinet kitchen. The color is Classic White. It's not a bright white. It's soft with some cream tones. The company is offering free glazing right now and I am tempted to add a light platinum accent. We choose millenium cream granite, which has some grey in it as well as cream tones. We have hardwood oak floors.

I am concerned the glazing craze has sailed. Would love your opinions.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

It may have, but do you really care? Are you planning on selling this house in the next 10 years? If you think you may sell, then perhaps you should give the glazing a pass. If not, then you should suit yourself entirely. This sounds like a lovely kitchen you're planning, and when you're done it should please you, not some magazine, on a very personal level.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

For everything there will be people who like and dislike things most when they are not the most popular. That's okay, but to answer your question, I thought it had when I planned my kitchen 7 years ago. They're still doing it, so what did I know. I do think the heavier, darker and more prominent glazes are not in favor for new kitchens, but you are talking about a lighter one. That's how they keep things alive -- changing them up.

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

I still get standard plenty of glaze on wood.
    Make sure you see a sample, some brands standard glaze on paint are not great (even greys).
    On paints more often see softer glazes "brushed" "vintage" etc. Those are not usually free though and some are better than others.

• watercolorist
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for shaing your thoughts with me.

@Suzannel, no, we are not planning on selling. This is a beach house that will stay in the family. I am trying to think about what pleases me. However, this process is so overwhelming that it is easy to loose site some times. :)

@Lascatx, the company is Dura Supreme/Crestwood Line, and the type of glaze is called accent. It slightly hits the grooves and corners. Although it is light pale grey on the sample, I dream about the doors coming in with heavier lines on them or having a dingy look. The process is done by hand.

@Jakuvail, it is free only because they are running a sale until May first.

At this point, I have cancelled the glaze. I think the result will be a light, bright kitchen with "sand-like" color granite. Satin nickel hardware should provide an element of grey to pull up the tones in the granite. The next step is choosing a backsplash. I am thinking of incorporating sand color & greys, with a little glass for some sparkle!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

No I don't think the ship has sailed on what you are considering. The one that sailed in our area is the outlining type that looks like brown pinstripe shadows in every crevice. What you are describing sounds beautiful and I would definitely do that. I like the way glaze makes the paint feel soft and it seems to protect it more.

• watercolorist
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input, gr8day!

I have to place the order this week or we won't have a kitchen until July 4th. I am vascillating and its making my husband crazy. I know what you mean about the pinstrips. That is not the look I want.

What if the "accent" approach goes out of favor in 2 years? I won't be doing the kitchen again. This is it! Oy, what to do? When I look on Houzz, all of the new kitchens appear to have fairly simply cabinetry without glazing.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County