Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

What style vent hood for a small, very open kitchen?

texasgal47
10 years ago

My apologies for being all over the roadmap on this one. I'm struggling with the style of vent hood that would look best in my small U-shaped kitchen and still meet my venting needs. One side is completely open to a traditional style living area on one side with a 4 ft. wide peninsula separating the two areas. Fortunately, both areas have a vaulted ceiling to give a more spacious appearance. The center section of the kitchen U is only 9 ft. wide and has a 30" induction cooktop in the middle with a wall oven below to minimize the interruption of appliances in the small space. A 30" w x 24"h x 12"d cabinet is 36" above the cooktop with 42" h cabinets on either side. The vent is on an inside wall of a single story house. For various reasons I've ruled out an inline and an exterior vent fan. I know a 24" deep hood is preferable but don't know if a hood that deep would look too dominant in that small space. Also, there is a beautiful lit wall cabinet that faces the familyroom and was designed to be the focal point of the kitchen. My kitchen doesn't need two focal points. Here are my options:

1. A 6" high SS Windster hood that is only 18 1/2" deep and curved in the front mounted below my cabinets. Two reviews were favorable re: quietness and build quality. However, it has aluminum mesh filters and one complaint about a bluish quality to the LED lights. I would do my frying and simmering at the back of the stove to make up for the loss in depth and improve capture.

2. A 5 1/2" h under cab. mounted SS Kobe. It has the oil cups and I'm not too keen on that look.

3. Flush mounted range hoods that slide out. The sone ratings seem to suggest they would probably be noisier than I would like. However, this would undoubtably give the best look for the kitchen in my opinion.

4. Remove the cabinet above the cooktop and have a custom cabinet made that slants upward to the top of the adjacent cabinets and install a Zephyr Monsoon DCBL range hood. It has the lowest sone rating on the market for a vent fan built into a hood. It also has LED lighting and baffles which I like. The hood bottom would have a final depth of 23" from the backsplash. I like everything about the hood except it's depth.

5. Remove the cabinet and install a snazzy glass wall hood that would rise above the stacked molding and sheetrock around the vent pipe above the cabinets, before it enters the ceiling. I already have above cabinet lighting which looks dramatic and am reluctant to go with this option.

Which option would you go with from the list above? Any additional thoughts, especially if you have lived with one of these options or have a deep vent hood in a small kitchen.?

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 8:05

Comments (2)