Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chefkev_gw

Obsessing over undercabinet lighting - advice requested

chefkev
15 years ago

I am going back and forth endlessly about which undercabinet lights to get. I've looked at a bunch of old posts and am leaning towards fluorescent T4 or T5s. I know the Xenon's give off a more pleasing light (higher CRI), but I looked at them at the Menards display, and while they may be cooler than Halogen, they were still hot enough to burn my finger.

I have 4 cabinets (30", 36" and two 21") that the lights will go under. The T5s are lower profile and will only stick down 7/8" so they'll be practically invisible without adding any extra trim or valance. The T4s will stick down 1/2" more but come in more sizes so I effectively can get more light under each cabinet.

21" cab (T5-8w vs. T4-16w) 30" cab (T5-16w vs. T4-20w) 36" cab (T5-21W vs. T4-24w)

I have 6 incandescent can lights in an 11 x 15 kitchen, so I've already got pretty good lighting. Should I get the T5s because they stick down less, or will difference in wattage be significant enough that I'd better off with the T4s. Please give an opinion and help me stop obsessing - or at least help me obsess better. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: link to pegesus lighting which carries both lights

Comments (22)

• maydl
    15 years ago

I was obsessing the same as you are now. Have you read Pegasus's text about their T4 and T5 fixtures that says both are too small to hardwire without an additional power box that is 2 inches deep? That was a deal breaker for me. On the advice of amsunshine on this forum, I ordered W.A.C. Lighting's T5 fixtures that are 7/8 inches deep and 2-5/8 inches wide, but do not need a separate wiring box. They also come in bronze as well as white, and I ordered the bronze. I haven't received them yet, but amsunshine liked the way the fixtures looked and worked. I still plan to order the Pegasus T8 fixtures for over-cabinet lighting.

• lmarletto
    15 years ago

maydl, do you have the model #'s for those fixtures? In searching online I'm only finding WAC fixtures that measure 1 1/4" X 5". TIA.

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maydl - great point about the additional power boxes. Can you post the exact link for your W.A.C. Lighting - several possibilities came up when I did a search. It looks promising.

• holligator
    15 years ago

I also obsessed about this issue FOREVER and, when it was time to decide, I still didn't know what I wanted. My electrician recommended putting in strips that are basically encased rope lighting because they were super inexpensive and would give me some light there until I finally decided. He also didn't want the hardwiring to stay loose in the meantime until I decided.

Well, guess what? These lights are just fine, and I think I'm going to stick with them. They are dimmer than some of the other choices, but that's OK with me. I do the vast majority of my prep work at the island, and my hood has bright halogen lights for the stove. With so much other light from my recessed cans, pendants, and hood, I can count the number of times I have actually needed the extra light from the undercabinet fixtures on one hand. I use them more for "mood" lighting or as a kitchen nightlight when we have had guests. For something I use so little, I'm now glad I didn't spend more.

• amsunshine
    15 years ago

chefkev: here's the link to the light bars I have. If you click on "specification sheet" toward the bottom, it will take you to the specs that show these are 7/8" deep. I do really like these light bars.

Here is a link that might be useful: WAC fluorescent light bar

• maydl
    15 years ago

Thanks to amsunshine for posting the link for chefkev; I'm not sure I'd know how to do that! Can't wait to see my W.A.C. fixtures!

• tartanhabit
    15 years ago

chefkev, that was me last week - agonizing. I have now ordered WAC under cab xenon lights. I know you are moving away from that idea because of the heat. A friend has these and swore she didn't have problems so I'm going with these.

Here is a link that might be useful: xenon under cabinet lighting

• tkbalt
    15 years ago

We ended up going with Xenon also - CSL Mach 120 series - 1 1/8 depth. Still in boxes waiting on cabinet installation - keeping our fingers crossed.

Here is a link that might be useful: CSL Lighting

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Holigator - I didn't even think of that option - it's a nice one to have.
    maydl - Thanks for checking back in and especially for pointing out those wiring boxes.
    amsunshine, tartanhabit, tkbalt - Thanks so much - I'm poring over your links. Really appreciate the help!

• stretchad
    15 years ago

holligator - where did you or your electrician find the encased rope lights? I'd like to do under the cabinet lighting, but only for "mood" lighting. I will end up doing most of my prep on my island, which will have either cans or pendants over it.

Seems like what you're describing might be a better, more economical option!

• mondragon
    15 years ago

I have the Xenon strip lighting. Because the bulbs are so spread out they don't get noticeably hot from any place I work near them. And the light is very even.

• hollylh
    15 years ago

those of you who have xenon--do you notice the cabinet above getting hot? I currently have halogen which are DEFINITELY going in our remodel--they heat up the cabinet and whatever is below--I can't even leave a bag of bread on the counter because the heat makes it start to mold in a day or so. Like chefkev I am leaning toward flourescent for this reason...but curious about those who say they haven't noticed heat with xenon.

this is a very helpful thread, I am printing the whole thing out.

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Hollylh - why are "halogen DEFINITELY going in your remodel"? It has been widely reported on this Forum that halogen is way too hot for undercabinet use, including people reporting scorched cabinetry and ruined food. The other options of xenons or microfluorescents are so much more preferable. In fact, I didn't think anyone was even installing halogen undercabs any more.

I have xenon undercab lighting. They do not get hot. But I think it is important to get the xenon strips that are open, not closed (closed meaning having a plastic cover over the strip). I believe the closed xenons strips can get a bit hot, but nothing like the halogens. Alternatively, you can get the microfluorescents as discussed on this thread. They cannot be dimmed, if that is important to you. The Xenons can be dimmed.

• muscat
    15 years ago

I dont know if you want more options, rather than fewer, but I have GE T5 undercabinet lights from HD, of all places, and I'm super happy with them. They are direct wire, with no boxes, and I'm very happy with the amount of light output. They come in 18", 24", 36", 48". The are just under 1" thick (basically 15/16"). I was about to buy pegasus lights, but went with buying them from a brick and mortar for the ease of return if needed.

This cabinet shown was best filled with one 24" and one 36" fixture, and the light output ended up being very even and full.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• amsunshine
    15 years ago

akchicago -- I think you misunderstood holly's post. I think she meant the halogens are "going" as in "going bye-bye". But she can correct me if I'm wrong.

• froggie49
    15 years ago

I used Juno T5, which I ordered from Beverly Hills Electric online. They came in stainless, rather than white plastic.
    I like them very much

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For those of you who posted about Xenon lights, I don't expect that they will make the work area overly hot. I do worry about them warming up my cabinet as I'll have spices (which can rapidly degrade in quality with heat) in at least one the cabinets.

But the big concern is if someone accidentally touches the lights (we tend to gesture a lot in my family) it will be unpleasant. When I touched the cover on the xenon lights in several store displays it was unpleasant (even the "low wattage" ones). My hands are a lot more heat resistant than most, so I could easily live with it, but am concerned DW and 11yr old DD will not be happy.

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again to everyone for their help and ideas. I found some 1" thick direct wire capable T5 fluorescents from Pegasus that will allow me to fit in the most wattage (8,16,21) for my perspective cabinet sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus Fluorescent T5 Thin-Inch Light Fixtures

• maydl
    15 years ago

chefkev: Are you sure you want the cool white bulbs that come with the fixture? If not, you'll have to pay extra to get warm white or daylight bulbs.

But congratulations on finding the right fixture. No more stressing and obsessing!

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maydl - do you have a recommendation on which bulbs to get?

• maydl
    15 years ago

Chefkev, the only undercabinet lights I have experience with so far are the ones we've been using for the last 20 years in our "before" kitchen (demo starts 4/28). I recently removed a bulb to see what it was: a T12 "warm white". I've ordered warm white bulbs for my new T5 fixtures, too, but I have to admit that I'm intrigued with the idea of daylight bulbs for task lighting, especially with food. Maybe others on this forum have used daylight bulbs for this purpose and can tell you what the difference is--worth a new query?

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

bump