Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calculating isle width

Posted by jasperdog (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 0:39

Is the isle width calculated from counter top edge to counter top edge, cabinet door to cabinet door, or cabinet front to cabinet front?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calculating isle width

Are you asking about aisle width (i.e. the space between two cabinet runs or a cabinet and an appliance) or the width of an island (isle)?

The NKBA recommends an aisle width of at least 42" for one cook or 48" for two, measured from counter frontage to tall cabs/appliances. A walkway should be at least 36".

If you're asking about an island you'll have to be more specific.

o

Excellent question. I just did a search on this the other night. The Kitchen FAQ's provides some good information on this and says to measure from counter to counter (not cabinet to cabinet, or toekick to toekick).

In my current kitchen there was a full 10" difference between the "counter to counter" vs the "toekick to toekick" - which certainly emphasizes how important it is that you and your contractor are using the same method.

o

Aisle width is always measured between the narrowest obstructions to your passing through a point. If that obstruction is a refrigerator handle or stove handle and your island countertop, you measure the narrowest distance between the two. That's the most restrictive point, and that is the minimum width under discussion. It does no good to have a 36" width from counter to counter, only to have a refrigerator stick out another 12" into that space. You have to measure between that refrigerator counter and the closest adjacent object, and there is no way in heck that 24" between a refrigerator and any adjacent counter will ever satisfy code or work well in a kitchen.

o

Yes, aisle width. I must have been tired last night. Thank you for the responses. Our plans are drawn for 48" between the cabinets. By the time we account for the counters and range that narrows it down so that we should still have at least 42".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here