Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan90621

White Princess Quartzite, Where oh Where?

dan90621
12 years ago

Hi, new here, been reading for awhile, 1st post. My wife and I are in the middle of a major kitchen family room remodel, taking down 3 load bearing walls, putting up 4 steel beams to hold up the 2nd story, all for a new modern kitchen. High gloss white perimeter cabinets and a large 10' x 5' high gloss dark wood textured island. So we have gone around 360 degrees multiple times on the countertops. We actually purchased 2 beautiful statuary marble slabs, but after doing more research, decided with our lifestyle it was not a good choice, so as many have done here, I discovered White Princess Granite/Quartzite (depending on who you talk to).I am in Southern California, we have multiple slab yards close to us, but have only found 1 slab of this. It is way too small and not a beauty like I have seen on Gardenweb. So I am putting out a plea, to anyone who may know where I can find this locally, or if not, anywhere. I hate to pay for shipping, but you know I really want to give my lovely wife what she deserves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)

• ratrem
    12 years ago

Have you looked for whie Macaubus, or Super white? Those might work. Are you set on a white Quartzite? I have seen some lovely ones that are lighter colored with great subtle movement, but maybe not as white as you would like.

• sanjuangirl
    12 years ago

If you're in Southern CA (as I am), have you been to Anaheim? Santa Ana, Orange.... There are quite literally dozens of granite yards. You could even call them and email over a photo (since many yards change the names of stones) and ask without driving everywhere. The White Princess is beautiful. I considered it too since I'm not careful enough to get marble. I finally choose White Alpinus Quartzite. Good Luck!
    Be sure to post photos of your slabs once you've found them. I Loved shopping for granite right by Disneyland!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Get ready for price shock. When I priced it for our new build it suddenly has been declared a hot item. It was more than 1.5x the cost of the Super White (which wasn't cheap either).

It is beautiful, but they are on to us.....they are raising their prices. Maybe you can find a smaller place that doesn't know that it's "hot" and get it for something that isn't outrageous.

Good luck.

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

I'm in LA and scoured the area last year for it. There are a ton of stone yards in Burbank and none of them had it. The only place I found it was up at DaVinci in the Bay Area (San Carlos, about halfway between San Francisco and San Jose). It's beautiful, but as bee mentioned, very pricey.

• shappy
    12 years ago

Call Dale at the Marble Yard in Anaheim and ask him if he has any. He's done 2 jobs for me, nicest guy ever.

• dan90621
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, I have started looking at the super white, white cloud, they are nice, I know the price isn't cheap, I went online and sent out 20 emails to yards from DaVinci down to San Diego. Got a few hits. Funny you mention Dale at the marble yard, the 2 marble slabs we bought and returned were from him. He is a very nice person. We need a 125 x 66 inch for the island. Luckily we are still a long way from putting the countertops on, so I will keep looking, I am confident we will find what we are looking for.

• dan90621
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi All, well I have had a little bit of luck. I have found it in LA, just not large enough. It is actually the Super White, they call is Winter cloud. It is very nice. The guy there is getting another shipment in a couple of months so he is going to try and see if he can get the size I need 125x70, we are going with 2 inch edge. He also told me about a product call Tuff Skin. It is a coating for Marble that protects it from etching and staining. The co is out of Las Vegas and has done a bunch of bars there like The Onyx Bar, I guess this stuff really works. He said the only thing is you cannot put Hot Pots or Pans on it, other than that, squirt lemons on it and it will not etch. I do not know the cost, there are dealers nationwide. It is put on by them. Thought I would share. My 4 steel beams were delivered today. Let the fun begin.

• Ev Mann
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I am considering Tuffskin for a marble island in kitchen, wondering if you ended up using it and whether you are happy with the results.
    Thanks

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Tuffskin is a 4 mil polyester coating developed by DuPont, the manufacturers of Zodiaq (estone) and Corian.

• cani
    10 years ago

I'm in the LA area and am currently looking for quartzite. For those living here, could you give me names of places to look. Preferably in the Hollywood, Burbank, Van Nuys area. I suppose I could go to Anaheim but it's a ways and I'm running out of time. Have checked out Stonemart and they have gorgeous slabs but most of the ones I have seen seem to be more gray than a white base. Maybe that is how the slabs are and what I am looking for doesn't exist.