Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyjoyjoy_gw

Remodel in progress.. UPDATE!

joyjoyjoy
13 years ago

I only wanted to strangle my husband once, but it lasted about 8 days. After rewiring the kitchen, they (dh and my brother) decided to put more outlets in the bedrooms. That made a plaster mess in each bedroom, while we still had one down here. There was nowhere to go..every room was a mess! It also resulted in wiring somehow being removed from the walls that went to my living room and dining room ceilings. They're not sure how to fix it without smashing down more walls. That's why there is a big ugly lamp in my dining room.

Other than that, we've got a temporary set up that seems to be ok.. but got some good news from the cabinet guy. He can begin building our cabinets next week! yay!!! I'll probably end up changing that dining room lower wall color a bit, but I'll wait until everything else is done to make sure. I originally thought I wanted dark floors but now I'm thinking that staying light might be a good idea. The dining room floors in this pic still have some drywall dust on them so they look lighter than before I kinda maybe like it... it just seems bigger and brighter with the lighter floors i think. Also the red curtains are temporary...

Before:

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

today:

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Looks like a lot is happening! Fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly for you ;)
    I think I'd actually like the floors in the dr to be a shade darker. It would make them recede a little and make your furniture and trim stand out as more warm by comparison.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

So much more open with that wall down. Great job! And good news on your cab maker. Mine is starting my cabs now too! Although I'm starting to wonder if well be ready for them when they're done. Probably not..

Cute boys too!

• herbflavor
    13 years ago

I love the photo of your guardian Patriarch on the wall thru your efforts...be careful-my mom lost something breakable from pounding and vibration in an adjacent area in her home..she was sad.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

hi joy!

wow, that's really nice opened up!

i really like the green paint you chose for the kitchen... when you said "pea soup" originally, i wasn't so sure. ;)

did you choose a color for the "yellow" cabinet yet?

very exciting! glad your progress is going well, and the 8-day-wanna-strangle-dh is probably par for the course. :)

thanks for keeping us posted!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I love to see walls tumbling down!

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

You did save that beautiful wood trim around the dining room door, right? I like open to the kitchen. I wasn't sure I would because it's an old home, but it looks great. Yay for new cabinets! I hope the building goes smoothly.

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone.. We did save the wood... the side pieces will be going back up, but we'll have to get new wood to go across the top of that opening but my dad is really good at matching things up. The space between the other rooms is all open so this actually seems like a better fit than such a closed of space like it was before. You can see a little bit of the bookcase/woodwork that separates the dining room from the living room in those pics.

The green is a little more yellowy than it looks in the pics but I really love it.. looks great with my woodwork. The yellow I chose is Diamond Vogel "the outback" its a darker yellow/gold color.

The cabinet guy was just here taking final measurements and getting my color choices. He is excited to get started!

We're going to tackle the floors next, so I do need to chose a color... UGH!! I just want to be done choosing colors!!

• harrimann
    13 years ago

Is that an electrical outlet on the cabinet in front of the sink?

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually that is the switch for disposal. Classy, eh?

• harrimann
    13 years ago

Niiice!