Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

"Insane green" antique sink? Love it or leave it?

greenhaven
10 years ago

For the record I am NOT considering buying this sink, I am just in shock at what has been done to it.

What do you think? A travesty? Or cutting edge?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (26)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

It would be nice to have link or photo. :)

This post was edited by writersblock on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 0:16

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What the heck? maybe it has been taken down already.

lemme try again...

Here is a link that might be useful: insane green sink

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

You can powder coat in any color. That's a classic example of the kind of refinishing to avoid, aside from the color, although I love those sinks.

But after the 20s sinks did get pretty colorful, like this one (original sink, original metal cabinet):

I'd guess that's late 40s or 50s, but not sure. The deck mounted faucet means it's not super old.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bwelieve it or not I am actually really digging that first pic you posted! Not feeling the " insane green" though.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

The linked photo might have had bad lighting. Your photos are cool writersblock. It's hard to say - something like that can really make the kitchen. My children's art therapist has an incredible turquoise old sink in her otherwise restrained kitchen. It is surrounded by plants in her bay window...so beautiful.

• plllog
    10 years ago

Context, people! Context!

The insane green sink in a guy's retro futuristic kitchen could be amazingly cool. Think stainless steel lab cabinets floating on reclaimed mirrored slatwall with white fillers in the channels, and pale bleached scaffold planks for countertops. Matching insane green BlueStar range and trim on commercial beverage cooler fridge (sliding glass doors). Big cobalt blue blown glass pendants on chunky anchor chains. Pumpkin orange cushions on diner stools.

Yep. I'm lovin' me some insane green drainboard sink...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

No, I'm afraid I don't think it's bad lighting. I've seen many of their sinks on ebay over time. They just have terrible color sense: bright purple, barfy greens, always poor hue choices.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Yes, I could totally see a wild color scheme in that kind of kitchen, plllog, but personally just not any of *their* wild colors. I've even done color correction on a couple of them to be sure it's not a color cast from lighting, but it made no difference.

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

Honestly? I'm kind of amazed, I've never seen a sink that color.

It would never fit with my style but, in the right environment, like a sink in a green house or dedicated gardening space, it could be cool.

• schicksal
    10 years ago

I'd be down with a ming green sink, but in a bathroom we're un-remudeling back to a look the same age as the house is.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Words cannot express how sorry i feel for that sink.....

Even if it was in someones garage or if it was some kind of nickelodean kitchen (i don't know why sponge bob comes to mind) it's just a mistake

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

plllog, my head hurts just thinking about it, ha ha! I will grant that in the right setting it could be appreciated as.....interesting.....

Color aside, I would hate to have to wash in the corner, as this was so onviously designed to do.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Writersblock, where in the world do you find your pics?? When i was doing my kitchen my first thought was to have the base of my vintage sink refinished in a color and it was so hard to find examples. I would've loved to have come across your first photo.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Writersblock, where in the world do you find your pics?? When i was doing my kitchen my first thought was to have the base of my vintage sink refinished in a color and it was so hard to find examples. I would've loved to have come across your first photo.

• julia42
    10 years ago

I love that sink. All of them really. I would totally put one of those in my kitchen if I could sneak it by my husband (not much chance of that one staying under the radar).

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

"Cream & Green" was a kitchen trend in the 20's-30's, but I never knew it extended past utensils, appliances (hand-cranked eggbeaters) and furniture. The sink definitely has a WOW factor hard to get any other way.
    Casey

• Fori
    10 years ago

I like it, but I wouldn't want a corner sink. :P

I'm tempted to do my island in that obnoxious apple green Caesarstone. Why shouldn't a kitchen be fun?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Writersblock, where in the world do you find your pics??

Here are some good places to start:

http://retrorenovation.com

http://www.antiquehomestyle.com (for 20s and 30s in particular)

http://www.midcenturyhomestyle.com (sister site)

Actually if you start at antique home style, that's a great resource for links to get you going.

Also, google books has digitized a lot of old magazines and reading through those is very informative. I was so surprised to see what Good Housekeeping was like in the teens and 20s, for instance. Very feminist, very out there about women working, articles on successful businesswomen, articles by Emmeline Pankhurst, and so on. It surely surprised me a lot to see the statement that "all men oppress all women" in a mag like that in 1914. Even the ads are geared to the modern women. There was a car company (not one that's still around, sorry, can't remember which right at the moment) that advertised that these two suffragists drove 1400 miles in our latest roadster. Lots of articles to the effect that if your husband can afford any kind of car or tractor for the farm he can durned well afford to get you electricity and a dishwasher, too, since your work is as important as his.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

I really like the insane green sink. Not for my kitchen. But for a laundry room or mudroom or to pot my plants on- awesome!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I'm with Julia ... I love 'em all, especially the insane green! And really admire people with the guts and panache to use them. I live in an entire community of beige sameness where showing individuality with color is frowned upon, so those pictures give me the urge to go outside and paint something green, the more insane the better!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know I shouldn't be, but I am nevertheless surprised at how many people really appreciate that sink! Just goes to show you....something...I guess. ;o)

Super-bright colors give me some anxiety, and I have never quite figured out that not everyone is like me.

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

Lol greenhaven my house would probably send you into a panic attack. I grew up with lots of pale or white around me and it feels sterile and cold...like a hospital. I don't have a single white or even muted pale color in my house. Just got finished painting my large walk in pantry orange last night!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I could love the pale green in the first of writersblock's examples, but the others just aren't greens that I like too much. Whoever said it is right, though, context is everything!

I have a Good Housekeeping housekeeping book from about 1920 -- recipes and tips -- I must scan some of it and post it here, at the very least, the pictures of their test kitchen!

• deedles
    10 years ago

Love all those pics!

I have a vintage green sink, more of a blue green from the early 20's/late teens. Kohler brand. I love it and am sad that I can't take it with me when we move. Oh, and it has a deck mount faucet so all old sinks weren't for wall mount faucets.

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

Like the second one better, mostly because it is bigger and there is more sink space with the two sinks... I would love to be able to design a kitchen around it, but well, I am having Kitchen Brain Drain. Wherever the creative cells are they have gone home to roost.