Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gap between cabinets and ceiling

Posted by trailrunner_rockies (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 0:06

We have 30 in cabinets (they actually measure about 31in from top to bottom). We are replacing the 8ft fluorescent bulbs and lowered ceiling with recessed lighting and perhaps a fixture. I know that often people use molding to fill the gap between the ceiling and the tops of the cabinets, but I haven't seen more than six inches of molding. We have eight inches between the cabinets and ceiling, and while I would love to replace the cabinets, it's just not in the budget right now.

So, what do I do? Eight inches isn't much space between cabinets and ceiling, so it might look odd. Would it be better or worse to fill that gap with molding? Any creative solutions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gap between cabinets and ceiling

We added a soffit to fill the gap between the tops of our cabinets and the ceiling--didn't like the idea of cleaning up there and thought it would look uneven. I think it looks fine--here's a picture:  photo IMG_1724_zpsb6ba103b.jpg

o

I think an 8-inch molding would look fine on a 36" or taller cabinet, but a little large above a 30.

I think you'd also have trouble getting it to blend nicely with the built-in molding on your existing cabinets.

Does the molding on your cabinets come off?

You might try a crown molding that doesn't reach the ceiling... maybe four inches, then another crown molding, perhaps painted, in the wall/ceiling corner.

Google Image Search

o

We did a crown molding and flat trim combo to fill the gap. It's a little less overwhelming than all crown. I don't have a great picture, but you can see it below. We got the idea from a friend's kitchen that had a full 4" of the flat trim before their smaller crown started. It turned out that it was a good thing we planned on the flat trim because our ceiling level varied considerably and the flexibility in the height of the flat trim disguises a multitude of sins.

photo DSC01094.jpg

o

We will have 36 in cabs, but a flat filler before the crown starts. It will all be tha same wood/stain so it won't stick out. You may want to check into that using a somewhat larger but less complicated crown. 6-8 in of a very ornate crown might not look right, but a flat piece with 4 in might be ok, depends on the look.

o

I think a flat filler with a crown is a good solution, just as williamsem suggested.

You could also try to use base board trim flip it upside down and then add a smaller crown. You can get some more detail without having to do a large crown and it won't be as plain as just a straight filler. I think it depends on the look you're going for.

o

Here's an example where a flat piece has been added to the top before some crown.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet alteration

o

We have 36" cabinets and opted to have a deep trim molding along the top.

o

jaynees...may I ask your ceiling height please ..thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here