Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worth Time/Money on a Free ~10 year old Viking Range

Posted by faulstr (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 0:04

We got a free Viking 36 inch gas range that is approx 10 years old. It looks rough but my husband has put a few hours in today cleaning it up and that looks to be promising. However it also has an electrical issue so we'll definitely have to spend some money. We will be building a new house later this year and love the idea of being able to incorporate a Viking range in our kitchen because that would be out of our budget. But is a 10 year old Viking worth fixing up to put in a brand new house?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worth Time/Money on a Free ~10 year old Viking Range

Only if you're willing to treat it like an antique and completely refurbish it. Electronics, insulation, hinges, all of those expensive little parts. They don't have a good reputation for reliability or longevity. And no one ever gets rid of anything tnat they find useful.

o

Can't speak to Viking specifically, but we are getting rid of a high end dual-fuel Dacor range that we've had for 12 yrs. It is still a beautiful looking appliance that I'm certain someone would even still pay to have in their kitchen. But I wouldn't give it to anyone I know in good conscience knowing the costly and inconvenient problems we've had with its electronics. I would heed hollysprings' warnings on this.

o

I took a 48" Viking as final payment on a countertop job a decade ago. My wife spent a day cleaning it (bachelor owned) and it worked great even though we did have to replace a $150.00 ignitor. We heated the house with it when the furnace went out.

It's certainly worth cleaning and taking a gamble with, especially for free.

o

Consider that in a new build your precise appliance measurements will be used to create your cabinet layout and the template for your countertops. If the range fails, it might not be easy to just slide in a new one. Ask me how I know ;(

Just something worth thinking about before you take the gamble.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here